By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 will be this generation's best-selling US console - DFC

pezus said:
dahuman said:

7th gen has already passed when the Wii U came out, it's already the 8th gen, so uh..... Title change perhapes?

That's what sales2099 would say

at least I'm not off somewhere sprouting new counter threads like I'm sure some people will start to do really soon. Like "PS3 will be X generation's best-selling Euro console!" or "Wii will be X generation's best-selling Japan console!" hmmmm..... now that I think about it, who cares about the 360 being the best selling US console? Is that really something to brag about considering that it doesn't have the world?

Around the Network
pezus said:
KHlover said:
pezus said:
KHlover said:
dahuman said:

7th gen has already passed when the Wii U came out, it's already the 8th gen, so uh..... Title change perhapes?

Let's try not to start this discussion again. While I agree with you many users on here don't, for whatever reason...

@topic: That's nice I guess. But if the 360 dies as fast as the original Xbox when the Nextbox releases the Wii probably will overtake the 360 again by 2014/2015.

Not even a slight chance of that happening. Wii is dying a lot faster than 360, and will not last as long on shelves as 360 in USA. 

Seems like I can't see Xbox numbers on VGChartz. But all I heared about the original Xbox was that it dropped like a stone after the release of the 360. Wii seems to degrade slower.

That's because Xbox was a flop and 360 isn't. Xbox wasn't that big of a flop in USA per se, but game support pretty much died. That's not going to happen to 360 until next year perhaps. It has already happened to Wii.

Ah, thanks for the info. Not that it really matters what console sold marginally better since both consoles did very well^^

Yeah but when it does pass the wii it will not matter......

Just kidding of course it matters, quite a feat to do this. Or quite a blunder from nintendo.

pezus said:
kowenicki said:

Incorrent. It is because the xbox was discontinued.  Pretty hard to buy a console that isnt on sale.

It's not incorrect. What was the reason for it being discontinued? 

It's been a while but as I recall: MS in their inexperience in the console business, brokered a bad deal on the NVIDIA graphics chips they were using, leading to a high-overhead on the parts of the orignal XBOX.  This situation, on top of the fact that the PS2 was dominating the market at that time led to it's early demise.  I'm not saying that the XBOX was storming the charts, but to suggest that there was zero demand for the XBOX in either the US or European markets is fallacious, there were other factors at play.

The situation is reversed now though: in the US the demand for the 360 is still relatively high and it is very likely that a reduced priced 360 will continue to sell well into the life of the 360's predecessor.  Microsoft's "ten-year" plan, so to speak.