By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: EoW Trailer Shows Off Still World, Swordfighter Form

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 6 75.00%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 2 25.00%

Total:8

I'd actually like to experience a new 2D Zelda, because I've never played one before.

Never really played any of the 2D Nintendo games expect Mario.

(Hope to solve that with Super Metroid and A LTTP if it ever comes)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

I want a 3D Zelda for my home console and a 2D Zelda for the handheld... that would be neat

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I don't really care for what kind of Zelda we will get, but I would prefer 3D.
I'm more interested in what the story will be and what timeline it will fit.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

While I am eagerly anticipating a glorious new 3D Zelda for Wii U, gorgeous and epic as it's sure to be (and I REALLY wish/hope that they stick to the Ocarina/Twilight Princess art style), and as amazing and fun as I'm sure that game will be. I really must say I would love to see a new 2D SPRITE BASED classic styled Zelda. Not made by Capcom or some other developer, but by Nintendo themselves. In fact, I'm probably in the miniority, but I'd even love to see another Zelda II styled game. That game was always highly underrated and for it's time it was very ambitious, with it's scope and battle mechanics (of actually having to strike and block properly). But Link's Awakening has always been my fav. 2D Zelda, so something in THAT style would be amazing.

3D Zelda no question.

Around the Network

2D Zelda. Normally they put a lot more content in 2D Zelda games than 3D ones.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

DevilRising said:
While I am eagerly anticipating a glorious new 3D Zelda for Wii U, gorgeous and epic as it's sure to be (and I REALLY wish/hope that they stick to the Ocarina/Twilight Princess art style), and as amazing and fun as I'm sure that game will be. I really must say I would love to see a new 2D SPRITE BASED classic styled Zelda. Not made by Capcom or some other developer, but by Nintendo themselves. In fact, I'm probably in the miniority, but I'd even love to see another Zelda II styled game. That game was always highly underrated and for it's time it was very ambitious, with it's scope and battle mechanics (of actually having to strike and block properly). But Link's Awakening has always been my fav. 2D Zelda, so something in THAT style would be amazing.

Now that is an interesting idea.

I'm not crazy about Zelda II -- I'd rank it second to last -- but it's still a really good game. I don't know if fans would go for it, but it would be a fun experiment.

Not going to happen. It will be 3D, like it should. The era of 2D Zelda is over.

They'll likely use the Ocarina 3D engine as a base, but it'll look noticeably different from it. Perhaps not as much as Wind Waker and TP (they use the same engine), but different enough. I personally do not care what style they use on the 3DS, as they as they use the realistic look for the WiiU title.

Zelda is a series Nintendo primarily uses to show off what their technology can do, that means it will be top notch for whatever system it releases on. This is true for every Zelda title to date. They can't afford to have a 2D Zelda on 3DS, it'll affect their and the series' image. This is especially true if they would go sprite-based, they really can't sell that next to Super Mario 3D Land (or Ocarina of Time 3D), as the new Zelda game's production value would seem extremely low in comparison and in would in no way play to the strenghts of the console.

At the absolute most, they can go '2.5D' like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but I don't see that happening either. The only reason they did that on DS was so that they could implement the Stylus controls in an effective way. That's impossible now (because the touchscreen isn't 3D), so there wouldn't be a point to do in this style!

No, 3D Zelda it's going to be.

S.Peelman said:
Not going to happen. It will be 3D, like it should. The era of 2D Zelda is over.

They'll likely use the Ocarina 3D engine as a base, but it'll look noticeably different from it. Perhaps not as much as Wind Waker and TP (they use the same engine), but different enough. I personally do not care what style they use on the 3DS, as they as they use the realistic look for the WiiU title.

Zelda is a series Nintendo primarily uses to show off what their technology can do, that means it will be top notch for whatever system it releases on. This is true for every Zelda title to date. They can't afford to have a 2D Zelda on 3DS, it'll affect their and the series' image. This is especially true if they would go sprite-based, they really can't sell that next to Super Mario 3D Land (or Ocarina of Time 3D), as the new Zelda game's production value would seem extremely low in comparison and in would in no way play to the strenghts of the console.

At the absolute most, they can go '2.5D' like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but I don't see that happening either. The only reason they did that on DS was so that they could implement the Stylus controls in an effective way. That's impossible now (because the touchscreen isn't 3D), so there wouldn't be a point to do in this style!

No, 3D Zelda it's going to be.

Very good points.

Still, I hope the era of 2D Zelda isn't over for good. The 2D platform game is still alive and well, thanks in large part to Nintendo, so I'm hopeful top-down 2D action-adventure games will stay healthy too.

I could go for a 2D Zelda on the 3DS. I think if they went in that direction on Wii U, we'd see a larger negative reaction than the reaction we saw to the initial Wind Waker reveal.

On 3DS, I don't see that reaction happening.

VGChartz