By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does a games box art really help its sales?

Does a game's box art really help its sales?

Yes 70 85.37%

No 12 14.63%

Total:82

Yes, I remember buying Resistance Fall of Man with my Ps3 because I thought the cover looked cool.

Around the Network

For people that now nothing about the game, I think the box art and the back cover are really important. It's sort of like the saying "you eat with your eyes first". If the box art doesn't make the game look interesting then people will most likely put it back on the shelve. This is why I really don't care what box art some developers choose to have for their game. I already know if I'm interested in a game or not, the box art doesn't seal the deal for me.

I think it must do whether people realise it or not. Which is why so much time goes into coming up with the ideas and also doing different box art in different places such as America and Asia gettin different art styles as different things appeal to the general public in these places.

It certainly does hurt at times. Look at this travesty. Two friends ended up skipping on this and getting the regular version. I guess it didn't hurt overall sales. There was recent debate with Bioshock Infinite box art going generic gun dude. I totally understand though. An average person would prefer that over being really confused with big daddy featuring box arts from previous games.

green_sky said:

It certainly does hurt at times. Look at this travesty. Two friends ended up skipping on this and getting the regular version. I guess it didn't hurt overall sales. There was recent debate with Bioshock Infinite box art going generic gun dude. I totally understand though. An average person would prefer that over being really confused with big daddy featuring box arts from previous games.

Seriously why the hell did they think that was a good box art? Those reviews should have been on the back of the box not the front and even if they put them on the back there should have been only 1-2 not 3+

Around the Network
LinkVPit said:
Is it me or all them covers basically the same?

Man walking holding weapon.

there all pretty much the same, and seeing that picture is what made me do this thread actually. do box art really need to be that generic ?

riderz13371 said:

Seriously why the hell did they think that was a good box art? Those reviews should have been on the back of the box not the front and even if they put them on the back there should have been only 1-2 not 3+

Probably had one big brain fart or just trolling fans. Can't think of anything else. 

Majora said:

I think it must do whether people realise it or not. Which is why so much time goes into coming up with the ideas and also doing different box art in different places such as America and Asia gettin different art styles as different things appeal to the general public in these places.

this makes alot of sense, didnt think of that

Why do you think New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold so much?

Red is an emotive color, and also influences people to buy more stuff. Just look at Macy's.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
Why do you think New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold so much?

Red is an emotive color, and also influences people to buy more stuff. Just look at Macy's.

because it has Mario....