By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 more powerful then the 360?

The PS3 is far superior in terms of power, the problem is up until now most Mulit-platform games have used the 360 as the lead console, resulting in a crappy PS3 port. And if you read around, most estimate that only about 25% of the PS3's power is being tamed.

As 2008 continues we'll start to see the PS3 as the lead development platform, which should start to cause a noticeable difference between it and the 360. You might also recall some games for the 360 are being released sub-HD running at resolutions such as 640p.

(Just a side note, all of those comparisons saying the PS3 colors look washed out are due to them not properly setting up their display and using crappy component cables instead of HDMI)

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

In general, any special purpose processor is less expensive, easier to develop for and more powerful in what it was designed to do. No one has really focused on producing a videogame specific CPU, but the same basic rules applies to creating a custom architecture for game development.

Yes, that's the key thing. A special purpose processor is great for what it was designed to do, but try to make it do something else with reasonable performance and you'll start writing your suicide note pretty soon (especially if your internal memory is limited - not talking about RAM here, but the SPEs's memory).

I work in telecommunications software development right now, and we use DSPs for a lot of the stuff, since they're easy to use for signal processing, and they give great performance at it too. But do we use the DSPs for the high level code? Hell no, we have other stuff for that...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ChronotriggerJM said:

Yeah, but some developers we (didn't) expect are really making some waves :P, Take Polyphony for example :P they have a build of their current game running a full 60FPS, 1080p, and maybe 7.1 surround :P Factor 5 tried, polyphony did :) 

Of course only being a year in is a bitch for technology ^^ ESP a build like the cell, but onces it becomse more understood, the ratchet, uncharteds, gt's, metal gears, and such wont be nearly as rare as they are nowadays :) 

Racing Games, RPGs, and Fighting games are very poor examples of what a system is capable of because they require far less processing power for AI, Physics and the overall simulation in general; on top of that there are lots of well known limitations to how the world will be viewed which enables developers to use "hacks" to improve the overall apearance of the games. Even though LAIR was a pretty awful game it has far more going on in its simulation than any of the games that will be said look better than it; being that Factor 5 has produced some of the most technically impressive games of the past several generations, it is safe to assume that 95% of developers will never be able to get the kind of performance they got off of their first attempt.

Username2324 said:
The PS3 is far superior in terms of power, the problem is up until now most Mulit-platform games have used the 360 as the lead console, resulting in a crappy PS3 port. And if you read around, most estimate that only about 25% of the PS3's power is being tamed.

As 2008 continues we'll start to see the PS3 as the lead development platform, which should start to cause a noticeable difference between it and the 360. You might also recall some games for the 360 are being released sub-HD running at resolutions such as 640p.

Don't buy into the Sony BS too much. 25%? Meh, if you're talking about theoritical power of the CPU, which developers never come close to reaching in assymetrical cored machines. I guarantee the RSX is being taxed a lot more than 25% of its capabilities.

And some PS3 games are running sub-720p also. CoD, for example... Or do you think Infinity Ward isn't a capable developer? 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@ChronoTriggerJM
"Yeah, but some developers we (didn't) expect are really making some waves :P, Take Polyphony for example :P they have a build of their current game running a full 60FPS, 1080p, and maybe 7.1 surround :P Factor 5 tried, polyphony did :) "

Even GT5 isn't true 1080p.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Smidlee said:
weezy said:
ff13 isnt coming out till 2009

like I said 360>PS3 right now :)

Especially with broken consoles.

Okay, if you have nothing to contribute to the thread, don't post in it.

He made the statement that Sony fans are trying to justify themselves why they send $600 for PS3 when 360 was cheaper yet as powerful. I made the point that even if both system has the same power the xbox360 has a record of not holding up so the good enough reason itself to pay a little more. I like Dodge Hemi engine trucks but what good to have all that power if the transmission are flying out of them.

Hopely for gamers 360 hardware problem has been solved but that is yet to be seen.

its hard to say which is better,

this is a better comparison

CPU: PS3 > 360
GPU" 360 > PS3

this is all upto the developer, dont even bother to argue about the GPU if you have followed every news article by now we all know 360 Had the edge on the GPU.

Kyros said:
"Again would you really be surprise if the PS3 was more powerful?"

Since both systems have opened their specs it is pretty easy to say which is more powerful.

The 360 has a graphics card that has some nice tricks up its sleeve although in normal situations it is not that much more impressive than the PS3 one.

The 360 has unified memory which seems to make developing somewhat easier. Also its OS is a bit smaller so it has slightly more memory.

If you want to program in normal threads the 360 is easier to develop for since you can use the CPU as a standard 3-core CPU a model many developers and dev tools are comfortable with.

The 360 has faster data access, data transfer rate from their DVD player

The PS3 has faster memory an on-die memory controller and can push data faster through the system.

The PS3 Cell is much, much more powerful if specifically programmed for. if physics, ai, etc. do no use all SPEs the architecture is flexible enough to use Cell SPEs for advanced shading

The PS3 has up to 5-times more space on the BluRay disc.

The PS3 always has a HD disc on which developers can depend.

So in the end both have some advantages: If you program single-threaded both are almost the same. The 360 has some advantages that make it easier to program and it has proven that games that are programmed for it are better than the PS3 port.

When developers start to press the last performance drops out of the system the PS3 has more room for improvement. Much more storage and the awesome Cell processor (which destroys any Intel CPU for some tasks that are suited to it) and an open architecture.
 I have yet to see detailed specs on the RSX. The fact that Sony hasn't released them speaks volumes.

Smidlee said:
rocketpig said:
Smidlee said:
weezy said:

He made the statement that Sony fans are trying to justify themselves why they send $600 for PS3 when 360 was cheaper yet as powerful. I made the point that even if both system has the same power the xbox360 has a record of not holding up so the good enough reason itself to pay a little more. I like Dodge Hemi engine trucks but what good to have all that power if the transmission are flying out of them.

Hopely for gamers 360 hardware problem has been solved but that is yet to be seen.

It's not a big deal, I'm just trying to smooth over a potential flame thread.

Smidlee said:
rocketpig said:
Smidlee said:
weezy said:

i do think he has hurt your feellings, right?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.