By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You people want MOAR Power in 8th Gen consoles, but........

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
zarx said:
There are more game developers today than there ever has been... New studios are opened up all the time.

If what your saying is true then its weird that we hear studios closing all the time. Not kidding but they seem to be more in vita's part though. 

Why is it so weired for companies to close in the first place? 

Companies close because they aren't successful in all industries, I'm not sure why people would expect the videogame industry to be any different. In fact given that videogames is such a relatively new industry that is rappidly changing it's expected that there will be a lot of companies closing and new ones opening. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

I don't think Nintendo knows how to make hardware, that's why it's selling for a lost. And also I think it's the GamePad eating costs. It has a camera, motion controls, wireless and a touch screen

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
I don't think Nintendo knows how to make hardware, that's why it's selling for a lost. And also I think it's the GamePad eating costs. It has a camera, motion controls, wireless and a touch screen

It's not that expensive. The camera is cheap, the motion is just like the PS3's sixaxis, all controllers these days are wireless, and tthe touch screen is resistive. 

zarx said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
zarx said:
There are more game developers today than there ever has been... New studios are opened up all the time.

If what your saying is true then its weird that we hear studios closing all the time. Not kidding but they seem to be more in vita's part though. 

Why is it so weired for companies to close in the first place? 

Companies close because they aren't successful in all industries, I'm not sure why people would expect the videogame industry to be any different. In fact given that videogames is such a relatively new industry that is rappidly changing it's expected that there will be a lot of companies closing and new ones opening. 

It's not necessarily weird. Just that there have been a lot of closures in this gen. More than any other gen. 

Booyah said:
I think a good question to ask is how much harder is it going to be to make money with the increasing development costs combined with the much smaller install base.

This is of course assuming that PS4 and the new Xbox release this year.

I wouldn't count on both releasing this year. One will release next year, but unless they take off out of the gate, you are right, install base may be a problem. 

Around the Network

The really funny part is, people want more power but don't want to pay for it.

Turkish said:
Mazty said:
Turkish said:

There is always a need to surpass that, as long as tech can be improved that is. Currently there is a pixelwar going on on smartphones and tablets, my future  5" phone will have a 1080p screen, I'd definetly want something better than that on my 10x bigger tv.

We won't see retail games in 4K, I never said that, but we'll definetly have few PSN games native at that resolution, with upscale capabilties for 720/1080p games and movies, Sony will advertise it with its 4K tv sets.

The great think with smart phones and tablets are the users are not asking for BF3 to run on their iPad. 

I don't think you understand how resolution works. To notice 4k on a TV, it has to be 60+ inches. The reason phones/tablets use HD is because you are much closer to them. It is really quite pointless to have 4k on a 24" screen. Or, that is what we are led to believe. 

I seriously, seriously doubt any PSN game will be at 4k because it seems a waste of time to program a game in that resolution when a vast, vast minority will have 4k TV's. Even if their price comes down, I know I wouldn't want a 72" TV in my living room because it'd be too damn big xD

Sony will advertise it as a 4k scaling media player - nothing more imo. 

No I don't think you understand resolution works, on a long enough distance even 480p won't be noticeable, I sit 2,5m from my 50" plasma and its definetly not sharp enough. Neither did you seem to understand me, I'll repeat again: retail games won't be 4K but certain PSN games most definetly will.  Phones and tablets are going upwards 400ppi, most people's eyes can't resolve sharpness above 229ppi, its not like our phone displays needed to be HD(or use HD like you put it), they have been sharp enough for years in the first place so the argument of "you cant distnguish pixels now" is rather pointless, if anything higher resolutions than you need on phones are bad for your battery life and performance. When the ps3 came out no one had a 1080p tv, 4K is the next big thing, like it or not. Yes they cost a lot thanks for the obvious but so did the first plasma sets and 1080p tvs.

And i'll repeat again - so few people will own a 4k TV programming a game in 4k is a fucking waste of time.

