By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony console sales 2007

Why are the PS2 sales ignored on this site?  Looks like Sony outsold Nintendo and MS in consoles for 2007.   

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 07th Jan 2007 to 30th Dec 2007:

ConsoleWiiPS3X360XBGCPS2
Total

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network

It like I said in my article - the dominant console from the previous generation, combined with its less successful descendant may keep the company on top in terms of sales for a little while longer, but the focus is always on the contemporary battle (i.e. Wii vs PS3 vs 360 currently).

N64+SNES outsold PS1 in 1995 (SNES alone), then combined in1996 and 1997

PS2+PS3 outsold Wii in in 2006 and 2007.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

The real factors are software sales and sustained hardware profit.

PS2 has low software sales, PSP has abysmal and PS3 is good... relative to the tiny userbase.

PS3 loses massive amounts of money, PSP makes some money (less than a DS) and PS2 likely has razor margins. The net result is massive overall losses.

Finally, PS2 is declining and since neither PS3 nor PSP will fill that void, overall profit trends are negative not positive.

Therefore, it doesn't matter that Sony technically sells the most consoles as their influence on the market is very small and declining.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Ps3 didn't do that bad compared with 360. And the console wasn't released until march in Europe/Others.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Because it doesn't matter. Wii sold the most consoles and is leading this generation. The fact that the PS2 won last generation and is still selling doesn't change that, because it isn't getting major software anymore and is declining rapidly in sales each year. You're just cherry-picking statistics to try and make it look like Sony is doing well like every Sony fanboy here.

Why don't you look at all systems? DS sold 29.9 million, PSP sold 11.3 million. Oh look, Nintendo sold a lot more systems overall than Sony did! But let me guess, for some unexplainable reason, current-gen portables don't count (but last-gen consoles do!).

Around the Network

^^ the PS2 is still getting major software. Even the lineup for next year looks promising.

(and portables are a different market, different generations of consoles are not)

Game_boy said:

The real factors are software sales and sustained hardware profit.

PS2 has low software sales, PSP has abysmal and PS3 is good... relative to the tiny userbase.

PS3 loses massive amounts of money, PSP makes some money (less than a DS) and PS2 likely has razor margins. The net result is massive overall losses.

Finally, PS2 is declining and since neither PS3 nor PSP will fill that void, overall profit trends are negative not positive.

Therefore, it doesn't matter that Sony technically sells the most consoles as their influence on the market is very small and declining.

Please provide your source for the statement "PS3 loses massive amounts of money."  I read this statement a lot on this site and am curious what it is based on?  I am not saying it is false, but I would like to understand what it is based on.

"Therefore, it doesn't matter that Sony technically sells the most consoles as their influence on the market is very small and declining."

I think these numbers show that Sony is serving 2 markets.  The casual gamer market is served by the PS2 and competes with the Wii.  Obviously the Wii dominates this market, but to sell 9 million consoles with 8 year old technology is pretty impressive.  Sony is also doing well in the high definition gaming market.  They are within a 1/2 million sales of the 360.  (The 360 had a far superior game library in 2007).  I don't think these numbers support your theory that Sony's influence on the market is small and declining.

The PS3 did very well compared to the 360. I'd go out on a limb and say that had it launced WW when it launched in the Us/jp, it would have had higher sales.

DKII said:
Because it doesn't matter. Wii sold the most consoles and is leading this generation. The fact that the PS2 won last generation and is still selling doesn't change that, because it isn't getting major software anymore and is declining rapidly in sales each year. You're just cherry-picking statistics to try and make it look like Sony is doing well like every Sony fanboy here.

Why don't you look at all systems? DS sold 29.9 million, PSP sold 11.3 million. Oh look, Nintendo sold a lot more systems overall than Sony did! But let me guess, for some unexplainable reason, current-gen portables don't count (but last-gen consoles do!).

I am not "cherry picking" numbers.  I was comparing console sales for 2007 by company.  I think that is a fairly relevant statistic.  I have no interest in handhelds, nor in comparing Nintendo/MS/Sony's other products.  It is obvious that Nintendo has sold more handhelds, just as it is obvious that MS sold more operating systems. 

Also, please define "Next-Gen" for me.  Do you consider it the time period in which the console was released, or is there a technical requirement?

I wouldn't say the subject is ignored its just not very relevant to the main topic of discussion the current generations console war. However if we want to discuss platform sales total. Ignoring hand held devices which you seem to have done. Your quite wrong. Microsoft supports two platforms, and its often stated to be a detractor for their sales. They support a hardware console, and they support a software driven console in the form of the Vista operating system and games for Live.

I certainly wouldn't advocate the comparison, because quite frankly it isn't relevant to the specific discussions we have on a daily basis. That said if you want to draw on sales outside of the specific then you must include those sales. Then you should probably also consider the virtual console which is basically a retro console repository. Consumers buying parts of previous consoles through their new console.

Perhaps you should get on board with the conservatives on this compare the performance of the three consoles in the current generation. Rather then augmenting said sales with external hardware. You can spin all you like, but everyone can counter spin your logic. So what is the point exactly beyond a desperate hope.