By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cliff Bleszinski: Industry turmoil worst since '80s crash

zero129 said:

Your the only one trying to spin things dude. First you ignore the state of the world when it comes to money atm and say how Phones and tablets are selling so good, Really??, no shit. Lots of people need phones and tablets for ya know other things then gaming . Heres a hint for you the is more PC's and laptops sold a day then the is Consoles, Does that mean the console market is dying??.

You then go pass my 2nd question by trying to spin it into an NPD week to somehow show the 3DS is selling bad. So i ask you once more maybe you will answer this time and not try to spin it. How is selling 29 million units in like 2 years doing bad??. And thats without one of the 3DS biggest games Pokemon.

Dude to me your just pissed that the PSV isnt selling too good and are trying to use that as an excuse the handheld market is dying. Fact is 3DS is selling great.

29 million in two years is not great if year 2 is lower than year 1. Sales in the west are declining for the 3ds, despite a price cut. Japan keeps it afloat but the western handheld market will continue to shrink and shrink. It will see some spikes from pokemon and price cuts- but you can't change the inevitable fact that 3ds will likely be the last major dedicated handheld. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
DanneSandin said:
NintendoPie said:
DanneSandin said:
NintendoPie said:

Since that other thread was locked, here are my opinions from it:
"It's funny that no one remembers Nintendo saying that they don't want to become a SW only company. I also feel that if anyone were to go down, Nintendo would be the last. They wouldn't go down easily, either. They would be kickin'!"

I always seem to post in the threads bound to be locked for duplication. (Is that a word?)

People keep on saying that... Is there a link anywhere?!

Link to what? The locked thread?

Here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155966&page=1#

No, I wanted a link to that statement from Nintendo. When did they say they wouldn't do SW only?

I wish I could find a link specifically to what I remember reading or watching.  It was an interview with a high up at Nintendo.  They explained the importance to Nintendo about being able to control the hardware to be able to what they want from a game developer standpoint.  Shame I can't seem to find it.

I really do agree that Nintendo needs to do its own HW (for multiple reasons), but I'd just like to see the actual source people keep citing...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

leatherhat said:
zero129 said:

Your the only one trying to spin things dude. First you ignore the state of the world when it comes to money atm and say how Phones and tablets are selling so good, Really??, no shit. Lots of people need phones and tablets for ya know other things then gaming . Heres a hint for you the is more PC's and laptops sold a day then the is Consoles, Does that mean the console market is dying??.

You then go pass my 2nd question by trying to spin it into an NPD week to somehow show the 3DS is selling bad. So i ask you once more maybe you will answer this time and not try to spin it. How is selling 29 million units in like 2 years doing bad??. And thats without one of the 3DS biggest games Pokemon.

Dude to me your just pissed that the PSV isnt selling too good and are trying to use that as an excuse the handheld market is dying. Fact is 3DS is selling great.

29 million in two years is not great if year 2 is lower than year 1. Sales in the west are declining for the 3ds, despite a price cut. Japan keeps it afloat but the western handheld market will continue to shrink and shrink. It will see some spikes from pokemon and price cuts- but you can't change the inevitable fact that 3ds will likely be the last major dedicated handheld. 

But that's like saying that xbox sold poorly if you exclude the US sales... And that's not how things work. You have to look globally. 3DS sold more units in 2012 than in 2011 even without big system sellers in the west for the holidays. 3DS is THE only system doing great right now.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

At this point, the 3DS can be carried in Japan by 3rd parties alone...

I personally think that Nintendo's strategy of helping those exact 3rd parties to localize their games was pretty damn smart.

There's no need to rely on western devs (Who don't develop for it anyways) and can solve the software droughts that Nintendo is quite well known for in the west.

However, the downside to this strategy is that it has somewhat limited appeal. Which means that they're pretty much relying on Pokemon to be gigantic this time to reach that type of broad mainstream appeal.

Nintendo's strategy in Japan:Eh we can let 3rd parties carry it. Pokemon will do the rest.

Nintendo's strategy in the West:Pokemon or bust.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I agree with his price point stuff, but we already have it in place, just more publishers need to embrace it.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
leatherhat said:
zero129 said:

But that's like saying that xbox sold poorly if you exclude the US sales... And that's not how things work. You have to look globally. 3DS sold more units in 2012 than in 2011 even without big system sellers in the west for the holidays. 3DS is THE only system doing great right now.

Except for the fact that Japan is small and increasingly out there market. A handheld that will only do well in Japan will never be a success. The west is a far bigger and more important market, and the western market is rejecting dedicated handhelds at every turn. 

Time for hype

zero129 said:
leatherhat said:
zero129 said:

I guess then Nintendos next handheld will have phone features. But if you think the 3DS will be the last handheld from Nintendo your sadly mistaking imo.

Now the PSVita could very well be the last Handheld from Sony if sales dont pick up .

And yes 29 Million in like 2 years is very good imo mostly since the handheld will most likely go on to sell 90-100 million units life time.

It should, there next handheld should be an android tablet with exclusive nintendo games, but nintendo is probably too oblivious or unwilling to change to make that happen. And the vita will for sure be sony's last handheld- they clearly only made it because they felt they had to. Also see my above post as to why Japan can not keep a platform alive by itself. 

Time for hype

theRepublic said:
richardhutnik said:

What happened in the 1980s is the consoles dried up, and people went elsewhere, like onto home computers.  On a personal level you could see a perpetual 1983, but not as bad.  What you do have is some titles do breakthrough and people do well.  But it will keep renewing, as indie guys see the success a few have and jump into the ring.  The thing is that the start-up capital can dry up, but there is still Kickstarter and also the likes of self-funding.  The mobile industry is really cheap to make stuff.  All you need is the dev environment.

What happened in the '80s is that there where enough bad games that it killed interest in consoles.  For the most part, people did not go elsewhere.  People do not need to game.  There are books, TV, movies, and all sorts of other entertainment.  The dedicated did go elsewhere.

It parallels what we see in the mobile space with so many bad games.  It is giving even the big boys trouble.  Zynga just closed some studios.  It is possible for the mobile well to be posioned.  If people want to play games, they have plenty of choices other than the mobile market.

Do you believe that videogames are so entrenched in western culture that people see them as normal here, and not subject to the same 1980s think it is a fad?  I do.  I believe because of this, that you aren't going to see them risk dying off like what happened in the 1980s.  But, there is very serious concern of contraction.  Thing now is that people can still  play older stuff, if need be.  IP still hold something, even if there is a major shakedown.  I do think AAA level stuff is at risk, outside of a few franchises.  

I will also disagree with people not needing games, and other things.  People do like to play, and believe games are a viable part.  Games are actually one of the oldest forms of play out there really.  People want to be mentally engaged and games and puzzles do that.

I will also add though that tabletop gaming is growing as far as an interest spot goes.  People can do board and cardgames.  Mind you, it doesn't necessarily mean lots of money but they are there.

I think we can now see what happened to Cliffy B, and why he left Epic. Better to get out before you see the bottom fall out.

I still can't believe he just dropped out of the game only be on the side lines and say what needed to be done, instead of actually doing something about for the greater good, even though gamer will dislike it in first glance...

That's like saying I live my dream while it lasted, now I shall hide in a cave until you fix the problem so I come in and ride it again.
Wait, what?!

You said you enjoy playing games in your childhood, especially Nintendo games (and it came out of his mouth). And now that got the chance to do it, but only done it half way, instead of going all the way like Nintendo did in your child-eyes.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!