You also forget that higher resolution = selling point for phones as the average phone owner has no idea what they are buying but "a bigger resolution is better, right?".

You are also completely ignoring the point that 4k TV's are all massive. 60+ inches. For many, many people, that is simply too big. 1080p was about getting the price to come down. As I said, even if 4k comes down in price, the sets are just too big for the vast majority of people.

Please address what I have actually said. You just repeated yourself and ignored my points. 

Ultimately, the issue with 4k is not the price, it's the size, and that won't change over time.

Mazty said:
Turkish said:
Mazty said:
Turkish said:

There is always a need to surpass that, as long as tech can be improved that is. Currently there is a pixelwar going on on smartphones and tablets, my future  5" phone will have a 1080p screen, I'd definetly want something better than that on my 10x bigger tv.

We won't see retail games in 4K, I never said that, but we'll definetly have few PSN games native at that resolution, with upscale capabilties for 720/1080p games and movies, Sony will advertise it with its 4K tv sets.

The great think with smart phones and tablets are the users are not asking for BF3 to run on their iPad. 

I don't think you understand how resolution works. To notice 4k on a TV, it has to be 60+ inches. The reason phones/tablets use HD is because you are much closer to them. It is really quite pointless to have 4k on a 24" screen. Or, that is what we are led to believe. 

I seriously, seriously doubt any PSN game will be at 4k because it seems a waste of time to program a game in that resolution when a vast, vast minority will have 4k TV's. Even if their price comes down, I know I wouldn't want a 72" TV in my living room because it'd be too damn big xD

Sony will advertise it as a 4k scaling media player - nothing more imo. 

No I don't think you understand resolution works, on a long enough distance even 480p won't be noticeable, I sit 2,5m from my 50" plasma and its definetly not sharp enough. Neither did you seem to understand me, I'll repeat again: retail games won't be 4K but certain PSN games most definetly will.  Phones and tablets are going upwards 400ppi, most people's eyes can't resolve sharpness above 229ppi, its not like our phone displays needed to be HD(or use HD like you put it), they have been sharp enough for years in the first place so the argument of "you cant distnguish pixels now" is rather pointless, if anything higher resolutions than you need on phones are bad for your battery life and performance. When the ps3 came out no one had a 1080p tv, 4K is the next big thing, like it or not. Yes they cost a lot thanks for the obvious but so did the first plasma sets and 1080p tvs.

And i'll repeat again - so few people will own a 4k TV programming a game in 4k is a fucking waste of time.

You also forget that higher resolution = selling point for phones as the average phone owner has no idea what they are buying but "a bigger resolution is better, right?".

You are also completely ignoring the point that 4k TV's are all massive. 60+ inches. For many, many people, that is simply too big. 1080p was about getting the price to come down. As I said, even if 4k comes down in price, the sets are just too big for the vast majority of people.

Please address what I have actually said. You just repeated yourself and ignored my points. 

Ultimately, the issue with 4k is not the price, it's the size, and that won't change over time.

1080p was about getting the price to come down? What are you talking about? You don't make sense. The first 50" 1080p plasma cost around $15,000 back in 2006. Over time they got cheaper, the average tv size has been getting bigger and will continue to get bigger as they gradually become affordable. I hear today many people say they wished they bought a bigger tv afterwards getting a 42-46" set. You're again ill informed about the sizes 4K come in, Sony will release a 55" 4K tv in spring. Here's the average screen sizes from 2002-2009. TVs got bigger and they will continue to get bigger.

In due time 4K will be affordable, once they're affordable so will there be an increase in content. If there was no substance to the quest for greater resolution, then no one would've cared about Retina displays or 1080p on smartphones. 4K is another part of the pixel density war.

Heavenly_King said:
justinian said:
Developers want more power. More power means better looking games, more intelligent AI etc, etc and the potential for far better games overall. The consoles with the oomph are the ones the developers are likely to support with in turn push up the sales. This is evident from the way many of them dismissed the wii u.

