By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Embedded Chips May not be Sony's only Anti-Piracy/Second-Hand Solution

So we should just punch any pirate we see in real life yes?

Around the Network

Sounds good to me.

Am I the only one thinking this could be used for more? Say I got me some Uncharted 4 with DLC and want to loan it to my friend. With this Sony could have the DLC on-disc and my friend wouldn't need internet. Of course this only scratches the surface. I could make the game only playable on my account if I bought it so other family members couldn't try it out. Or I could buy a used game and see how much the previous owner played it.

If Sony makes the discs like in the patent, down the line they could add these crazy features.

I'm firmly against pirating games.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

I'm against software piracy as well, but I won't get on anybody's case for doing it.

However, I think companies also have every right to defend their IPs with anti-piracy measures and give pirates as hard a time as they can to overcome it. As long as those measures don't have any negative impact on their paying customers.

Can you imagine how outraged people would be if you a book could only be read by the first reader or a car wouldn't drive unless the driver bought the car new?

I have nothing against anti-piracy technology, but it should NEVER infringe on our ownership rights.

If Sony wants to make sure that the game in the PS4 is a legit retail product that's fine with me. If Sony locks a game to the first buyer I will have a big problem with that. I've owned every Playstation console, but if Sony takes away my right to do with my property as I wish I will have a hard time justifying making room on my TV stand for the PS4. The same goes for MS and Nintendo.

It's bad enough that even retail PC games will lock a registration key to the first user and I often will buy a console port instead of the superior PC version to avoid that nonsense.

Don't punish me for buying your games, punish the pirates for stealing them.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
It's bad enough that even retail PC games will lock a registration key to the first user and I often will buy a console port instead of the superior PC version to avoid that nonsense.

That is a practice that's falling out of favor.  Most new PC games have unlimited activations or are even DRM free like the Humble Bundle games.  I always check what the DRM situation is before I buy a PC game.

chris_wing said:
kain_kusanagi said:

That is a practice that's falling out of favor.  Most new PC games have unlimited activations or are even DRM free like the Humble Bundle games.  I always check what the DRM situation is before I buy a PC game.

I love the humble bundle stuff. I've payed over average on nearly every bundle.

kain_kusanagi said:
Can you imagine how outraged people would be if you a book could only be read by the first reader or a car wouldn't drive unless the driver bought the car new?

I have nothing against anti-piracy technology, but it should NEVER infringe on our ownership rights.

If Sony wants to make sure that the game in the PS4 is a legit retail product that's fine with me. If Sony locks a game to the first buyer I will have a big problem with that. I've owned every Playstation console, but if Sony takes away my right to do with my property as I wish I will have a hard time justifying making room on my TV stand for the PS4. The same goes for MS and Nintendo.

Of course they won't. The whole point of an anti-piracy or DRM system is to MAKE MONEY. If anything, this would work the same as an online pass by locking out features of a game such as online multiplayer.

With piracy the publishers/developers get no money from your illegal download. The funny thing with used games is that Gamestop gets your money instead of EA/Ubisoft..etc whoever makes this game.  That's just wrong IMO. I'm not against re-sellling your old games but there should be systems in place for publishers to earn money from used games.

VGKing said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Of course they won't. The whole point of an anti-piracy or DRM system is to MAKE MONEY. If anything, this would work the same as an online pass by locking out features of a game such as online multiplayer.

With piracy the publishers/developers get no money from your illegal download. The funny thing with used games is that Gamestop gets your money instead of EA/Ubisoft..etc whoever makes this game.  That's just wrong IMO. I'm not against re-sellling your old games but there should be systems in place for publishers to earn money from used games.

In what world do you live in where you have to send a check to a bunch of manufacturers after a garage sale?

When I buy something, ANYTHING, it's my property. And I get to do anything I want with my property. I can keep it forever, give it away as a gift, sell it, trade it, modify it, smash it with a hammer, burn it in a toaster, etc. My property is mine. The company that sold me my property has no rights to it once I've paid and left the store.

Should Ford get a peice of the action every time a 69' Mustang gets sold to a new owner?

Should Micheal Bay get 10% of a scratched up used copy of Pearl Harbor sold at a flea market?

Should Van Goph's family get a check every time one of his paintings changes hands?

Should Hasbro make money everytime a collector buys a G1 Optimus Prime on ebay?

The answer is the same for video games, NO! Activision should not get a cut if I sell my Call of Duty to  friend and EA shouldn't get a dime if I sell my copy if NHL 94 for the Sega Genesis.

When you buy something it's ownership transfers to you and you alone. It is 100% yours.

Publishers have spent that last 10 years tricking people into believing that they retain rights to the stuff they sell to their customers. They think they can make video games into a service like TV or XM radio. They think everyone will just role over and say good I'm glad your making more money and I don't own anything I pay for anymore.

Don't let them fool you into thinking that they deserve more money than what they sell their games for. They sold it to you and that's the end of the deal. Contract complete. Services rendered. They got their money and you got your game. You don't own them anything else.

kain_kusanagi said:
VGKing said:
kain_kusanagi said:

In what world do you live in where you have to send a check to a bunch of manufacturers after a garage sale?

When I buy something, ANYTHING, it's my property. And I get to do anything I want with my property. I can keep it forever, give it away as a gift, sell it, trade it, modify it, smash it with a hammer, burn it in a toaster, etc. My property is mine. The company that sold me my property has no rights to it once I've paid and left the store.

Should Ford get a peice of the action every time a 69' Mustang gets sold to a new owner?

Should Micheal Bay get 10% of a scratched up used copy of Pearl Harbor sold at a flea market?

Should Van Goph's family get a check every time one of his paintings changes hands?

Should Hasbro make money everytime a collector buys a G1 Optimus Prime on ebay?

The answer is the same for video games, NO! Activision should not get a cut if I sell my Call of Duty to  friend and EA shouldn't get a dime if I sell my copy if NHL 94 for the Sega Genesis.

When you buy something it's ownership transfers to you and you alone. It is 100% yours.

Publishers have spent that last 10 years tricking people into believing that they retain rights to the stuff they sell to their customers. They think they can make video games into a service like TV or XM radio. They think everyone will just role over and say good I'm glad your making more money and I don't own anything I pay for anymore.

Don't let them fool you into thinking that they deserve more money than what they sell their games for. They sold it to you and that's the end of the deal. Contract complete. Services rendered. They got their money and you got your game. You don't own them anything else.

It's fine if you believe that, but if I was a developer and Gamestop was getting 50% of my revenue, I'd be pissed.

Like I said before, I'm not against buying second-hand games. Software works completely different from software. These are 2 completel different things.