By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Developer SuperBot Lays Off Around 20 Employees

osed125 said:

Tim Schafer says it best:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179980/Tim_Schafer_Stop_laying_off_your_employees_once_a_game_is_done.php#.UQLxJ7_AeFA

This is not just in the gaming business. They do it everywhere after a big project is finished

Around the Network

SuperBot is a small studio which got the chance to work on a big game for Sony. They had to expand in order to reach the deadline imposed by Sony.

Now that the game is finished, they have no reason to keep a crew this size anymore. Something normal in the game industry, but means SuperBot doesn't have another project in the horizon for now.

riderz13371 said:
NintendoPie said:
It obviously has something to do with PSASBR. It's not because they just want to downsize.

Though, this is sad. It's not good that any studio is laying off employees. But at least they aren't THQ.

I don't think it has to do with PSASBR - They were hiring a couple of weeks ago. Probably just some people who were on the job temporarily.

Temps don't get laid off.  They're assignment just ends.

Kenology said:
riderz13371 said:
NintendoPie said:
It obviously has something to do with PSASBR. It's not because they just want to downsize.

Though, this is sad. It's not good that any studio is laying off employees. But at least they aren't THQ.

I don't think it has to do with PSASBR - They were hiring a couple of weeks ago. Probably just some people who were on the job temporarily.

Like I said, they were hiring like 2-3 weeks ago so maybe they're just getting rid of some people who didn't perform up to their standards.

riderz13371 said:
Kenology said:
riderz13371 said:
NintendoPie said:

Like I said, they were hiring like 2-3 weeks ago so maybe they're just getting rid of some people who didn't perform up to their standards.

If that makes you feel better, go ahead and believe that.

It's far more plausible that this is a result of PASBR not performing as well as we would've hoped.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
riderz13371 said:
Kenology said:
riderz13371 said:
NintendoPie said:

If that makes you feel better, go ahead and believe that.

It's far more plausible that this is a result of PASBR not performing as well as we would've hoped.

Maybe it performed to Sony's expectations. Do you know the budget for the game? Do you know the digital sales for the game? Just because we "hoped" that the game would sell millions of copies doesn't mean it's failed in Sony's eyes. 

Because they need the whole team for the DLC.... Riiiight.

This is not a doom sign, this is quite normal.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Rafux said:
I hope they get rid of the guy who made the net code, can't play this online.

This.  The online is complete garbage, and even though I like the game unbalanced as it is, the online makes it unplayable.  What's sad is that the online was far better during 1.01.  1.03 made it kick players off 2v2 matches constantly, and after 1.05 I haven't played one four player match where there wasn't some sort of game breaking latency.

If the all we have to look forward to Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 2 is some of the worst balancing in fighting game history and more laggy online, I'd say Sony should get rid of the entire studio.  Give the franchise to one of their better developers.  I originally praised the game, but as I got better with more characters, the more balancing issues I saw, the more I saw that a lot of characters couldn't do anything to certain characters.  For developers hand picked for their fighting game experience and the fact that this game has been developed for two years, it amazes me that they could push out something as crappy as this.  These "hand picked fighting game experts" must have rode the coattails of someone else and happened to get a lot of the credit for it.

kupomogli said:
Rafux said:
I hope they get rid of the guy who made the net code, can't play this online.

What's sad is that the online was far better during 1.01.  1.03 made it kick players off 2v2 matches constantly, and after 1.05 I haven't played one four player match where there wasn't some sort of game breaking latency.

You know, now that you mention it... the online has been shitty since the last update. Lag is killing the fun I used to have with this game

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Hopefully those people find jobs somewhere else soon. We really dont know why they got laid off so I hope people arent jumping to conclusions but never act like it is a good thing when people lose there jobs. I respect developers even if i think their games are mediocre.