By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony believes PS3 could catch Xbox 360 this summer

http://play.tm/story/15725

Sony believes PS3 could catch Xbox 360 this summer

Oh how the times change and the fickle world of gaming shifts. Sony appear to be looking to press home their recent PS3 gains, SCEE President David Reeves stating boldly that by the end of the summer the PS3 will have 'overtaken' the Xbox 360 in Europe.

Chatting with trade mag MCV, Reeves revealed that the PS3 was already outselling Microsoft's machine in France, Spain, Germany and Italy. Over a million sales in December across Europe also boosted the system's position. The PSP and PS2 each broke the million milestone for the month, as well.

"In December, we sold just over a million PlayStation 3s during the month. That's across all PAL territories and that's a sell-through figure," reeves beamed. "About 20-22 per cent of that figure was sold in the UK alone. We're very happy with the performance of the PS3 in the UK".

Reeves also said that the PS3 was outselling the Xbox 360 by "three-to-one" in the last week.

Around the Network

I think there are already about 2-3 threads about this on the front page.

Sony executives believe a lot of things. Probably not all the things they say (nobody does), but a lot of things regardless. The 3 to 1 figure includes the PS2 and PSP. Not sure if he's misleading us by accident or on purpose.

There are already quite a few threads about this btw. =/

...in europe. purposely misleading title much?

not yet... with current sales i reckon it will catch the 369 around september in europe

Around the Network

Title needs to be changed. I almost fell off my chair when I read it the first time.

I know, but thats the title of the article

really i remember something different

Ok, Europe.
x360 - 4328k.
ps3 - 3427k.

Difference 900k.
With 15k gap weekly = 60 weeks or only next year. =)) Though during Christmas gap is much bigger, so in worst case by the end of 2008.
With 30k gap weekly = 30 weeks or 7 month = End of August.

During this time, MGS4 coming to ps3, GT5P gets euro release + KZ2 still has chances of release. Time will show, we should wait for GDC and SGD. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Sony say alot of shit, I stopped listening after they said the ps2 would have Toy Story 2 graphics.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-