By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 6 - For PS3

Who needs a PS4, it looks like PS3 is getting just as much, if not more support then the upcoming PS3.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/27/is-gran-turismo-6-coming-to-ps3-this-year?abthid=512e77a909502cc80f000029

Gran Turismo 6 rumors have been swirling around the Internet for several years, beginning almost immediately upon the release of Gran Turismo 5 on PlayStation 3 in 2010, when we learned that its sequel is in development. We learned that new tracks are being crafted and that the game may even be coming to Vita.

Now comes word from GTPlanet of an interview Silicon Republic conducted with SCEE’s Senior Vice President Michael Denny (one of the men you saw on stage during last week’s PlayStation 4 reveal in New York City). The 51 second audio clip, which was posted because of controversy surrounding a prior GTPlanet report citing the Silicon Republic interview, clearly has Denny state that Gran Turismo 6 is coming to PlayStation 3 – not PlayStation 4 – in 2013.

“You look at the games coming out on PlayStation 3 this year,” Denny says, “[like] The Last of Us, Beyond, GT6…”

Denny says this without skipping a beat and doesn’t at all seem concerned that he seems to have let the cat out of the bag. And someone in Denny’s position would most certainly know the longterm software plans for all PlayStation platforms.

We reached out to Sony for comment and clarification. All a Sony rep was willing to tell us was the following: “In 2010, Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed that Polyphony Digital had commenced development for Gran Turismo 6. We look forward to sharing further deteails on this title in the near future.” When pressed for more information beyond that, Sony refused to give us further comment.

It wouldn’t at all be surprising for Gran Turismo 6 to be prepped for release on PlayStation 3. As Sony stated, the first-party studio responsible for the series, Polyphony Digital, has been working on the game since 2010, a time when PS4 dev kits may not have been available even to Sony-owned studios. Likewise, this may put into perspective why Sony is allowing another of its studios – Evolution – to work on a Gran Turismo-like game for PlayStation 4 in the form of DriveClub.

----

Yea honestly, buying a PS3 now makes so much sense. Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 sell for $15 each, InFamous 2 is $20, GT5 is $20 and well, most games are in the $20 range, with only a few costing $40 or more. Looks like I'll be getting a new PS3 this fall to replace my old one (Waiting till fall for Boxing Day/To finish some 360/Wii exclusives first), PS4 can wait a couple years.

------

P.S. I'd add Gran Turismo 6 to the Database, but...... I don't have the power. If you read this ioi.....

GRANT ME THE POWER!!!!!!

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

I would crap if it drops on jet ps3. It probably will and be ported to ps4.

yep this is great news. i think it's been reported on before but you won't get the link from me.

Gran Turismo 6 will make sure to keep PlayStation 3 alive years after PS4 comes out.

I hope they dont do this, unless its also available upgraded on the PS4.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Its possible but its also a rumor.

I was hoping for a new version of the game that includes all the DLCs...but I guess this could work ;o

Debating whether I should wait or get GT5 XL edition now lol

For $20 brand new, get GT5 XL. You won't know what platform/platforms GT6 will be released on (There could be two versions of the game, one for PS3 and one for PS4), and it might not even release in the holiday window of 2013. Plus GT6 will likely still be a $60 Game.

Still, a great time to buy a PS3.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

I hope not. Gran Turismo is by far Sony's biggest IP and if GT6 releases on the PS3, then the PS4 won't receive an installment until 2016 at the earliest. That's 3 years after the release of the PS4. As Sony's biggest IP, they should be trying to release an installment on the PS4 within the first 1-2 years on the market for maximum damage. Either that, or get Polphony Digitial to cut the development time for GT7 down to only 2 years, which I don't think is likely.

Jay520 said:
I hope not. Gran Turismo is by far Sony's biggest IP and if GT6 releases on the PS3, then the PS4 won't receive an installment until 2016 at the earliest. That's 3 years after the release of the PS4. As Sony's biggest IP, they should be trying to release an installment on the PS4 within the first 1-2 years on the market for maximum damage. Either that, or get Polphony Digitial to cut the development time for GT7 down to only 2 years, which I don't think is likely.

Well a 2 year development time is more then possible, GT2 and GT3 released in 2 year development times, and GT5 took a looong while mostly because they developed a new engine for the game. Using the same engine, and already having a lot of HD car models/tracks, it wouldn't take that much work to furthur upgrade the graphics, and add more premium cars.

However I still agree with you, GT6 will not sell 10 million units on PS3, and it would really boost console sales for PS4. I could see GT6 sustaining strong sales anually despite a small install base for the PS4, and many people (like myself who apparently bought every Sony console upon the release of a GT game) would buy the PS4 for this game.

Plus with Forza 5 potentially releasing in 2013/2014, Sony really doesn't want to wait for a PS4 iteration.

If there is any truth to this.... Someone at Sony needs to be FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

Probably a CrossGen Title for PS3 and PS4.

I think NextGen we will see more GT Games.
They surely had some problems otherwise they wouldn't have released only 1 and then maybe 2 in this Gen.
At least GT5 and Prologue made enough money and outsold the competition with ease so we don't have to fear for PD and upcoming Games.
Gran Turismo(a RACER!!!) is a selling beast.