By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony TOTALLY get rid of BC in the PS3?

Probably will take it away, maybe try to addi n software emulation at some point

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Why do you care about BC? Nobody plays games on their PS3, they watch BluRay! :P

Just keep your PS2 as well.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

I got a (60GB) PS3 for a number of reasons. One of them was BC. It's one of the many flawed decisions Sony has made recently. They will lose a lot of potential customers with this idiocy of theirs.

twesterm said:
Why do you care about BC? Nobody plays games on their PS3, they watch BluRay! :P

That's the only thing I don't do with my PS3, as well as not using the web browser 90% of time lol >.> <.< 

Would you consider in-game cut scenes BluRay for PS3 exclusive games? lol 

Around the Network

i will not even consider a PS3 unless it comes with a reasonable form of BC. I never owned a PS2, but there are plenty of PS2 games which im sure i would purchase if i had a PS3 with BC.

For me, No BC = no sale whatsoever.

Well, it's BC with PS1 games so they won't get rid of it totally. And soriku, software emulation means exactly what PS1 BC is right now. They have no PS1 hardware in the PS3, the processor and the software reads the disks and converts the data into a playable game. Sure, there will always be hiccups with some games along the way, but the majority will be fine and play as they normally would on a PS2.

I expect Sony in the next year or less to release software emulation that would make all PS3's BC. They put the no BC sticker/disclaimer on the 40gb's just in case they cannot figure out a way to emulate the PS2 games completely on the software on the PS3. I've thought all along that they will finally get that problem licked and have the software emulation on the PS3 fully.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

I think they will keep it in some form or another, but they could go to software emulation instead of using the Emotion Engine. They could be preparing to implement YET ANOTHER SKU.

jjseth said:
Well, it's BC with PS1 games so they won't get rid of it totally. And soriku, software emulation means exactly what PS1 BC is right now. They have no PS1 hardware in the PS3, the processor and the software reads the disks and converts the data into a playable game. Sure, there will always be hiccups with some games along the way, but the majority will be fine and play as they normally would on a PS2.

I expect Sony in the next year or less to release software emulation that would make all PS3's BC. They put the no BC sticker/disclaimer on the 40gb's just in case they cannot figure out a way to emulate the PS2 games completely on the software on the PS3. I've thought all along that they will finally get that problem licked and have the software emulation on the PS3 fully.

Man, you're like a top.

Let me ask you this: do you think they should have waited until they actually got full or near full software emulation working for PS2 games before they removed it from the PS3? 

ikilledkenny said:
I think they will keep it in some form or another, but they could go to software emulation instead of using the Emotion Engine. They could be preparing to implement YET ANOTHER SKU.
That would be a bitch...