By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - U.S. Sales of Nintendo Wii U Drop to Catastrophic Levels in January 2013

Nintendo has no 1 to blame but itself. After a successful motion sensor controll they decide to go back to a more traditional controll setup with a touch screen thrown in there and called it "innovation". Yeah right. Innovation... The first DS is almost 10 years old and that's basically what WiiU is. A glorified 3DS. How many touch screen videogame systems Nintendo wants to sell? Not to mention the embarrassing lack of games. Years of hardware development and no attention to games? I mean come on! This is Nintendo! They made a ton of money out of the Wii and DS why not push game creation? Did they really think another 2D Mario and that crappy Nintendoland would be evergreen titles and carry the system till the best stuff would finally get released? Nintendo is getting stubborn with a clouded vision just like Hiroshi Yamauchi a decade ago. Enjoy your new and malformed child. If they're lucky it will die before long.

Around the Network
BaldrSkies said:
Give that console 50cc's of games, STAT.

LOLOLOLOLOL

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

wiiu dont have stock in stores, yet......(ironic)

gigaSheik said:
Nintendo has no 1 to blame but itself. After a successful motion sensor controll they decide to go back to a more traditional controll setup with a touch screen thrown in there and called it "innovation". Yeah right. Innovation... The first DS is almost 10 years old and that's basically what WiiU is. A glorified 3DS. How many touch screen videogame systems Nintendo wants to sell? Not to mention the embarrassing lack of games. Years of hardware development and no attention to games? I mean come on! This is Nintendo! They made a ton of money out of the Wii and DS why not push game creation? Did they really think another 2D Mario and that crappy Nintendoland would be evergreen titles and carry the system till the best stuff would finally get released? Nintendo is getting stubborn with a clouded vision just like Hiroshi Yamauchi a decade ago. Enjoy your new and malformed child. If they're lucky it will die before long.

Well they were banking on the 3rd party ports to sell the system as they want to give 3rd parties the opportunity to sell well on their system

Stupid strategy cause we all know ports do not shift much hardware. 

They really need to accept that 3rd party support will be minimal on their systems and start creating their own new IPs through partnerships with smaller developers.

@UltimateUnknown

In regards to the Vita I think it is more the case that the Sony fans, and to a large extent even the most vocal fans for the platform. Have copped to the reality or it all, and arguments for good future prospects seem to be halfhearted, or downright lethargic. It is fast becoming a absolute truth that the Vita is destined for failure. It isn't quite there yet, but for the most part the absolute denial is gone.

Meanwhile there is more sport to be had with Nintendo fans, because most of them got caught flat footed, and never really considered the possibility that the new console could actually sell this poorly, or that Nintendo could even have a failure. Which is kind of perplexing, because Nintendo has as much failed hardware as they have had hardware that did well. This is the company after all that gave us the Virtual Boy, The 64DD, The Super Scope, The Power Glove, and R.O.B the Robot.

Nintendo actually has a surprisingly high failure rate. So it should have been at least a possibility in their minds. In reality it was probably a anomaly that the Wii did as well as it did. The right quirky device at just the right time, but most of the time Nintendo fails to hit the mark with its quirky initiatives. The Wii U design was, and is quirky so it really should be considered against that group as a whole. Rather then against consoles like the N64, GameCube, and the NES branded consoles. Those were safer design choices. Where as those other devices weren't all that safe from the get go.

Taking big risks isn't just synonymous with high rewards. It is also synonymous with high failure rates. I am not saying that the latter is the Wii U, but the fact that it could be a dud. Should have been higher in the minds of some fans. If I were a Nintendo fan I would hold my breath when it came to launches. I used to game with Nintendo, and got burned many a time by things they sold me only to abandon in just a few months.

I suppose there is also a dark upside to all of this. Nintendo doesn't really have any qualms about abandoning hardware. If the Wii U doesn't catch on. Nintendo isn't like the other two. They will dump the hardware, and cook up a replacement. So the brand isn't inexorably linked to this specific hardware. Obviously not ideal for anyone who bought the Wii U, but if you have been a Nintendo fan longer then the past generation. You have probably grown to accept that this company has a habit of the old dump and run. Hell sometimes it starts running before it even dumps.

I am not trying to be a ass about it, but I see a lot of Nintendo fans that just don't seem to get Nintendo. Which sadly a lot of fans of other brands are none to shy of reminding them about. The company got a lot of bad rep for a reason in the first place. Nintendo has a real arsonists touch, and fans have gotten burned by them plenty of times. Any truly old school fan of Nintendo knows to keep expectations in check.

Around the Network

It definitely is worrying, but you can't say this is surprising considering the lack of support Wii U is getting. When is the next notable Wii U AAA release?

It's 1 month, probably the slowest month of the year....

Get back to us when this console sells like this consistently