By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - US state wants to tax TVs, video games to fight fat, fund education

A Democratic lawmaker in New Mexico wants to tax televisions and video games to raise funds to fight childhood obesity and improve education in the state, officials said Friday.

"I have asked our legislative council service to prepare the "Leave No Child Inside" bill and am hopeful that it will be ready for me to introduce on Monday," educator-turned-lawmaker Gail Chasey told AFP.

"Leave No Child Inside" -- a play on the federal education initiative "No Child Left Behind" -- is backed by grassroots environmental group, the Sierra Club.

"The bill proposes levying a one-percent excise tax on the purchase of TVs, video games and video game equipment and would create the 'Leave No Child Inside' fund to receive those revenues," Michael Casaus of the Sierra Club told AFP.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080125230108.k05u9plm&show_article=1

Around the Network
damkira said:
A Democratic lawmaker in New Mexico wants to tax televisions and video games to raise funds to fight childhood obesity and improve education in the state, officials said Friday.

"I have asked our legislative council service to prepare the "Leave No Child Inside" bill and am hopeful that it will be ready for me to introduce on Monday," educator-turned-lawmaker Gail Chasey told AFP.

"Leave No Child Inside" -- a play on the federal education initiative "No Child Left Behind" -- is backed by grassroots environmental group, the Sierra Club.

"The bill proposes levying a one-percent excise tax(good pun) on the purchase of TVs, video games and video game equipment and would create the 'Leave No Child Inside' fund to receive those revenues," Michael Casaus of the Sierra Club told AFP.

This is an awful idea. Why not tax McDonalds if they fighting childhood obesity. 

Rugger08 said:
damkira said:

"The bill proposes levying a one-percent excise tax(good pun) on the purchase of TVs, video games and video game equipment and would create the 'Leave No Child Inside' fund to receive those revenues," Michael Casaus of the Sierra Club told AFP.

This is an awful idea. Why not tax McDonalds if they fighting childhood obesity.

McDonalds is too big of a market. People don't buy TVs everyday so they won't care as much, and most don't buy videogames a all so they won't care about that part.  Lots of people buy Big Macs 2-3 times a week if not more. (sadly.)

This is what states do to raise money. It's why it costs you an arm and a leg to poison yourself with cigarrettes and achohol.

They tax a minority and help a larger group... the tax gets passed. Kidna discrimitory when you think about it. Really could use a ammendment to the constitution against taxing only certain sectors.

Then however i'd have to pay more taxes.

Nintendo will have to argue for exceptions on video games that get you to move, ie Wii games, or think, Brain Age.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Tax TV and video games cause we have a bunch of fat ass kids in the USA?

Im sorry but that is fucking stupid.

My Dad's side of the family is huge (for some reason im pretty skinny)
And I can tell you one thing..TV and Video games arent the reason they are large and in charge.

BTW when I was a kid my brother and I used to play games and watch tv all the time. but we also "played" outside all the time(like pretending we were fighting monsters and stuff ..good ol days xD)

Its as simple as that. Go outside and play you shits

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

tax is the answer to everything - but how much will actually goto education and how much will be making the politicians wallets thicker

1% doesn't seem a lot. How much tax do you pay on things at the moment? In the UK we pay 17.5% on everything excluding essentials. And cake.

Mistershine said:
1% doesn't seem a lot. How much tax do you pay on things at the moment? In the UK we pay 17.5% on everything excluding essentials. And cake.

varies from state to state. In my state around 5%... but each country raises that up more.  Mines around 7-8% Though on some products like cigarettes and beer the rate is a LOT higher.

New Mexico has like... a 5% sales tax. But it's applied to the companies and not to the people at the point of purchase.

So that's like a 20% raise to the tax.

New Mexico has some of this highest tax rates, lowest performing gov't entities. The politician who came up with this bill is an ex APS, Albuquerque School System, employee. APS is one of the largest, most liberal and wasteful school districts in existence. To here that someone from there wants to "Tax and Spend" in this way is no surprise.

While I don't disagree that too many are obese, and spend entirely too much time in front of TV - etc - sort of a surrogate baby sitter - this is NOT the way to fix it. This is just bubble gum on the dam.

A return to "family values" where only one parent works, and dinner / weekends are spent doing things together would help... Adding a tax just means that ANOTHER family member will work to pay it - or they'll put that extra tax amount on their credit card.

I'm not referring to any religious "family values" either... simply families that have time for all members to spend together. That doesn't come through taxes.

thats an ok theory in principal, but it could backfire easily

ooh look, my 1000th post