By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS is not worried about PS4. The Fans will Drive Xbox’s Next-Gen

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
"Microsoft dominated this generation and the next one is theirs to lose."

lol to dominate one gen they need to be the first one in sales, THE FIRST . Microsoft never was the first.

Its funny how they don't realize this.
And Sony is already ahead of them in sales and shipments...VGchartz numbers are wrong..

Hey the 360 is getting outsold since 2008...Lets just add 6 Million units every quarter to the 360 and gain 2 millions difference even if you didn'T sell at any given time more than the competition.LOGIC!

If the NextBox wins thanks to Casuals than have fun with it.
I rather play real games - I don't care for the unannounced fitness games some guys here are so excited about.
I rather play the new games and IPs from Santa Monica Studios,Naughty Dog,GG,PD,QD and everyone else Sony has gathered around them.
PS : CoD is a Casual Game.There are no core MP shooters in this ConsoleGen.At least Killzone tried it with a relative good FPS Story for the SP.Only BF3 on PC came close to being core but is still far away from prime time of Arena Shooters like Quake,Doom,UT,PK and stuff.Those were games that took skill.

J_Allard said:
monkeyade said:
Let's not forget that due to the RROD, they probably only have about 60% of there shipped consoles actually still working. I have owned 3 over the years and will not make that mistake again...

Don't forget that due to YLOD the PS3 has about 20% of its shipped consoles actually still working.

It's a given fact the failure rate of the 360 was over 80% in its first few years.
The PS3 NEVER came anywhere close to those numbers.
A lot of people bought new 360s - Even i have 3 of those paperweights(i don't play stuff on that console anymore since J-RPGs are back home and Fifa sucks every year more and more)..Core/Premium > Falcon > Elite > Premium...Some people even have 2-3 of the first edition cause they died.
The 360 Community was pretty easy to convince to buy new consoles cause not every console did work like a charm after Microsoft repaired them(and no its not a good and customer friendly thing to repair consoles that were knowingly set to die and got send out with those issues > another way to let people think they are the good guys)

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
monkeyade said:
Let's not forget that due to the RROD, they probably only have about 60% of there shipped consoles actually still working. I have owned 3 over the years and will not make that mistake again...

Don't forget that due to YLOD the PS3 has about 20% of its shipped consoles actually still working.

Hmm, the difference is if anything 60% was being generous, while you are just talking out of your ass

More pics of them watching the presser?

I think casual gamers have a short attention span...anyway atlease

easyrider said:

A lot has changed since the last “next-gen” console war. It has been over eight years, and I don’t know how much of a “war” we will have this time around.

Based on Microsoft’s social media approach for the Playstation announcement this week, it would appear they are looking at it as a friendly competition and embracing the jump in technology and new games for the entire industry. They even had a lot of figureheads from Microsoft expressing excitement to see more of the PS4, posting a picture of a group of them watching the announcement eating popcorn.

From a PR perspective this is genius. Microsoft went into the next-gen last time with the original Xbox having no weight in the market. It didn’t matter the features, the specs, or the games, no one wanted the Xbox because the PS2 was everything you could wish for.

When the Xbox 360 came out though, it blew people away. It had that “underdog” mantra around it, where gamers were pleasantly surprised because they had no expectations.

This atmosphere combined with Sony’s well-deserved arrogance in the console war pushed it to the top. Sony thought people would pay an extra $100-$200 for a console, because their PS2 install base was overwhelming. They had everyone developing for them and major companies like Rockstar were really slow to embrace the original Xbox, if they did at all.

This time around, there is no way there will be a repeat of history. The gaming world has changed for better and for worse. The things that mattered and drove consumers one way or another last generation are widely obsolete, and the success or failure will rely on their current fanbase.

Although the Sony fanboys will disregard this entire article after I say this, I have to…Microsoft dominated this generation and the next one is theirs to lose.

The playing field is level:

• They are both successful in their own regards.
  • They both have an online service.
  • They both have a handful of exclusives.
  • They both will release their next-gen console at similar prices.
  • They both have the support of all third party developers. (Capcom, Electronic Arts, Square Enix, Bethesda, Blizzard, Rockstar)
  • They both will offer the same experience with subtle differences i.e. user interface.

What is all comes down to in the end is this: THE FANS

Sony lost their dominance with the PS3 by offering a higher price point (which Microsoft won’t be dumb enough to repeat) and Sony had no online service near the level the Xbox 360 was offering.

So now you have millions of gamers who won’t change their system because:

• Microsoft/Sony will entice you to migrate your account over to their new system.
  • Gamers won’t learn a new system/controller because they don’t want to “get owned” in the new Call of Duty.
  • Gamers have developed friendships over these years and won’t start anew if all their online friends came from PSN or Xbox Live.

Add to that the “hardcore” annoying gamers from games like Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Madden will be blowing up the hype as soon as they see the next Xbox announced at E3, and it is very clear why Sony needed to do a separate event – which is smart, they need people to talk about their system NOW.

I am not saying Microsoft is great and Sony sucks. Head to head in terms of sales though Microsoft has sold 17 million more consoles in North America than Sony. Their reach is longer and their voice is going to be louder. Sony knew they were going to be outmatched, meaning they are just as aware of the hype exploding on the next Xbox as well. I mean why else would they announce so early?

When both next-gen systems are offering virtually the same experience minus a handful of exclusive games going either way, I don’t see either system “stealing” customers, essentially this is Microsoft’s war to lose, and as long as neither do something really stupid, I don’t see the armistice line changing.

Please direct all poorly written, angry, and immature comments below.

http://www.vgrevolution.com/2013/02/the-fans-will-drive-xboxs-next-gen/

speaking from a Ms/ Sony standpoint it's no ones to lose seeing both did well , with  one starting off slow and one finishing slow , next gen it will be about  keeping the market base you have now and finding ways to grow it world wide rather than trying to dominate , networks have made the PS2 scenario much harder if not impossible , Sony's decision to go first is driven by a number of factors including declining sales across the board ,  the criticism of the PS3 launching late and numerous other factors, but it certainly isn't because they think they're outmatched if anything going early is more a sign of confidence , and if they are outmatched why do you see it staying the same.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

While MS did beat Sony at their game, to say they "dominated" this gen is fallacy. Nintendo came, saw and conquered. They are the ones who "dominated" this gen.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

monkeyade said:
J_Allard said:
monkeyade said:

Hmm, the difference is if anything 60% was being generous, while you are just talking out of your ass

The best part is we're both talking out of our asses. Your number is no more factual than mine.

ktay95 said:
yep every MS fan is casual, those were my words lol. i was just saying MS have alot more casual gamers than ps3, yes CoD sells nearly aswell on ps3 however from my expirience i see alot more casual gamers who only play CoD or sports games on 360 than i do on ps3

That's not really true. The same communities exist everywhere and Sony wised up to it, releasing the 12G slim-slim; which is frankly useless to anyone who plays more than one game.

I think MS is designing the new Xbox to be efficient and "good enough". Anyone can win a spec war, but as we all well know by now, sticker price matters.

J_Allard said:
monkeyade said:
J_Allard said:
monkeyade said:

The best part is we're both talking out of our asses. Your number is no more factual than mine.

Agreed but you have to admit mine is a damn site closer :)