By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retail calls for Wii U price cut and new strategy

No matter what the price I won't buy it till it's $200 (maybe $250) and has a decent amount of memory with Zelda, 3d Mario, SSB, DK, and MK already out for it (not Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Its still early but personally if things don't improve i think they should just bite the bullet, drop the game pad to accessory and start bundling it with an advanced Wiimote and begin releasing games focused on motion. Either that or change the name from WiiU and promote it for what it is which in my eyes is not a Wii2

Nintendo can't afford to drop the price for a few reasons

1. It's already being sold at a loss

2. It's way too early, a price drop now would affect its image against ps4 and xbox

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

theARTIST0017 said:
Nintendo can't afford to drop the price for a few reasons

1. It's already being sold at a loss

2. It's way too early, a price drop now would affect its image against ps4 and xbox

Yeah in the eyes of dedicated gamers maybe, and that only for some time. A year or 2 later, people will have forgotten about that. Look at the 3DS for reference.

They could do it in two steps:

1) Include one extra game in each version as a download, keep price the same. (8GB with NintendoLand, 32GB with NintendoLand and Monster Hunter or something). Mario and NintendoLand surely made back their dev costs by now and including a download version is extremely cheap.

2) Later this year drop the price by $50 on both models. This would get us:

- 8GB basic model + 1 game at $249
- 32GB premium model + 2 games at $299

At these prices and with 3D Mario, Mario Kart and a Zelda remake available sales should be decent enough this christmas.

Around the Network

I think we have to understand that Nintendo can't just churn out games for this machine like it has been doing for the 3DS. The 3DS is a handheld and doesn't require as much manpower or time to develop a game for. On the other hand, Wii U is the first HD console Nintendo has ever made and they are probably understanding right now how long the development cycles for games on these machines can be.

Nintendo releases quality games and I can't see them rushing out half-baked products into the market to increase 1st party support. They will release games but it'll just take time. There isn't much that can be done about it.

I can understand in Europe is in a more dire satuation, but what they are asking is really not a simple solution... If they can hold out for atleast 30 days, it get better, but I can see this wait will be painstaking!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Roma said:
No price cut, just more games along with more advertisement

Yeah, the price for the system isn't bad for what it offers, the problem is Nintendo hasn't made the necessary effort with the Wii U to get original software on the system and to advertise its capablities. It is a lazier launch then even the 3DS in terms of Nintendo output and actual software variety. You want to sell hardware you need the software to make people want to buy it, so far Nintendo has done a pretty shoddy job at doing that.

I would be surprise if Nintendo does a price cut before E3. Even if sales continue like they are right now my best bet is that the price cut will come just before E3 or after. Before that it means Nintendo is extremely desperate.

Nintendo and PC gamer

NoirSon said:
Roma said:
No price cut, just more games along with more advertisement

Yeah, the price for the system isn't bad for what it offers, the problem is Nintendo hasn't made the necessary effort with the Wii U to get original software on the system and to advertise its capablities. It is a lazier launch then even the 3DS in terms of Nintendo output and actual software variety. You want to sell hardware you need the software to make people want to buy it, so far Nintendo has done a pretty shoddy job at doing that.

I think people forget just how threadbare the 3DS launch *was*.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.