By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ustream on Consoles: Not Exclusive to PS4

IGN

When the PlayStation 4 was revealed in New York City, one of the interesting features Sony showed off was PS4’s integrated Ustream capability. Ustream, according to the company’s founder and CEO Brad Hunstable, is “the largest live social broadcasting platform in the world,” and as such, the implications of Ustream on PS4 are considerable.

In short, what you do on PlayStation 4 can be seamlessly broadcast to the rest of the world.

In a conversation with IGN, Hunstable touted the strength of his platform (the company had a staggering 8 million viewers tune in simply to see an asteroid fly-by). Even the PlayStation 4 reveal was live on Ustream: over one million people at one time were watching it. “It had an average view time of one hour,” Hunstable said, “for essentially a two-hour-long Sony PlayStation commercial.”

The theme of our conversation with Hunstable focused on a single word: ubiquity. Hunstable wants Ustream everywhere, and he confirmed to IGN that, in terms of current and next-generation consoles, Ustream is in no way, shape or form exclusive to the PlayStation 4.

When asked if “UStream’s next-gen console capability [is being] relegated to PlayStation,” Hunstable answered, “no, it’s not.”

He elaborated: “There’s not something I can announced today, but we will… Again, I go back to our strategy, which is to be ubiquitous as well. I want to bring live broadcasting – that’s our mission – to broadcasters of all sizes, but also viewers, wherever they are. We are laser-focused on making sure that happens.”

When specifically pressed about Microsoft’s next Xbox and Nintendo’s Wii U, Hunstable’s answer was pretty much the same: “There’s nothing specific I can talk about today.”

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/02/28/ustream-on-consoles-not-exclusive-to-ps4?abthid=512fcda2aa1437f210000012

Around the Network

Hmmm will look into this then.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Xbox720 WILL get it, WiiU on the other hand...not enough RAM, I guess :/

KHlover said:

you joking?

Would it even use a lot of ram?

TheKingofRedLions said:
KHlover said:

you joking?

Oh, wrong streaming service. I actually was thinking about the "streaming your live-gameplay" feature, which WOULD require loads of RAM.

Around the Network

Like someone already pointed out.. Their logo looks like the Wii U logo.

KHlover said:

Maybe Nintendo is content with Miiverse right now.  I see no need for Ustream.  Sure it might be a nice addition but lacking it isn't a gamechanger.

KHlover said:
TheKingofRedLions said:
KHlover said:

you joking?

Oh, wrong streaming service. I actually was thinking about the "streaming your live-gameplay" feature, which WOULD require loads of RAM.

Not really a memory problem, but it requires lots of preocessing power. Imagine streaming a 1080p 60Hz game, that's  a lot of bits and bytes. Obviously you need a real-time compressor (PS4 SoC has one, NextBox SoC very likely too). But the WiiU GPU? - not likely, or the stream will be considerable smaller resolution, at most.

Well at minium this means 720 can view streams and has an app for it. At maximum this means 720 has a share button and is a ditto of PS4.

JoeTheBro said:
Well at minium this means 720 can view streams and has an app for it. At maximum this means 720 has a share button and is a ditto of PS4.

It means none of that. Must have read a different article than I did. All it actually says is that U-Stream will try and has been trying to get into every avenue to allow people to use their type of service. It doesn't matter who they are, and will hold no ties of exclusivity as that is against their operational goal. If MS will unite with them too however is a cointoss.