The wii sold a lot of consoles without third party support but it is looking very likely that this underpower console thing that nintendo insist on doing isn't going to work this time around.

The truth is processing power rules with the developers and it is has always played a part for the consumer, seems this will be the case even more next gen.

BTW I do not believe developers when they say PS and xbox regular game prices will stay the same next gen anymore than I would a politician telling me that my taxes and the cost of living will stay the same next year. I simply do not believe it.

As time passes tech gets cheap.   The only reason why PS360 costs $60 is because publishers needed to make their Wii games appealing.    If a PS3 game costs $50 and a Wii game costs $50, according to you which one people would think that is outrageous to have that price?  So instead of making Wii games cheaper they made PS360 games more expensive.   Think about it, why the same version of a game that is also available for PC costs $50 and not $60??? 

When next gen enters overdrive, it will require less resources to make "previous gen" games, making them cheaper to make; and the "current gen" games will cost just about the same as it is right now.

In theory what you said makes sense. But pratically I don't think this will be the case.

PC high-end games sell  poorly compared to their console counterparts. That's why I believe PC game prices are priced as they are. Making them the same price as console games will do little to improve already weak sales.

For example Crysis is the best selling big budget PC game in the last 6 years with approx. 3m sales ( Please note I am not including PC role-playing or sims etc., as these are cheap to produce ). Compare that to the console big budget hitters.

History confirms prices don't fall. If regular games cost $70.00 at the start of next gen I believe they will stay that price until the end of the gen  no matter how cheap they are to produce.

I was paying £45-£49 for regular console games at the start of this gen and am paying the same now. Aren't they now easier and cheaper to develope?

Why am I still paying the same now? Why should this change next gen?

Not saying you are wrong, just stating what I think will happen.

justinian said:
Heavenly_King said:
justinian said:
Developers want more power. More power means better looking games, more intelligent AI etc, etc and the potential for far better games overall. The consoles with the oomph are the ones the developers are likely to support with in turn push up the sales. This is evident from the way many of them dismissed the wii u.

The wii sold a lot of consoles without third party support but it is looking very likely that this underpower console thing that nintendo insist on doing isn't going to work this time around.

The truth is processing power rules with the developers and it is has always played a part for the consumer, seems this will be the case even more next gen.

BTW I do not believe developers when they say PS and xbox regular game prices will stay the same next gen anymore than I would a politician telling me that my taxes and the cost of living will stay the same next year. I simply do not believe it.

As time passes tech gets cheap.   The only reason why PS360 costs $60 is because publishers needed to make their Wii games appealing.    If a PS3 game costs $50 and a Wii game costs $50, according to you which one people would think that is outrageous to have that price?  So instead of making Wii games cheaper they made PS360 games more expensive.   Think about it, why the same version of a game that is also available for PC costs $50 and not $60??? 

When next gen enters overdrive, it will require less resources to make "previous gen" games, making them cheaper to make; and the "current gen" games will cost just about the same as it is right now.

In theory what you said makes sense. But pratically I don't think this will be the case.

PC high-end games sell  poorly compared to their console counterparts. That's why I believe PC game prices are priced as they are. Making them the same price as console games will do little to improve already weak sales.

For example Crysis is the best selling big budget PC game in the last 6 years with approx. 3m sales and that's huge compared to other high-end PC games. ( Please note I am not including PC role-playing or sims etc., as these are cheap to produce ). Compare that to the console big budget hitters.

History confirms prices don't fall. If regular games cost $70.00 at the start of next gen I believe they will stay that price until the end of the gen  no matter how cheap they are to produce.

I was paying £45-£49 for regular console games at the start of this gen and am paying the same now. Aren't they now easier and cheaper to develope?

Why am I still paying the same now? Why should this change next gen?

Not saying you are wrong, just stating what I think will happen.