By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - David Reeves strongly contradicts vgchartz?

Not surprising, vg does under track PS3 sales in Europe. Also does not count half a million PS3s that were sold in india.

he said PAL that can pretty much mean everything but NA and Japan.

Around the Network
BKK2 said:
"he may also be talking about sold to retailer, since they don't have numbers on sold to consumer"

Of course they have numbers on sold to consumers. How do you think they know how many the competition has sold?

Answer: Weekly sales figures from Chart-Track & GfK.
 They always tell the sold to retailers because it is the always the higher number which looks good to Media.. 

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Considering how pro-360 you've always been I'm surprised to see you arguing that the PS3 numbers are too low/360 numbers too high.

Since he only quoted a single week, it's likely either an anomaly or a mis-quote of the data. I'll see if I can get clarification but don't hold your breath.

BKK2, after all this talk about how this obviously means the PS3 is suddenly destroying 360 sales without warning and for no discernible reason, and we're just blind or biased if we don't believe that based on Sony's own word ...

If -- when -- you turn out to be completely wrong, I just hope we can expect you on the Crow Eating Thread. But I'm not going to make that a prediction.

[edit:  I'll concede that it's not as if you're predicting that this is part of an actual trend.  But even as an anomaly this is pretty unbelievable and I think you're way out of line for saying people are foolish to distrust Sony PR.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Didn't we debunk that 500K PS3s sold in India rumor that Mars mentioned?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
catofellow said:
How many different PAL tracking firms are there? As Sony does not run their own tracking firm (hence they wouldn't know 360 sales for a period as short as 1 week) they must be viewing some 3rd party sales data. Are there any weekly charts that have PS3 at 3:1 vs. 360? If not it could be a lie, or a mistake. Also, of course if VGchartz if off GFK will be off too. VGchartz is set up to mirror other sales data like NPD, Famitsu, and GFK.

VGchartz does not mirror other sales data.  Ioi gathers sales data from his own sources and only uses other trackers to adjust his formula's.

Speaking of bias...how is it going BKK2??

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

BKK2 said:
If you read the full interview Reeves was answering a question about PS3 catching up with 360, clearly he was only talking about PS3 sales the previous week.

"And how do you feel PS3 is doing in terms of ‘catching up’ with your rivals who launched earlier?

We don’t often mention competition but I will give you some interesting data. In terms of installed base in some of our major markets, such as France, Spain, Germany, Italy, plus some distributor territories in smaller markets like Switzerland, our current cumulative installed base is now higher than that of Xbox 360.

It has not quite yet reached that in the UK. But the team here expect to overtake installed base of Xbox 360 across PAL territories in late summer. I would say before, but that is when we think we will overtake Xbox 360.

It’s worth mentioning that last week we outsold Xbox 360 in PAL territories by a ratio of 3:1.

And how has PSP performed?

Again, I’m calling December a trinity because it’s all ‘ones’ – PSP sold more than one million units in December. It was slightly more than PS3. And we did have some substantial stock problems, just as Wii and DS did. So we could have been higher.

We’ve also seen some good growth rates: Russia was up 80 per cent, Italy up 70 per cent, Australia up 45 per cent. I don’t have a UK number but it was certainly positive.

We are still suffering from some stock shortages, but we’re air freighting in units as fast as we can. The UK is probably okay. But in Benelux, Iberia, Italy and Russia we’re seeing shortages and that’s where we’re feeding in stock at the moment.

How about PS2?

Again, PS2 did in excess of a million sell-through for December. Distributor markets accounted for about 55 per cent of sales, with Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Russia the key markets. From our point of view, social gaming titles were the ones driving the business. That will continue to be the case for PS2 for some time."

Link

Yes except Sony has DONE THAT BEFORE. Where they were asked a direct question about one console then parlayed it into a combined sales vs 360.

They did the same thing when it looked like he claimed that the PS2 outsold the Wii on the year. It went from a direct commment to the PS2, to directly saying something like "you should also note we've outsold every other console in europe this year including the Wii."

Your new, so you probably missed it. But this is literally the same trick he pulled a few months ago.

iclim4 said:
TWRoO said:
We shall see... considering we are in line with GFK for PAL then there are only two options which are like sqrl said.
either PS3 recieved a rather odd boost in sales for 1 week, or when reeves chose to say "we" instead of PS3 he meant PS family.

hes got to be pretty slow if he meant the ps family, since the question was

"And how do you feel PS3 is doing in terms of ‘catching up’ with your rivals who launched earlier?"

He's done the exact same before however.  He's not slow.  He's switching the conversation without you noticing.  Note how he says "It's also worth mentioning.  As in, this is unrelated... but interesting."

Who is?