By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Real Life Gundam Would Cost $725 Million

I was browsing the internet the other day and came across an interesting article about the Japanese Science Portal specing the cost for making a real-life gundam unit in Japan. They priced it as a meer 725 million dollars.

They measure the unit to be approximately 18 meter's tall using IBM's Blue Gene supercomputer (¥171 million or $1.6 million); 30 400KW motors would supply the movement (total cost $7.8 million), and the seven Apache helicopter engines needed to power them would be another $52 million each.

Estimated cost of Gundam parts:

ITEM UNIT COST QTY COST
Aluminum alloy (honeycomb) $1,800 43,875 $79,000,000
(+ Metal manufacturing/processing)     $240,000,000
Main computer (IBM) $1,550,000 1 $1,550,000
Gas turbine engines (GE) $52,000,000 7 $364,000,000
Superconductive motors (IHI) $260,000 30 $7,800,000
Motor drivers $260,000 30 $7,800,000
Reducers $760,000 30 $22,800,000
Sensors     $910,000
Cockpit     $450,000
    TOTAL: $724,310,000

For more information click here.

Around the Network

Someone should foward this to Bill Gates.  He is rich enough and nerdy enough to get this done.

Make two and have em fight. 

Isnt some concept car taking some technology from that anime gundam?

or some shit like that?

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_GT-R

Nissan chief creative officer, Shiro Nakamura, has likened the new GT-R to the eponymous giant robots of the Gundam series. Nakamura states: "The GT-R is unique because it is not simply a copy of a European-designed supercar, it had to really reflect Japanese culture." Specifically, Nakamura noted that the GT-R's square lines and vents were influenced by Gundam. Designers from Japan, America, and Europe contributed to the final GT-R shape.[35][36]

Gran Turismo creators Polyphony Digital were themselves involved in the development of the GT-R, having been contracted to design the GT-R's multifunction display.[37]

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

only the Japanese are capable of something like this. 10yrs from now wars will be fought by huge mechanical robots from the likes of gundam and Robotech

Around the Network

and the opposition could be Transformers

I have heard about this a long time ago, but feel like I have to comment on it anyway just because:

Comments.

Done.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

but the question is will it work, and if so how well.

DSLover said:
and the opposition could be Transformers

or Arm Slaves (from Full Metal Panic).

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Cool .. I would be interested to buy one .... or I could simply buy 1.5 million PS3s :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!