By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Tie Ratio at 8:1 in December

The Wii sold more software than the 360, that's the big news here! The Wii sold 11 million games in the US in December, the 360 only 10 million games. Clearly, the old king of software sales is dead.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

What I found funny is this:

Total software sales for December:
Wii - 10,948,500
Wii without Wii Play - 9,868,500
360 - 9,777,600
PS3 - 4,019,904

Total software sales life to date:
360 - 63,873,600
Wii - 34,194,016
Wii without Wii Play - 30,074,016
PS3 - 13,844,148

Total 360 software sales as of 31 December 2006 - 22,950,000
(Hardware: 4.5 million, Tie Ratio: 5.1)

Wii Wins December without Wii Play, and crushes the 360 for the same time period by over 7 million games EVEN WITHOUT WII PLAY OR WII SPORTS.

Basically what most people use to try and discredit Wii's software sales is Wiiplay. Cries of "It shouldnt coooooount". But we see, in December the biggest month of the year, even if you subtract Wiiplay. Wii still sold more software than the 360, and with a smaller userbase to boot. Theres no spinning that.

And also we see that at 14 months into its lifetime, 360 had sold 7m less units of software than the Wii at this point. Its real easy to see where this gen is going. The 360 can keep its attach rate, its not going to matter. Wii will take #1 this gen in total hardware units sold, and total software units sold eventually.

The fact that the 360 has a library 10x superior in most genres than the Wii makes it even more embarassing. 

Keep in mind that the attach ratio is calculated by the number of sales of games for the month and the number of consoles sold for the month. Because there was a shortage of Wiis, the purchases for previous Wii owners had a bigger impact than they otherwise would.

That said, Nintendo had insane software sales in December and deserves kudos. It's all the more impressive when you consider that the Wii comes with Wii Sports. People could buy the system and it could have an attach ratio of zero and they could still be playing Wii Sports.

What!!?? This can not be right, all people buy the Wii for is Wii sports!!, Well anyway good going Ninty. Nintendomination continues :D

Were there a lot of bundle-required sales in December?
I don't remember seeing a lot.
I just remember seeing people line up for shipments of Toys R Us -- then leaving with game unit -- and games -- in hand.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

This is amazing, Wii is the winner of sales in December

Kyros said:
December was the month where the wii was so supply constraint that you only got it bundled with at least 2 sometimes many more crappy games. Just to put this a bit into perspective .

no, the vast majority of wiis were sold in retail stores, not online...where targets got 150 on one sunday alone, etc etc

the bundles had the crappy games...so all u have to do is look at how high the unbundled games like smg, gh3, wii play, m&s olympics, etc etc ranked to see that it wasn't all bundles that did that

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

"to see that it wasn't all bundles that did that"

I didn't said that it was ALL bundles. But bundles played a part. I wouldn't say how big a part but the attach rate will become meaningful when Nintendo is finally able to meet demand.

It is an interesting way to look at it. It's good that they sold 8.11 times more software then hardware in December but that is to be expected seeing as how the install base is close to 9 million and most wii owners would have picked up a game for Christmas. This should not however be mixed up with actual attach rates which take into account the actual install base.