By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Check out Julie's SXSW keynote LIVE with Joshua Topolsky Live now.

"Every year a new Ouya.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-07-ouya-there-will-be-a-new-ouya-every-year"

They say games will be backwards compatible so if you buy Ouya 1 it might serve you well enough for 2-3 years, then if you get Ouya 3 or Ouya 4 you can still play your old games (maybe at a faster frame rate), plus new games that may begin to reach the graphical levels of the big boys.
Considering a console upgrade without a controller included (to save money for upgraders) may only be $70-$80 it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
mrstickball said:
When talking about graphics on the OUYA, I think the real issue will not be the hardware specs, but if developers put money into optimizing / developing for the system.

The specs are nothing short of beefy - something that should theoretically heads & shoulders above the Wii, and somewhere close to 360/PS3 level. The real question is if developers push the console like they have with other consoles / mobile games.

If they do, there will be some sick games.

so you (may have mentioned it in my other thread but memory doesn't serve me well) have interest in Ouya.

i'd like to see Developers take full advantage of Ouya, but i think the problem with that will be a new Ouya releasing every yr.

i think yr'ly iterastions will kill Ouya.

Why?  Never killed PC gaming.

Besides Ouya is hardly the only Android gaming console.   There will be another 5-6 that we know of (either a TV console or portable gaming system/tablet) and some already have beefier specs than Ouya.   They'll need to upgrade yearly or will be quickly outdated.

Developers will just do what they do on PC.  Develop to either: The highest mark and make it scalable or The lowest common denominator so it runs on all systems.

A year one Ouya will eventually become so outdated it can run the newest games anymore.  But then, so do consoles.

Gamerace said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
mrstickball said:
When talking about graphics on the OUYA, I think the real issue will not be the hardware specs, but if developers put money into optimizing / developing for the system.

The specs are nothing short of beefy - something that should theoretically heads & shoulders above the Wii, and somewhere close to 360/PS3 level. The real question is if developers push the console like they have with other consoles / mobile games.

so you (may have mentioned it in my other thread but memory doesn't serve me well) have interest in Ouya.

i'd like to see Developers take full advantage of Ouya, but i think the problem with that will be a new Ouya releasing every yr.

i think yr'ly iterastions will kill Ouya.

Why?  Never killed PC gaming.

Besides Ouya is hardly the only Android gaming console.   There will be another 5-6 that we know of (either a TV console or portable gaming system/tablet) and some already have beefier specs than Ouya.   They'll need to upgrade yearly or will be quickly outdated.

Developers will just do what they do on PC.  Develop to either: The highest mark and make it scalable or The lowest common denominator so it runs on all systems.

A year one Ouya will eventually become so outdated it can run the newest games anymore.  But then, so do consoles.

wel i guess i'm jumping the gun, but i'm still not in favor of the idea. just reminds me of COD.

@chris_wing  thanks

The thing with consoles nowadays is buy a new console and anticipate for new games to come.
I'm getting console X so that I can play game X in the future.
You will need good prediction skills and be a dedicated gamer, but still XIII Versus or The Last Guardian.

Every year a new console means waiting until there are enough games you want to play and then buy a new console.
I'm getting console X because I will be able to play game X (that I couldn't play before)
You don't need to predict because its somewhat pointless, you need to have patience or buy each iteration yearly.

Things will be upside down.

mrstickball said:

The specs are OK, nothing beefy. Definitely it shouldn't be in the same sentence as the 360/PS3. Its CPU is slightly weaker than Vita but the overclocking will probably lead to better results because they don't need to worry about overheating and power consumption. The GPU is much weaker though, Nvidia mobile GPU's are subpar to say the least. So it won't be nowhere as good as Vita, let alone 360/PS3.

Around the Network

"wel i guess i'm jumping the gun, but i'm still not in favor of the idea. just reminds me of COD."

It should remind you more of the iPhone.  An iPhone that's 2-3 years old can still do most things.

michael_stutzer said:
mrstickball said:

The specs are OK, nothing beefy. Definitely it shouldn't be in the same sentence as the 360/PS3. Its CPU is slightly weaker than Vita but the overclocking will probably lead to better results because they don't need to worry about overheating and power consumption. The GPU is much weaker though, Nvidia mobile GPU's are subpar to say the least. So it won't be nowhere as good as Vita, let alone 360/PS3.

Closer to Vita then Wii in power.  But it's only $99.

Distant Star said:

The thing with consoles nowadays is buy a new console and anticipate for new games to come.
You will need good prediction skills and be a dedicated gamer, but still XIII Versus or The Last Guardian.

Every year a new console means waiting until there are enough games you want to play and then buy a new console.
I'm getting console X because I will be able to play game X (that I couldn't play before)
You don't need to predict because its somewhat pointless, you need to have patience or buy each iteration yearly.

and that's the problem with Ouya releasing every yr.

one things for sure. dev support will be hard to keep for it if they rely on 3rd party support it.

chris_wing said:

"wel i guess i'm jumping the gun, but i'm still not in favor of the idea. just reminds me of COD."

It should remind you more of the iPhone.  An iPhone that's 2-3 years old can still do most things.

srry i have a gamers mind, but iphone would be more correct. like i've said though Ouya's going to have a hard time getting main stream Dev./Pub support having yr.'ly itereations.

the only thing i could think of that would keep Dev's/Pub's coming is the low cost of develpoment.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Distant Star said:

and that's the problem with Ouya releasing every yr.

one things for sure. dev support will be hard to keep for it if they rely on 3rd party support it.

The developers can choose to continue to develope with Ouya1 as there target, with simply higher frame rate & resolution available to people with Ouya 2 & up.  I'd prefer an every other year release myself, just to allow more focus on specific hardware.