By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Satoru Iwata implies he may resign if operating income target for next FY is not met

gigantor21 said:

I LIKE FRENCH FOOD

Honestly, I've never liked Reggie all that much. And I feel that a lot of the hype that surrounded him was due to the fact that his boldness and braggadocio dovetailed with the Wii's ascendance and dominance. But he always came off as awkward to me, and now it's tin-eared on top of all that in the wake of Nintendo's slower performance now.

Granted, I'm a PS3/PSP/Vita owner, so I doubt anyone cares what I think of him anyway. :p

No, we don't. Get away from here, now!! *Smacks with Whip*

Around the Network
gigantor21 said:
NintendoPie said:
Hynad said:
NintendoPie said:
I find it hard to believe that Nintendo/Iwata would get rid of him/himself after he gave Nintendo the Wii and DS. Someone other than Iwata needs to go...

I think they need to review their marketing team. Also, Reggie's effect has been declining over the years. His presentations at E3 have been really bad the last 4-5 years. Although he may not be the only one to blame, they do need to get more dynamic and creative in the way they present their products.

I agree. Reggie has been somewhat awkward on stage recently. Especially when he talked to that one Ubisoft guy last year... *shutters*

But I don't know if that is entirely Reggie's fault. Reggie seems to be quite popular among people. Especially with Memes.

BUEEEEEEH I LIKE FRENCH FOOD

Honestly, I've never liked Reggie all that much. And I feel that a lot of the hype that surrounded him was due to the fact that his boldness and braggadocio dovetailed with the Wii's ascendance and dominance. But he always came off as awkward to me, and now it's tin-eared on top of all that in the wake of Nintendo's slower performance now.

Granted, I'm a PS3/PSP/Vita owner, so I doubt anyone cares what I think of him anyway. :p

Just because you're a PS3/PSP/Vita owner doesn't mean you can't appreciate Nintendo or Microsoft, or have anything insightful, constructive or reasonable to say about them. It also doesn't mean that you're a blind fanboy, or that you hate the competition... -_-

Something a lot of people need to learn on these forums.

Hynad said:
gigantor21 said:
NintendoPie said:
Hynad said:
NintendoPie said:
I find it hard to believe that Nintendo/Iwata would get rid of him/himself after he gave Nintendo the Wii and DS. Someone other than Iwata needs to go...

I think they need to review their marketing team. Also, Reggie's effect has been declining over the years. His presentations at E3 have been really bad the last 4-5 years. Although he may not be the only one to blame, they do need to get more dynamic and creative in the way they present their products.

I agree. Reggie has been somewhat awkward on stage recently. Especially when he talked to that one Ubisoft guy last year... *shutters*

But I don't know if that is entirely Reggie's fault. Reggie seems to be quite popular among people. Especially with Memes.

Just because you're a PS3/PSP/Vita owner doesn't mean you can't appreciate Nintendo or Microsoft, or have anything insightful, constructive or reasonable to say about them. It also doesn't mean that you're a blind fanboy, or that you hate the competition... -_-

I'm not holding my breath. It's the internet. *shrug*

Also, I found a link to an article with the actual implications: http://www.cubed3.com/news/18025/1/100-billion-yen-or-satoru-iwata-resigns.html

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
I tend to agree, but that would still mean he's the wrong man for the job, no?

If he doesn't change, then yes, he's the wrong man for the job. But most of the things he did are right, it's just that not keeping the developers in check creates a snowball effect. It alters Nintendo's software output which impacts sales negatively.

The big question is who should run Nintendo as a company, if Iwata were to step down? Someone who is already inside Nintendo might not bring any significant changes. Someone from the outside might make the crazy decision to put Nintendo games on smartphones. Like you said, Nintendo could be managed better. But it also could be a lot worse.

That's exactly what i'm talking about. In Iwata, and game-industry folks from Iwata's generation, you have a rare breed. These are folks like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, who not only have a head for doing the technical stuff required of their business, but remember a time when their business wasn't a business, a humbler time when making computers with your buddies in your garage or making computer games meant that you were a loser.

Now, the computer business is a little different because people are always going to need computers (and they're more tool-like anyway), but people don't need video games, especially full-sized video games like your Grand Theft Autos or Super Marios, or yes, even Pokemon or Call of Duty. The industry can't afford to assume that the market just exists and that they'll buy whatever they sell, and folks like Iwata get that.

On the flip-side, Iwata and his ilk were still developers in their beginning, so they understand the business of making games from the creators' perspective. They know what developers want to do, and what they need to succeed. And from coming from a time where you *had* to make games people really wanted to buy or go find a job in some other industry, they also understand that it's the developers job to make games for the mass market.

People in the game industry don't incorporate both of these qualities anymore, or at least they are very rare. When the video game industry (made by people like Iwata or, say, Trip Hawkins) became a "legitimate" business, it attracted the Money-Men, shortsighted corporate raiders all too common in business; they're the bean-counters, the sequel-makers, those who might be wizard-like in their ability to keep a balance sheet clean in the short run, but fundamentally have no passion or knowledge for the specific business they're in, they're just in "business."

On the flip-side, you have career developers, who just want to make the games they want to make, and treat it like it's the publisher's job to figure out how to make people buy their game, when in reality it's their job to make a game people want to buy.

