By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - These forums will be hilarious if Next Xbox is more powerful than PS4

Would the meltdowns be epic?

Yes 237 59.25%

No 107 26.75%

Maybe 53 13.25%

Total:397
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

It takes a lot of memory to run an OS,  And the unkown is GPU?  I thought I said that.

Let me say it this way.  Say you have 8 skittles.  Your friend OS wants 2 skittles so you  give him 2 skittles.  Then your friend GPU wants 2 more skittles so you give it to him.  Then you want the rest of the skittles so you keep them to yourself.

Does that make sense?

No because I don't have anything to do with the hardware function? Seriously what would the hardware be using a spare 2-4GBs for? Not running the OS, not running games, you aren't talking the CPU are you? That's what the OS RAM is for.

There is a slim chance the OS will use 2GB. 2GB is like full blown Windows 8 isn't it? Or is that 3GB? Even if it does use 2GB, optimization will reduce it over time.

lol what do you expect?

he's trying to rationalise from a performance perspective why having more RAM isn't a big deal lol

Around the Network

as a person who knows very little about anything of the world of specs won't affect me one bit

Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

It takes a lot of memory to run an OS,  And the unkown is GPU?  I thought I said that.

Let me say it this way.  Say you have 8 skittles.  Your friend OS wants 2 skittles so you  give him 2 skittles.  Then your friend GPU wants 2 more skittles so you give it to him.  Then you want the rest of the skittles so you keep them to yourself.

Does that make sense?

No because I don't have anything to do with the hardware function? Seriously what would the hardware be using a spare 2-4GBs for? Not running the OS, not running games, you aren't talking the CPU are you? That's what the OS RAM is for.

There is a slim chance the OS will use 2GB. 2GB is like full blown Windows 8 isn't it? Or is that 3GB? Even if it does use 2GB, optimization will reduce it over time.

I'm not sure how much memory the OS will need to run.  2GB is reserved for the OS, I'm almost positive of this, but if you want to wait for confirmation on that you can, but that will likely be the number.  The 2-4 left over will be to run the games if i didnt explain that.  Dont look at this as a bad thing as the OS is very important and it is a good thing that they invested in a good OS because we all know MSFT might be heading towards a W8 like OS.

o_O.Q said:

lol what do you expect?

he's trying to rationalise from a performance perspective why having more RAM isn't a big deal lol

Regardless of where he is going with this. If games end up only using 2-4GBs the rest of the RAM will be ready and available for anything else, and can be sharred for other tasks. Games could evenutally take advantage of it. It is unified and therefore available.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

JayWood2010 said:

I'm not sure how much memory the OS will need to run.  2GB is reserved for the OS, I'm almost positive of this, but if you want to wait for confirmation on that you can, but that will likely be the number.  The 2-4 left over will be to run the games if i didnt explain that.  Dont look at this as a bad thing as the OS is very important and it is a good thing that they invested in a good OS because we all know MSFT might be heading towards a W8 like OS.

I'm confused again? 2+2-4 = 4-6

Around the Network
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

2GB - OS
2GB - GPU
4GB - Dedicated Memory

Chark said:
o_O.Q said:

lol what do you expect?

Regardless of where he is going with this. If games end up only using 2-4GBs the rest of the RAM will be ready and available for anything else, and can be sharred for other tasks. Games could evenutally take advantage of it. It is unified and therefore available.

yeah i agree

JayWood2010 said:
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

2GB - OS
2GB - GPU
4GB - Dedicated Memory

Okay. Fair enough. Still used for games though and is flexible.

o_O.Q said:
Chark said:
o_O.Q said:

lol what do you expect?

yeah i agree

Where did you guys think i was going with this?  I am just explaining what Shared Memory means, nothing else.

Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

2GB - OS
2GB - GPU
4GB - Dedicated Memory

Okay. Fair enough. Still used for games though and is flexible.

Yes exactly :)