By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: Nintendo Announces TLOZ: Echoes of Wisdom

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 3 75.00%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 1 25.00%

Total:4

An HD remake of my favorite Zelda game of all time?
YES, PLEASE!!!

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

How do you get to 10 dungeons in MM? It really only has 5, 6 I guess because you could count Ikana Castle. For 10, you’d need to at least count Pirate Fortress and Deku Palace which I’d say are sketchy to count, then you can count Lanayru Desert or some other puzzle area in Skyward Sword. Then you’re at 8. So the last two are the Skulltula Houses? Those aren’t dungeons as far as I’m concerned. Wind Waker at 9 is also being generous

Yeah I've no idea where those numbers came from. Zelda dungeons per game as far as I know are

TLoZ - 9
AoL - 7
ALttP - 12
LA - 8
OoT - 9
MM - 4
OoA - 8
OoS - 8
WW - 7
MC - 6, I think? Don't remember.
TP - 9
PH - Don't remember this one either. Was it 8?
ST - 7 if I recall correctly.
SS - 7
ALBW - 12
BotW - 5 (6 with DLC)

Seems right, I counted the Moon for MM but yeah it’s not really an end-dungeon like Ganon’s Castle or others. Don’t remember about PH either lol, I only played through it once back in 2007, and just remember it being not very memorable. I assume it’s similar to ST.

Could just check the Zeldawiki but too lazy.

SS is good game, I liked that outside of dungeons there was lot of areas that had puzzly feel to it as well.
Sure, it has its problems, and as with all previous 3D Zeldas it lacked more open exploration (I'm proponent of idea that Zelda would be best as semi-open world), but it was not only thoroughly enjoyable game, but (brace for unpopluar opinion) I came to appreciate it more due to how much I felt BotW was lacking in stucture and unique content.

I'd be really interested in Skyward Sword HD. I thought it had beautiful visuals, a stunning soundtrack, a superb narrative, some very memorable characters, excellent dungeons and some really fun boss-fights. On the downside, there was too much repetition of content, far too much hand-holding, some really poor/boring mechanics (dowsing! the harp), and off-pacing.

I expect a HD remaster won't be able to make drastic changes, such as an option for 'traditional' controls, because too much of the game - whether it's combat, items or puzzles - are built around motion controls. With a game like Skyward Sword, it has to be about trimming the fat. I'd hope for better lighting and textures along side the resolution bump; an option to play in 'veteran' mode, which reduces the length of the tutorial (I don't need an explanation of how to pick things up, Z-target or auto-jump, Nintendo), removes the hint videos, and drastically reduces Fi's hand-holding; dowsing to be removed and 'find x item' segments made shorter, e.g. have fewer collectibles in the Silent Realm, have fewer notes to collect in the flooded Faron woods section; collectible reminders removed (I know what a blue rupee is, dammit); the second Imprisoned fight removed (the first one is an introduction to it, the third is actually interesting); the harp controls modified so it's not utter garbage.

It looks a lot, but it's nips & tucks rather than the complete overhaul traditional controls would require. I think with the fat trimmed, Skyward Sword could find an appreciative audience. That being said, motion controls and the fact it's the last Zelda in the 'Ocarina' mold means SS will always struggle in terms of its reception. It has some real high points and makes for a great linear adventure, but there are so many obtuse wrinkles and fluff that simply don't need to be there. Hopefully Nintendo (or whoever has handled this, if it's real) take the time to cut down on the fluff.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but am I the only one who thought that Skyward Sword was kinda meh graphically, even by Wii standards?

It had a few nice touches, like some nice looking water and the watercolour filter for distant scenery, but I felt they could've done a lot more in terms of shaders and effects.

Like, games like Metroid Prime 3, Conduit 1 & 2, and Red Steel 2 look much better technically.

Asriel said:
I'd be really interested in Skyward Sword HD. I thought it had beautiful visuals, a stunning soundtrack, a superb narrative, some very memorable characters, excellent dungeons and some really fun boss-fights. On the downside, there was too much repetition of content, far too much hand-holding, some really poor/boring mechanics (dowsing! the harp), and off-pacing.

I expect a HD remaster won't be able to make drastic changes, such as an option for 'traditional' controls, because too much of the game - whether it's combat, items or puzzles - are built around motion controls. With a game like Skyward Sword, it has to be about trimming the fat. I'd hope for better lighting and textures along side the resolution bump; an option to play in 'veteran' mode, which reduces the length of the tutorial (I don't need an explanation of how to pick things up, Z-target or auto-jump, Nintendo), removes the hint videos, and drastically reduces Fi's hand-holding; dowsing to be removed and 'find x item' segments made shorter, e.g. have fewer collectibles in the Silent Realm, have fewer notes to collect in the flooded Faron woods section; collectible reminders removed (I know what a blue rupee is, dammit); the second Imprisoned fight removed (the first one is an introduction to it, the third is actually interesting); the harp controls modified so it's not utter garbage.

It looks a lot, but it's nips & tucks rather than the complete overhaul traditional controls would require. I think with the fat trimmed, Skyward Sword could find an appreciative audience. That being said, motion controls and the fact it's the last Zelda in the 'Ocarina' mold means SS will always struggle in terms of its reception. It has some real high points and makes for a great linear adventure, but there are so many obtuse wrinkles and fluff that simply don't need to be there. Hopefully Nintendo (or whoever has handled this, if it's real) take the time to cut down on the fluff.

Reducing the handholding (Just cut out Fi's stating the obvious moments and stop reminding us what an item is every time we pick it up after resuming play) and cutting the second Imprisoned fight would help a lot. I didn't think dowsing was bad though.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but am I the only one who thought that Skyward Sword was kinda meh graphically, even by Wii standards?

It had a few nice touches, like some nice looking water and the watercolour filter for distant scenery, but I felt they could've done a lot more in terms of shaders and effects.

SS really suffered due to Wii's low resolution - jump bumping that in Dolphin is doing wonders for it.  This is with HD textures and somewhat better lighting:

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

SS really suffered due to Wii's low resolution - jump bumping that in Dolphin is doing wonders for it.  This is with HD textures and somewhat better lighting:

I feel like even accounting for the 480p ceiling there are other Wii games that look a lot better than SS.

Hopefully any remake would do a full graphical overhaul a la Wind Waker HD.

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

I feel like even accounting for the 480p ceiling there are other Wii games that look a lot better than SS.

Yeah, I agree that there are better looking games, I just think specific choice of art style in SS (inspired by Monet) translated very poorly to such a low resolution.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, I agree that there are better looking games, I just think specific choice of art style in SS (inspired by Monet) translated very poorly to such a low resolution.

I feel like it could've looked better if they'd kept the watercolour look but just used more in the way of eye-catching effects the way games like Prime 3 or the Mario Galaxy games do. As it is it just looks really plain and barren.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I feel like it could've looked better if they'd kept the watercolour look but just used more in the way of eye-catching effects the way games like Prime 3 or the Mario Galaxy games do. As it is it just looks really plain and barren.

Eh, it's a matter of preference. Personally I like the look of Skyward Sword much better than Prime 3. In fact I'm not sure I like Prime 3's look more than even its own predecessors, I felt like the blur was way overdone sometimes.

For what was to be the final flagship Wii game I just feel like they could've put more effort in technically. It kinda looks like a Gamecube game.