By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony TOTALLY get rid of BC in the PS3?

Hmm, how much do you think a 60gb will go for now on ebay......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

They better keep it for I hope to get a ps3 one day, and my ps2 is pretty old and does not read some of my games so ya they better keep it.

My local Worst Buy has zero 80 gigs and dozens of 40 gigs in stock.

zackblue said:
@naznatips

I disagree, I have an 80gb playstation 3 system and almost every single one of my 87 ps2 games work, only about 8 had problems and they were very old games.

Also the 80gb can play nearly 90% of all ps2 games, I call that great BC. Just because your games dont work doesnt mean that the other 500-600 games out there will not work either.

Ratchet & Clank: Throughout gameplay, the title performs at signifficantly lower than normal speeds.

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando:  Throughout gameplay, the title performs at signifficantly lower than normal speeds.

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal: At a specific point during gameplay, the title hangs (read: Locks up).

Dragon Quest VIII: At specific points in the title, the audio plays overlapped with static audio distortion.

Gran Turismo 4: During various FMA sequences, the vehicles do not navigate the track as intended.  Throughout gameplay, extraneous graphics randomly appear at the top left corner of the screen. At a specific point during gameplay, the title hangs (read: Locks up).  During network gameplay, the title performs out of sync with other users.  

Tekken Tag Tournament: At a specific point during gameplay, the title hangs (read: Locks up).

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence: During various FMA sequences throughout the title, the FMA doesn't play as smooth as normal.  Throughout gameplay, the title performs at signifficantly lower than normal speeds.

Those aren't minor old games.  Those are major issues (sometimes unplayable ones) with major games.  There used to be more issues, but some have been fixed since the last time I checked.  Still, there are some major issues with 80GB backwards compatability. 

@ Naztips

Are those only with the 80GB model? I have yet to encounter an issue with my 60GB, tho i yet to play some games on it, like DQ VIII, which I wanna play again now :( lol

Around the Network

according to podcast beyond from the ps3 ign team... they want to get rid of BC, to sell PS2 games through the PSN store

I can see it being a big issue for future adopters, but why not just buy a ps2 to play ps2 games. I have a 60 gig ps3 and don't use it at all to play ps2 games. Its there, but I still have my ps2 hooked up. Sony should eventually lower the ps2 price to $50, so I don't see that as a big deal.

I don't remember too many people throwing fists over the N64 not playing SNES game. Unless I'm mistaken.

Ari_Gold said:
according to podcast beyond from the ps3 ign team... they want to get rid of BC, to sell PS2 games through the PSN store

That would also be a logical reason to get rid of BC too.  

Soriku, when are you actually going to get a PS3?

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

ummm, if they get rid of bc, then you wont be able to play those ps2 games in the psn store. duh