By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is is so important games run at 60fps?

Sqrl is the wisest member of Vgchartz.

Around the Network

anything lower than 60fps tends to have a motion blur or lag behind the game. which to the human eye is kinda slow, but with games that contain 60fps there is no blur and the video is perfect. Notice in movies that you since blur, check the next time you watch a movie and movies run at 24fps.

Now PlayingResistance: Fall of Man (PS3)Halo 3 (X360) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)

I think people also need to keep in mind the difference between a frame rate that we can discern individual frames, as opposed to a frame rate where we can still consciously register the change from one image to the next, as opposed to a frame rate that we can still SUBconsciously recognize the change from one image to the next. they're all going to be different frame rates.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that 12 FPS is the highest frame rate that most people can discern individual frames.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

60 fps makes the game play smooth no slowdowns the game has a clean clear sharp look to it like Mario galaxy mp3 smash bros brawl.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Sherlock99 said:
60 fps makes the game play smooth no slowdowns the game has a clean clear sharp look to it like Mario galaxy mp3 smash bros brawl.

And many other non nintendo games

Around the Network

Video games are often created one to two frames ahead which makes the slower frame rate erven worse for playing then for just watching a movie or something. If you are only getting 24 FPS, that can be a 1/12th of a second lag it takes your input to reach the screen.

You need 60FPS to get the lag to act more like 30FPS.

There are 2 places in the world where games below 30 FPS belong. The trash can and the n64.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Grey Acumen said:
I think people also need to keep in mind the difference between a frame rate that we can discern individual frames, as opposed to a frame rate where we can still consciously register the change from one image to the next, as opposed to a frame rate that we can still SUBconsciously recognize the change from one image to the next. they're all going to be different frame rates.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that 12 FPS is the highest frame rate that most people can discern individual frames.

Correct!

Meanwhile, I'm content with anything more than 20 FPS in my games. 30 is pretty much perfect for me.  Anything more than 40 is really nitpicky if you ask me.. Sure, the game can be more fluid, but I can guarantee that the fluidity difference isn't as much as people make it out to be. 95% of the difference is psychologically manufactured - thinking that the 60 FPS looks that much better because you "know" that it's supposed to be.

SW-5120-1900-6153

dschumm said:
There are 2 places in the world where games below 30 FPS belong. The trash can and the n64.

There are plenty of games that are fine below 30 FPS such as turn based RPG, or turn based strategy games, etc... 

I think eysight is a more fluid thing that an exact Fps