Imagine Sakamoto or Bobby Kotick running Nintendo, because those are the kinds of people you're going to have to choose between. Someone who would give Nintendo developers complete creative control to make their ideas, however impractical they might be, or someone who will flood the market with cheap Nintendo titles of yesteryear, make it so that no franchise other than Pokemon, Mario, and Mario Kart ever saw the light of day on an actual console, and likely kill off many franchises like Fire Emblem or even Metroid.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

gigantor21 said:
Hynad said:
gigantor21 said:
NintendoPie said:
Hynad said:
NintendoPie said:

Also, I found a link to an article with the actual implications: http://www.cubed3.com/news/18025/1/100-billion-yen-or-satoru-iwata-resigns.html

The article you linked is making a really poorly and loose interpretation of what Iwata said. No where did he imply he'd resign. 

That being said, knowing how business people react to similar situations in Japan, it's not that much of a strech to think he'd end up resigning if those goals aren't met.

Around the Network
osed125 said:
RolStoppable said:
The way I see it, the problem is that Iwata is a too nice guy. He doesn't strike me as the type that pounds his fist on the table and tells his developers to do as he says or otherwise they'll have to look for a new job.

I think that's Miyamoto's job (at least for the projects he works on).

Miyamoto doesn't pounds fists on tables, he upends tables.

Hynad said:
gigantor21 said:
Hynad said:
gigantor21 said:
NintendoPie said:
Hynad said:
NintendoPie said:

The article you linked is making a really poorly and loose interpretation of what Iwata said. No where did he imply he'd resign. 

That being said, knowing how business people react to similar situations in Japan, it's not that much of a strech to think he'd end up resigning if those goals aren't met.

It's loose, I know. But it's still better than the absolute nothing in the OP's link.

I feel that it would have to be a REALLY big miss for him to lose his job, frankly. A vauge reference from an unofficial translation doesn't seem enough reason to worry about his position. I just wanted to post something with the actual context is all.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

I don't necessarily think Iwata should resign, what should happen though is IMO, Nintendo of America should have a new head, someone who actually knows the game industry, understands marketing, and give this person actual power to make decisions as well.

And I mean *real* decisions, as in input on hardware, software projects, marketing philosophy, etc. Not just a glorified stooge that gets to decide which games to localize.

And Iwata should be forced to listen and even in certain cases defer to them.

gigantor21 said:
Hynad said:
gigantor21 said:
Hynad said:
gigantor21 said:
NintendoPie said:
Hynad said:
NintendoPie said:

It's loose, I know. But it's still better than the absolute nothing in the OP's link.

I feel that it would have to be a REALLY big miss for him to lose his job, frankly. A vauge reference from an unofficial translation doesn't seem enough reason to worry about his position. I just wanted to post something with the actual context is all.

It's still an interpretation of an interpretation. Grasping at straws, even. The quotes don't remotely imply that he will resign if those goals aren't met. The quotes only mention his commitment to those goals he set, and an admittance that things aren't the way he wish they'd be. There's nothing more in those quotes.

[Edit:]

After reading the actual Briefing, there is nothing in there that implies he'd resign. Your link actually makes a bigger deal out of what was reported from its source on Neogaf, by saying Iwata was actually adamant about retiring if the company's goals weren't met... Next report from an other random piss poor internet blog will be that he has in fact retired all along and is now nothing but a consultant... ¬_¬

Quotes from the actual briefing:

In terms of our financial results, as Yoshihiro Mori has just explained to you, we were not able to achieve the results that we had originally forecast for this year-end sales season, and since Wii U most recently has not been able to keep its launch momentum, we decided that it was necessary to announce a downward revision to our financial forecast in our net sales and operating profit. I feel deeply responsible for having failed to achieve sufficient results in this most crucial period of the year, the year-end sales season.

The main goal of today’s session is to explain to you our prospects for recovery in the next fiscal year, but before that, 

I would like to talk about how we performed last year in the global video game market.

[...]

As you might already know from some newspaper reports, we will reorganize our development divisions next month for the first time in nine years. Two divisions which have independently developed handheld devices and home consoles will be united to form the Integrated Research & Development Division, which will be headed by Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director.

[...]

As Yoshihiro Mori has already briefed you on our forecast for this fiscal year, you are aware that we cannot help posting operating losses for two consecutive fiscal years. We feel greatly accountable for this severe outlook.

Until now we have always shown you our specific earnings forecast for the next fiscal year at the time of our announcement of the full-year financial results. Under this circumstance, however, I am required to tell you about our prospects for when we will be able to retrieve "Nintendo-like" profits again, so I would like to say something here.

Nothing there suggest that he will resign. 

Soundwave said:
I don't necessarily think Iwata should resign, what should happen though is IMO, Nintendo of America should have a new head, someone who actually knows the game industry, understands marketing, and give this person actual power to make decisions as well.

And I mean *real* decisions, as in input on hardware, software projects, marketing philosophy, etc. Not just a glorified stooge that gets to decide which games to localize.

And Iwata should be forced to listen and even in certain cases defer to them.

Sega was a case study in why what you said is a bad idea.

It sounds good on paper, but history stands on it

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.