By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Console Design Going Backwards?

Tagged games:

Dmick90 said:
ps3-sales! said:
Obvious Nintendo bias is obvious.

I "expanded" my Ps3 harddrive to 1 tb last year. When I had my 360 I "expanded" it's harddrive from 20gb to 120gb.

Not sure what you're not understanding.

That's hard disk space. He's speaking about RAM memory, that's a little bit different... It would be awesome if the PS3 or Xbox was designed to be upgradeable like a PC. Being able to Swap out a video card or upgrade the RAM in a Xbox 360 would definitely extend it's life.

Except developers would have to change how they operate. Games on consoles are not designed to _scale_ with the hardware, they are designed to work on specific specs. You would see some what you saw with the N64 XPAK. Higher resolutions but lower performance. Or in the case of an upgraded video card, higher prices, more failed hardware, worse software.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
DaRev said:
NintendoPie said:
I find it odd that people actually want this back. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

If gamers got time for Wiimotes, Kinect, etc, and now 3inch useless trackpads/touchscreens, surely they have time for expansion that enhances their games' graphics, framerate, gameplay, etc.

But those are controllers, there is a difference.

I don't see a difference, as they are all peripheral devices. The only difference is that the EP boots hardware performance significantly. So I fail to see how your assuming that people wouldn't have time for better hardware and games.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

No. If I wanted that just go to PC gaming. Part of appeal of consoles is I can buy one thing and know it can play all the game made for it next several years. Nice and simple.

ps3-sales! said:
NintendoPie said:
I find it odd that people actually want this back. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Sweet Brown always knows what to say!

it's a terrible idea because it fragments your market. i mean, if it were something that weren't necessary and could always be utilized even on games that were released before the addon is released, then sure that's great. for example, upgrading from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm hdd for faster loading times.  or something like that gameboy player addon that let you play gba games on your gamecube.  stuff like that is great

but something like more RAM? you only really benefit from that if the game was designed to utilize it and requires it. it just splits up your userbase which is a flatout bad idea. the purpose of consoles is to standardize the hardware for the developers to develop on, not the other way around

Around the Network

Well one of the reasons is what could you upgrade with a add-on these days? You could possibly add BC pretty easily but when it comes to CPU / GPU / RAM your going to have massive bottlenecks with bus speeds and it would several layers of complexity and overhead to engines.