By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: EoW Trailer Shows Off Still World, Swordfighter Form

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 6 75.00%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 2 25.00%

Total:8
RolStoppable said:
Ponyless said:
RolStoppable said:
First impressions:

Despite being branded a new game, it feels a lot like a remake. Fight bad guys with sword, bombs and boomerang. You would think that Nintendo would take some risks and change the formula, but it's the same old, same old. Nothing new in terms of story either. Zelda is still the damsel in distress and Ganon is resurrected once again. At least the music is good, but that too feels like something from 20 years ago.

Have you played any of the other handheld zelda games?

Since when is that a requirement to spout bullshit about Nintendo and their games?

I'm not using it to call BS on your impressions, i'm asking if you played the others to see how they compare.

So calm down KylieDog i'm not trying to insult you

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
First impressions:

Despite being branded a new game, it feels a lot like a remake. Fight bad guys with sword, bombs and boomerang. You would think that Nintendo would take some risks and change the formula, but it's the same old, same old. Nothing new in terms of story either. Zelda is still the damsel in distress and Ganon is resurrected once again. At least the music is good, but that too feels like something from 20 years ago.

Well, we kinda knew the combat wasn't that much different... In what way would you like to change the formula? And how's the ratio between puzzles and fighting? I know you had some complaints about there being way too many puzzles, instead of fighting enemies. As far as story goes, I gotta agree with you (even before playing the game); they should shake up that! I think Skyward Sword has one of the best stories for a Zelda game thus far.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

It's November 22, finally!

A Link Between Worlds is now available! Guess I have to update the screenshots in the OP...

I started playing A Link Between Worlds today.

I'll give a few first impressions, but I won't spoil anything. Even the stuff I'll put under spoiler-tags aren't super-spoilery (but rather things that might be more fun finding out yourself). So anyway;

Am about 3 hours in now, and past the first dungeon. First off I agree with Rol that it feels very much like a remake. Naturally, I'm not quite far yet, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt right now. A lot of things remind you about A Link to the Past. Not only the overall lay-out of Hyrule (I haven't seen Lowrule yet, so I don't know how it compares to ALttP's Dark World), but also the music, the enemies and the buildings scattered around the overworld.

Hyrule Castle for example, from what can be visited at the start, is almost exactly the same. The first dungeon also draws a lot of inspiration of A Link to the Past's first dungeon. For some reason I've seen a lot of references to Majora's Mask, like the Mask itself on the wall of your house, the Milk Bar and the bartender there, but I don't know why yet. If an explanation will ever come anyway. Until now, I haven't yet seen anything that's outside of the regular Zelda formula, though I've already gotten a lot more items than usual. I know you're supposed to be able to rent your items at some point, but until now it's just like it always was; can't rent anything yet. The game starts by setting up the story and getting the sword and before you know it you're off to the first dungeon. This game does do it quite fast though, it's probably the shortest intro since Ocarina of Time. That first dungeon had already some original puzzles though, but nothing too fancy yet. It's a good start in any case and I think that bodes well for the other dungeons in the game. I've played around with the wall-merging ability some, and I think some puzzles involving that ability will get quite complicated since the first ones already required some out-of-the-box thinking, so I'm excited to see what's next. You don't have the ability right away, you get it at the end of the first dungeon, and when you get it the game introduces the villain in quite a spectacular way. So I'm satisfied by the story until now, even though any Zelda's story gets a tad predictible by now.

I need to get used to the music still, probably because the original's in my head, but I like how it looks. As seems like tradition on 3DS now, screenshots and videos do not do the game justice. It's actually quite crisp and balanced looking (on an original 3DS anyway). The 3D effect is superb. I know the 2DS was probably the thing that catapulted sales in the last couple of weeks, but this game needs to be played in 3D. The 3D effect makes the world feel a lot more 'alive' and the height differences are easily visible. I especially like how for instance things that jump seem to pop out of the screen. Without the 3D, everything is naturally flat looking and height differences is a lot harder to correctly make out. This makes the platforming elements a lot harder.

All-in-all I know already that it's not going to beat my most favorite handheld title (Link's Awakening) due a slight lack of originality until now, but I think it's promising enough. It at least won't be my least favorite one either!

Veknoid_Outcast said:
S.Peelman said:
Yes.

Thank you retailers who let you pick up pre-orders a day early. Got A Link Between Worlds this afternoon. Sadly it's late now though... Should I play or should I not (and play tomorrow )...

Give us your impressions when you do! 

Got an email from GameStop telling me my 3DS XL is on the way :)

You asked, I delivered .

And I'm jealous at your 3DSXL of course .

Around the Network

Got it, yet to play. Been fairly busy. Ill start tonight.

DanneSandin said:
RolStoppable said:
First impressions:

Well, we kinda knew the combat wasn't that much different... In what way would you like to change the formula? And how's the ratio between puzzles and fighting? I know you had some complaints about there being way too many puzzles, instead of fighting enemies. As far as story goes, I gotta agree with you (even before playing the game); they should shake up that! I think Skyward Sword has one of the best stories for a Zelda game thus far.

It was a jokepost, DanneSandin:p

I would also like to address those people still on the fence about this game after seeing all those blurry, pixelated footage from review sites. This is how it Actually looks when playing ALBW. Only in 60fps, something youtube cant capture. 

RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

First off I agree with Rol that it feels very much like a remake.

You are a tool.

A sequel that is set in the same world will obviously have a lot of the same locations. But did anyone ever call games like Final Fantasy X-2, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World or Baten Kaitos Origins remakes? No, because they hadn't drunk the Nintendo haterade and those weren't Nintendo games.

Hehe. Nice response.

I already wasn't completely sure whether or not that statement of yours was serious, but I accepted it because it's a sentiment I agreed with regardless. One can't ignore that the start of the game is a lot like A Link to the Past: Start in the same house, go to the castle, get sword from someone who can't use it anymore, take underground passage to the sanctuary, get told by the same old man what to do and proceed to get three pendants before you'll get the Master Sword from the Lost Woods. Really the only thing that's not the same is that Zelda gets to stay in the castle.

S.Peelman said:
RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

First off I agree with Rol that it feels very much like a remake.

You are a tool.

A sequel that is set in the same world will obviously have a lot of the same locations. But did anyone ever call games like Final Fantasy X-2, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World or Baten Kaitos Origins remakes? No, because they hadn't drunk the Nintendo haterade and those weren't Nintendo games.

Hehe. Nice response.

I already wasn't completely sure whether or not that statement of yours was serious, but I accepted it because it's a sentiment I agreed with regardless. One can't ignore that the start of the game is a lot like A Link to the Past: Start in the same house, go to the castle, get sword from someone who can't use it anymore, take underground passage to the sanctuary, get told by the same old man what to do and proceed to get three pendants before you'll get the Master Sword from the Lost Woods. Really the only thing that's not the same is that Zelda gets to stay in the castle.

I, for one, love how this game play to your expectations in the beginning of the game and BOOM! Mindfuck. Its great!