By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 6 24.00%

A Link to the Past 10 40.00%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 3 12.00%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 16.00%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.00%

Other 1 4.00%

Total:25
spurgeonryan said:
Good stuff. The bike will be awesome!

I watched the trailer and was thinking "bike ... what the fuck is Spurge smoking" They had me fooled, i thought it was over.

Around the Network

Lol.. so the bike concept art wasn't so farfetched afterall...

I had no plans to get any BotW DLC, but now I'm a little tempted.

Was going to play something else right now, but then I watched the trailer above and literally thought "F* that, getting my Gamepad".

How to make your own Korok mask!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXToaUYuyEg

Around the Network

So I was just randomly looking around on the internet when I case across this;

Anyone ever notice that before? That's mindblowing detail. O.O

Happy new year!

The fine folks at Source Gaming published a translation of the newest The Legend of Zelda book: Master Works.

Some excerpts:

“Why does the art style change for each game in the Zelda series?” That’s a question many have probably considered. It’s the result of trial and error during the development of each title to figure out what would best make the world feel like something players would be excited to adventure in. The conclusion was to marry the believability of the world with playability – this would help them satisfy the goal of “rethinking the conventions of Zelda” and creating an art style that could be considered the definitive standard for Zelda. This lead to things such as the “comical” effect of tree wood magically “poofing” into bundles of wood – anything more realistic would feel like a waste of time for the player. 

--Art Director Satoru Takizawa

There were ideas that didn’t get implemented, but have been left in the game in some form – such as the reason the Yiga clan’s mark is the reverse of the Sheikah symbol, or the fact that the King of Hyrule is dead- but then how did he die? He had even come up with very detailed backgrounds for the Heroes during development, but it wasn’t until DLC2 where they actually had the opportunity to include that.

--Director Hidemaro Fujibayashi

Aonuma-san admits he was the one to give the order that BotW would rethink just what Zelda’s conventions are and what it should be. One of the reasons for that was how players would say, “I want to know what’s in between the different areas.” in relation to the ground world Link jumps down to in Skyward Sword. Even though they had always created Zelda with the goal of creating a vast world to adventure in, more and more they became bound by things that “Zelda is supposed to have”. So he said, “Let’s throw away any thoughts we have of what Zelda is supposed to be.” What the team delivered, though, went beyond even his expectations.

--Producer Eiji Aonuma

Source

That first part is half of what makes Zelda great. It's uniqueness. Every game feels new, even those that followed a formula from a previous game. Put screenshots of all 16 Zelda games next to each other and you instantly know which is which. You'll have a collection of 16 vastly different screenshots. I can't think of many series that have that.

I hope the series sticks with cel shaded art directions as they bring the series to life the most imo, BOTW's mixed Ghibli like style is my favourite for the franchise.