By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - These forums will be hilarious if Next Xbox is more powerful than PS4

Would the meltdowns be epic?

Yes 237 59.25%

No 107 26.75%

Maybe 53 13.25%

Total:397

Honestly I don't care. It is more than powerful enough to give me what I need from gaming. As long as it wasn't a case where the Wii U was more powerful than it I'm happy.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:
Chark said:

So you are taking 8GBs giving 2GB to the OS and 2-4GBs to the GPU where are the 2-4GBs you are leaving out?

The 2-4 left out is what would be used like RAM does in your computer. That would be the unshared part.

Can we get a price check(second opinion) on these hardware facts?

For some reason I'm finding it hard to understand your reasoning. Unsharred RAM, a whole 2GB for the OS, up to 4GB for some unknown other thing.

PS4 OS uses 52 MB.

Win8 uses around 500MB on 1GB RAM computers, and somewhere around 850 on computers with 8GB RAM.

Educated guess would be it will lock 1GB of RAM in the beggining, which will come down later.

EDIT: PS4/Nextbox memory usage will be much more efficient if AMD managed to make them fully HSA capable APU. In that case, if I understood tech correctly, GPU does not copies data for its usage, but can access directly same memory address space as CPU.

JayWood2010 said:
KBG29 said:
OP:

Whether the XB3 has the specs rumored or they rebuild it to be faster the difference will be very small. We are talking even harder to see than the PS3 vs the 360. With where graphics are for these consoles it would take major advantages to actually make a difference.

To me the higher the baseline for development, the happier I am. That means more room for PC devs to stretch their legs, and that makes me happy.

@JayWood2010

I am really confused at what you are trying to say with the RAM. 360 had the same unified RAM set up, and the OS had 32MB reserved during gameplay. That left the CPU and GPU to share the remaining 470MB any way a developer saw fit. The GPU had 12MB of dedicated embedded RAM.

With the PS4 I think Sony wants full access to the OS at all times, and that would be why it may take as much as 2GB. That however, would be the limit for the OS during gameplay. The other 6GB would available to developers to split between the CPU and GPU exclusively for the game features any way they want. All the streaming, cross game chat, Share features, and the lot would be part of that 2GB reserved for the OS.

You got that correct.  

The 6GB memory will be split through hardware as  the developers choose.  It isn't just dedicated memory.  That's all I'm Saying.  A lot of people seem to think all 8Gb is for dedicated memory but that isnt true.  If that was true then you would have 0Gb for both the GPU and OS.    The RAM in this case is sharing memory with everything else. 

What im trying to correct is that you said 2gb will be dedicated to the GPU which is not the case.The GPU and the CPU are going to share all the memory left over after subtracting whatever the OS will use.. That is what shared memory means, no dedicated memory for the GPU or CPU. SO that 6gb or 7GB of memory left over from the PS4 will be available for game development.

ALso its been estimated that the ps4 OS will only use 512mb of memory as can be seen from the digital foundry article

Graphics Core:

• GPU is based on AMD's "R10XX" (Southern Islands) architecture
  • DirectX 11.1+ feature set
  • 18 Compute Units (CUs)
  • Hardware balanced at 14 CUs (4 dedicated to Compute)
  • Shared 512KB of read/write L2 cache
  • 800MHz
  • 1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s
  • Dual shader engines
  • 18 texture units
  • 8 render backends

Memory:

• 4GB unified system memory, 176GB/s
  • 3.5GB available to games (estimate)

Beyond technical specifications, one thing that I'm interested in seeing with the PS4 and Durango is how they will handle modding. Will Sony and Microsoft allow it, because I imagine Valve's console will retain the workshop. The reason I game on PC is more than just graphics.

It would be actually hilarious if it was less powerful and did the same graphics. Now that would be interesting!

Around the Network
sanabago21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
KBG29 said:
OP:

Whether the XB3 has the specs rumored or they rebuild it to be faster the difference will be very small. We are talking even harder to see than the PS3 vs the 360. With where graphics are for these consoles it would take major advantages to actually make a difference.

To me the higher the baseline for development, the happier I am. That means more room for PC devs to stretch their legs, and that makes me happy.

@JayWood2010

I am really confused at what you are trying to say with the RAM. 360 had the same unified RAM set up, and the OS had 32MB reserved during gameplay. That left the CPU and GPU to share the remaining 470MB any way a developer saw fit. The GPU had 12MB of dedicated embedded RAM.

With the PS4 I think Sony wants full access to the OS at all times, and that would be why it may take as much as 2GB. That however, would be the limit for the OS during gameplay. The other 6GB would available to developers to split between the CPU and GPU exclusively for the game features any way they want. All the streaming, cross game chat, Share features, and the lot would be part of that 2GB reserved for the OS.

You got that correct.  

The 6GB memory will be split through hardware as  the developers choose.  It isn't just dedicated memory.  That's all I'm Saying.  A lot of people seem to think all 8Gb is for dedicated memory but that isnt true.  If that was true then you would have 0Gb for both the GPU and OS.    The RAM in this case is sharing memory with everything else. 

What im trying to correct is that you said 2gb will be dedicated to the GPU which is not the case.The GPU and the CPU are going to share all the memory left over after subtracting whatever the OS will use.. That is what shared memory means, no dedicated memory for the GPU or CPU. SO that 6gb or 7GB of memory left over from the PS4 will be available for game development.

ALso its been estimated that the ps4 OS will only use 512mb of memory as can be seen from the digital foundry article

Graphics Core:

• GPU is based on AMD's "R10XX" (Southern Islands) architecture
  • DirectX 11.1+ feature set
  • 18 Compute Units (CUs)
  • Hardware balanced at 14 CUs (4 dedicated to Compute)
  • Shared 512KB of read/write L2 cache
  • 800MHz
  • 1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s
  • Dual shader engines
  • 18 texture units
  • 8 render backends

Memory:

• 4GB unified system memory, 176GB/s
  • 3.5GB available to games (estimate)

Ahh i see what you are saying.  That sunds about right :)  

sanabago21 said:

So do you think the OS RAM reserve will double for launch?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Deyon said:
Slimebeast said:
Yes, it would be hilarious but sadly the Xbox 720 will be much weaker than the PS4.

How do you know?

Let's say xbox720 will much much powerfull then ps4 it won't be that good for microsoft becuase playstation name is more popular then xbox name and ps4 will likely be released before the next xbox Microsoft  will not be able to compete with ps4 in price domain.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

RazorDragon said:
It would be actually hilarious if it was less powerful and did the same graphics. Now that would be interesting!

Wouldn't really be possible (not like it was this gen). There can be no issues with porting as the PS4's architecture is very close to a PC's (and will be almost identical to Durango's). If the rumours are true that Durango will use some form of Windows 8, then it could work in the opposite way.

Kantor said:
I think you greatly overestimate how much people actually care about the amount of RAM inside a console.

There would be no meltdowns if the NextBox had more than 8GB GDDR5 RAM, because that would be a ridiculous waste of money and resources. Even 8GB is pushing into the realms of absurdity.

Sorry Kantor but the fact this thread is currently the fastest growing thread on Vgchartz shows people obviously care about numbers.

I dont think the next Xbox will be more powerful at all it will be slightly weaker.  That said you are a mod and should know better how much some people care about their console wars.  I assure you if this happens there will be meltdowns.  Have you forgotten what 2007 and 2008 looked like here on vgchartz?