By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So looking back, what was the best console last gen?

pearljammer said:
highwaystar101 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
The Playstation 2 was easily the best.

Any other choice is absurd.

How so?

I would have to agree with Montana. A RolStoppable mentioned, objetively, PS2 is the obvious choice ue to its sheer amount of great games that cover every genre. Simply put, while the GC had some great high quality games, the PS2 had MANY great high quality games.

Quantity + Quality > Quality

@those who are suprised by the results here: There are a lot of de-hard Nintendo fans here on VGchartz. Not being a huge Nin fan myself, I find it a somewhat refreshing escape from the chest beating comparisons between PS/XBox fanboys. Heh, i it weren't for this site. I'd probably never have given the Wii a second chance.

But there is no way of being objective when you talk about the "best" console.  It is all opinion.

Fact: PS2 had the most games out of PS2/GCN/XBOX.

Fact: PS2 had the top-selling games out of PS2/GCN/XBOX.

Opinion: The best PS2 game is Adventures of Cookie & Cream.

Opinion: The best game of the last generation is Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Opinion: GameCube has more good games than PS2 or Xbox.

Opinion: GameCube is a better-designed console that offered more for the money than PS2 or Xbox.

Opinion: GameCube has a better controller than PS2/Xbox.

Opinion: GameCube is the best console last generation.

See what I mean?

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network

For me its a tie between the Dreamcats and Gamecube.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

The Gamecube was it for me. The PS2 was a good system and had good games, but it fell short for me. One area was games. I love the Nintendo franchises, and no one else is ever going to have them. The other was hardware reliability. My roommate had a PS2 and we beat that thing into submission about 8 months after he got it. Since launch he's been through 4 PS2s, and he takes real good care of his systems. My GC is still running like a champ 4 years later. I could never spend good money on a system with a failure rate like that.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Hands down...
The Gamecube was the best console last generation.
They are built like little gaming "tanks".
They are durable, featured the widest assortment of games, and it's only bad side was that it didn't feature Grand Theft Auto or Halo, but other than that, this console WINS!

I mean come on Mario games, the only system to include the entire Resident Evil series (0, 1, 2, Veronica, 3, and 4), Eternal Darkness, and a host of other awesome exclusive titles.

No question...
Gamecube won!

(Now I own an Xbox 360 and sold my GC and games, so don't dare call me a fanboy y'all!)

this is one of the hardest choices to make for someone who owned all 4

xbox- i was to young for computer gaming so i was introduced to online with this thing and loved it ever since

gamecube- had all my fav nintendo games

ps2- had gta, final gantasy, mgs, dmc and a thousand other exclusives

dreamcast- how many other systems could u play tetris on your memory card

actually its not that hard dreamcast

Around the Network

For me is gamecube, I am a Nintendo fan since NES

ps2>gamecube>>>dreamcast>>>>>>>>>>>>>>xbox

the gamecube was the best my opinion.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

For me GameCube since I really didn't like PS2.

But the winner is easily PS2, then tied with GC/Xbox then Dreamcast.

Any sane person would choose the PS2. For every game in a genre the Gamecube, Dreamcast or Xbox had, the PS2 had three games, and over twice as many quality games over the other three.

With that being said, I choose the Dreamcast. Not because it featured better games per se, but because I was most into playing games then, and spent my best years on that console. Crazy Taxi, NFL 2K series, Shenmue, Resident Evil CODE Veronica, Jet Grind Radio, Ikaruga, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III, Armada, Virtua Tennis, Guilty Gear X, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, MDK 2, House of the Dead 2, Seaman, San Francisco Rush 2049, etc. etc.

Anyone who grew up in arcades would and did appreciate what Sega created, the last hurrah of the arcade era, right inside your own home. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.