By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What direction will Nintendo take Mario Kart U?

Tagged games:

How would you make Mario Kart U?

Try something weird and d... 42 37.17%

Make the same game as Sega but better. 4 3.54%

Iterate from MK7 & Wii and ignore Sega. 24 21.24%

Add 2-GamePad support for... 13 11.50%

Add more transformations!... 6 5.31%

Take transformations out ... 10 8.85%

Nintendo is doomed, Wii U... 14 12.39%

Total:113

They should go with hover cars, up the speed significantly, insanely hard tracks, techno soundtrack, incredible online multiplayer and have captain falcon as a playable character

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
6 player local is a must, Nintendo are morons if they don't include this.

I'll say this as well; I deeply hope that Retro studios aren't making it, it would be a phenomenal waste of their talent.

Not necessarily. I mean, I'd love to see them working on some legacy franchises like Metroid, Starfox or another Donkey Kong but in the end Mario Kart is always one of the games I play the most on every Nintendo system, even considered its production values are often underwhelming. To be honest if, for instance, they manage to combine addicting mutliplayer gameplay with higher production standards and more content (more like Smash Bros), then I would say it isn't a waste of talent.

freebs2 said:
curl-6 said:

I'll say this as well; I deeply hope that Retro studios aren't making it, it would be a phenomenal waste of their talent.

Not necessarily. I mean, I'd love to see them working on some legacy franchises like Metroid, Starfox or another Donkey Kong but in the end Mario Kart is always one of the games I play the most on every Nintendo system, even considered its production values are often underwhelming. To be honest if, for instance, they manage to combine addicting mutliplayer gameplay with higher production standards and more content (more like Smash Bros), then I would say it isn't a waste of talent.

Mario Kart is too restricted for Retro, the expectatations people have of Mario Kart and it's enomous sales power mean Retro won't have the freedom to make the bold design choices that made games like Metroid Prime and DKCR so great. They'll be handcuffed to the already successful formula.

To me, it would be like getting Michaelangelo to paint a portrait instead of the roof of the sistine chapel.

No, they should do exactly what I said. Focus on balance and depth, instead of gimmicks. Pure gameplay, like SMK, MK64 and MKDS.

SwansVanTerif said:
No, they should do exactly what I said. Focus on balance and depth, instead of gimmicks. Pure gameplay, like SMK, MK64 and MKDS.

Depth and balance I agree on, but what gimmick did MKWii have?

I'd also argue that SMK and MK64 had some serious shortcomings (mostly design choices unacceptable by today's standards) that I'd like to see absent from MKWiiU.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I feel you!

Sonic and sega all stars racing is one amazing game, but due to the difficulty it isnt casual friendly at all. Nintendo doesnt really need to wow to sell more than that did. With that said, i never bought a mario kart, so they would need to impress me to get me interested.

Aielyn said:
bananaking21 said:
i dont think they will do alot of stuff with the controller. people buy mario kart to play 4 play split screen, if they give a lot of features to that one person who is holding the tablet and leave the others who are playing with other controllers that wouldnt be a good call

Depends on how they do it.

If the player with the Upad is playing it differently - that is, if their goal is different from that of the other racers, then it would work quite well.

For instance, what if the Upad player has the goal of preventing the other four from winning, and can do things like take control of any of the computer characters, manipulate track features, etc? Basically, the Upad player becomes the malevolent game AI, doing everything it can to destroy the other players. Of course, on the flipside, the Upad player could be a supporting player, helping the regular players to defeat the computer, too.

that doesnt really sound like fun.... it seems like the guy with the Upad will never win, he will just make others lose

bananaking21 said:
that doesnt really sound like fun.... it seems like the guy with the Upad will never win, he will just make others lose

It all depends on your perspective. The player with the Upad wins by beating the other players using one of the 'computer' opponents.

Aielyn said:
bananaking21 said:

It all depends on your perspective. The player with the Upad wins by beating the other players using one of the 'computer' opponents.

ill guess we will have to wait and see how mario kart comes out