By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Advise on new Ps3slim(old) harddrive ?

Hey, I've been looking into getting a new ps3 harddrive and I'm hoping to find a really good one.

What's really a concern is that the drive operates at a "low" temperature - as to not burn out the system, while, preferably, attaining the magical 7200rpm

I would also prefere low seek times and a drive that doesn't operate too loudly

I was considering a momentus xt, but it seems that the additional performance compared to regular 7200 rpm, on a ps3, doesn't make for much of a difference, and some reports it as getting quite hot.

any advise ?

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Hi
In slims it doesn't matter shich drive you apply , In fats faster (7200) drives may get to warm and the cooling sys of the Phat is not too good.

For seek times it very often doesn't matter, only some games profit mostly bad ports with a big texture hunger eg. Skyrim or Rage.
There is no noticeable diff. between 5XXXX and 7XXX Hdd's. To see the difference you need a SSD, but very pricy.

GotNoUsername said:
Hi
In slims it doesn't matter shich drive you apply , In fats faster (7200) drives may get to warm and the cooling sys of the Phat is not too good.

For seek times it very often doesn't matter, only some games profit mostly bad ports with a big texture hunger eg. Skyrim or Rage.
There is no noticeable diff. between 5XXXX and 7XXX Hdd's. To see the difference you need a SSD, but very pricy.

Yeah, I had a phat once....

Anyways, Since the temperatures differentiate a lot depending on the quality on the drive, yet obtaining information on 2.5' drive temperatures is difficult (unless you look for 2008 models) I would prefere to find a good one that doesn't run extremely hot.

Seek times do matter... Atleast a little :P - Reduces load times on downloaded title

Anyways, because I have ps plus, finding files faster would be a big aid when i download games from the store. I don't like to wait for hours while it installs a 20gb game. If i can get that somewhat down, I'd like that. I realize the biggest difference would come from a SSD, but those are way more expensive than I'm willing to pay :P

A cache larger than 8mb is also preferable.

Thanks for your response :)

Check out my game about moles ^

Dont put in the7200 rpm it will run to hot and plus there is no performance over the 5600 rpm harddrive

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Well how much are you willing to spend? People really recommend hybrid 7200rpm drives but if you got cash to burn you could get a straight SSD, just figure out which ones are worth getting quality wise.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(