By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony believes PS3 could catch Xbox 360 this summer

What are they counting as Europe?

Going purely by the 'Others' category on this site (and assuming Europe is a big part of that) then it's possible as:

360 launched around November 2005 in Europe (correct) as has sold 5.44 M in 'Others' in approx 25 months and with 3 holidays under its belt.

PS3 launched around March 2007 (correct?) and has sold 3.90 M in 'Others' in approx 10 months with 1 holiday under its belt.

So yes, looking at those figures its in with a shout - but a lot could affect that both ways - i.e. how GTA and MGS go on PS3 vs GTA and other exclusives on 360.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

europe hmm maybe depends on what gta$ does

ww no

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

This will largely depend on MS tactics as regards future price drops.

Any move in the UK to put the Xbox Pro at a 199 GBP price point will be hard for Sony to counter IMHO.

There will of course be bundle deals but Sony still has a lot of work to do.
MS has apparently got a war chest ready to push GTA IV. The lack of advertising may simply be an effort to keep their powder dry.

A friend of mine who works in a major retail chain says that the tactic will most likely centre on the Downloadble content for the 360. I doubt MS will want anyone to be unaware that the GTA game will be a "better experience" on the 360. They did pay through the nose for it after all.

If the price points stay the same I think the PS3 will indeed catch the 360 but given their exposure my instincts say that MS will do there best to forge ahead in Q2.

I think an agressive advertising campaign around GTA and an extremely attractive bundle deal are the least we can expect.

Lord alone knows what will happen if Sony counter with there own price drop. There could be blood on the streets.

Well I don't think Sony will be in a position to drop the price again till late 08 at the earliest. They are already losing loads on the ps3 and will probably try to bundle some of their in house games instead.

madskillz said:
WAR_MACHINE77 said:
I really wouldn't be shocked if the PS3 did pass the 360 by the end of summer. The PS3 is consistantly out selling 360 even without any big titles coming out right now to drive sales, so its not hard to imagine that it'll be worse as the big games drop.

I'm bookmarking this thread to pull out August 31st to get a great laugh ... in Europe? Possible. Worldwide? Are you ill? LOL ... 

I thought we were only talking about the others region. I never intended to imply that it would pass the 360 WW in 6 months.

PSN ID: WAR_MACHINE77  Wii friend code: 7186 4304 6064 5134 Gamertag: WARMACHINE mk2

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
Post here to play with fellow VGC members in WarHawk! -> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937
Around the Network

WW? )) yeah sure..
even if they sell 9 mln. in next 7 month, that will be.... only 18 mln.

16.75 vs 9.5 now. and 30 weeks with average 120k per week 3,75 mln. = 20,5 mln. That`s 2,5 mln. more.

Unless 299$/euro costing PS3 will sell OMG(more then 300k weekly), while x360 will stop selling. =))

3% of becoming real.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Yeah right. Sony thinks to much.

This was posted already/close thread

Off topic: Also people think everyone is leo-j now? Is this the return of "everyone is gballzack" now being replaced with leo-j?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I don't see were you can say it's outselling constantly when we are talking about less than 90 days of sales.... and that during holiday season.... it's close to insignificant into an analysis... it could crash totally tomorrow like it could jump back like WII seems to do this last week...
PS3 has a good hand to play in others... but it's far from acquired for them..... XB can come back there.... I don't see why people could hope to see PS3 come back WW on brand name and not XB in other with a good strategy... I think the second one is way either to achieve for XB than WW for PS3....

and carzyman it's not 3% it's 0% of becoming real lol :) I can argue with you on the rest but that's a total fantasy even in a religious book they wouldn't dare say something like that :P

lol I don't know but leo J is funny though..... and when he goes berserker... you can basically come up with any argument you are probably more accurate and realistic than he is at the end... but it's a goodfella... I'm sure it must be fun to play against him