By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft hacked... why is no one covering this?

best wait until MS starts handing out free games and credit protection service like Sony did. lol, i doubt this is anything like that

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Max King of the Wild said:
NintendoPie said:
You seem to be the only one blowing this story up.

That's exactly the point. If this were sony wed have multiple threads about it already

Very true. VGChartz is the most biased site I know on the internet.

I wouldn't quite say that. Just what different people focus on

Deyon said:
MB1025 said:
There is a clear difference between this and what happened to Sony. Anyone thinking of using this as ammunition down the line I suggest you take my advice and not use it. You will only look like a moron for doing so.

XboxLive gets hacked A LOT.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/hacked-xbox-live-user-shares-customer-service-hassle-118018

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/Xbox/8906043/Xbox-Live-customers-hacked-in-fresh-cyber-fraud-case.html

ITT we learn that phishing and people unknowingly giving out their username and password = hacking LOL.

NiKKoM said:
^^ guys... you're not looking with a economic perspective like mantlepiecek said...

it only costed Sony 170 million dollar... that's cheap!

It costed Sony 170 million dollar. How much did the average person get affected by it?

Even other gaming companies got hacked. Sony is a bigger company so they got affected more, they had the bigger responsibility of making it up to the consumers etc.

Organisations like NASA have been hacked. As far as nos are concerned, maybe this is big, but not when you take into perspective who was getting hacked.

thranx said:
mantlepiecek said:

The Sony PSN hack was blown out of proportion. In fact, if people actually had any economic perspective, they would know that.

Credit card banks have gotten hacked so really a company getting hacked isn't much of a rare thing. As far as people pointing at sony giving free games as the depth of the problem, I would look at it the way a company solves a problem. They gave free games for taking a month to restart their service, which meant they took their problems seriously.

Most corporations have that taboo of rolling over their consumers don't they? The only thing that made the hack serious was Sony themselves. They accepted it, and closed the service for a month.

if i'm not mistaken Sony was fined by security ageniceis for their lax security after their investigations were done. will see if i can get a link.  The fact that it took a month to fix their service vs hours or days should tell you how bad the breach was.

Edit: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jan/24/sony-fined-over-playstation-hack

"

The Information Commissioner's Office on Thursday said the security breach was "one of the most serious" it has handled under the Data Protection Act. The £250,000 fine is the maximum penalty awarded by the ICO against a private company.

"There's no disguising that this is a business that should have known better. It is a company that trades on its technical expertise, and there's no doubt in my mind that they had access to both the technical knowledge and the resources to keep this information safe," said David Smith, the ICO's deputy commissioner and director of data protection."

Yep they were fined.

It didn't take a month to fix the problem though. It took more than a year to actually catch those who were behind it. As far as service was concerned they could have easily bought it back online after a few hours. They just didn't. Probably because they wanted to take extra steps to secure themselves even more?

Companies get hacked all the time. Maybe sony's security was weak, I don't know about that, but it doesn't need to be in order to be hacked.

Anyways they guys who did it got caught didn't they?

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
mantlepiecek said:

The Sony PSN hack was blown out of proportion. In fact, if people actually had any economic perspective, they would know that.

Credit card banks have gotten hacked so really a company getting hacked isn't much of a rare thing. As far as people pointing at sony giving free games as the depth of the problem, I would look at it the way a company solves a problem. They gave free games for taking a month to restart their service, which meant they took their problems seriously.

Most corporations have that taboo of rolling over their consumers don't they? The only thing that made the hack serious was Sony themselves. They accepted it, and closed the service for a month.

it was one of the largest data security breaches in history..

How many accounts do you think were compromised in this largest data security breach?

MB1025 said:
There is a clear difference between this and what happened to Sony. Anyone thinking of using this as ammunition down the line I suggest you take my advice and not use it. You will only look like a moron for doing so.

Too late that guy Deyon already has it in his arsenal. 

Yay!!!

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
MB1025 said:

Too late that guy Deyon already has it in his arsenal. 

I wouldn't use it as ammunition but i'd sure use it as deflection to show no one is immune to attacks

mantlepiecek said:
thranx said:
mantlepiecek said:

if i'm not mistaken Sony was fined by security ageniceis for their lax security after their investigations were done. will see if i can get a link.  The fact that it took a month to fix their service vs hours or days should tell you how bad the breach was.

Edit: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jan/24/sony-fined-over-playstation-hack

"

The Information Commissioner's Office on Thursday said the security breach was "one of the most serious" it has handled under the Data Protection Act. The £250,000 fine is the maximum penalty awarded by the ICO against a private company.

"There's no disguising that this is a business that should have known better. It is a company that trades on its technical expertise, and there's no doubt in my mind that they had access to both the technical knowledge and the resources to keep this information safe," said David Smith, the ICO's deputy commissioner and director of data protection."

Yep they were fined.

It didn't take a month to fix the problem though. It took more than a year to actually catch those who were behind it. As far as service was concerned they could have easily bought it back online after a few hours. They just didn't. Probably because they wanted to take extra steps to secure themselves even more?

Companies get hacked all the time. Maybe sony's security was weak, I don't know about that, but it doesn't need to be in order to be hacked.

Anyways they guys who did it got caught didn't they?

Except you know.. you do know about it.  It was just shown in the message above you.  Companies get hacekd all the time.  Companies DON'T get fined all the time... and DEFINITLY don't get fined the max all the time.  

Only when they've been grossley irresponsible.

Saying other people get hacked is analgous to telling your friend "Other people get robbed" when you leave his videogame system in your car, with your drivers side window open in the middle of a bad neighberhood overnight.

KylieDog said:
Same as when Valve got hacked, people who it affects don't really give a shit unless it means they are stopped from playing online.

...but at least Sony was good enough to actually take the backlash and shut it down until fixed, Valve and others just kept going.

You might not be familiar with PC gaming, but Valve has a thing called Steam Guard.