By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: New Sonic game to be announced next month for all consoles( including PS4,720) 20 stages and 10 playable characters.

Rumor: Sega to announce new Sonic game next month
Source claims multiple exits per stage, 10 characters.
January 23, 2013 / 09:42 PM EST / Sal Romano (@salromano)

A new Sonic game will be announced in mid-February, according to Sonic Stadium “sources close to Sega.” 

The game, whose name is apparently not yet finalized, will follow the full 3D to side-scrolling 2D switch mechanics demonstrated in Sonic Unleashed, Colors, and Generations, according to the source. It will be released for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, PS Vita, and 3DS, as well as “next-gen” consoles.

The console, PC, and PS Vita versions are said to feature the same content, while the 3DS version will be “another Sonic Rush styled game.”

Stages are said to feature multiple routes, with each route leading to different exits that take you to different stages. The developers are aiming to include at least 20 stages, excluding boss battles, claims the source. The last stage of the game will always be the same.

Players will reportedly start the game with Sonic and unlock additional characters by completing stages. “Altogether we’re looking at about 10 different characters to play with,” said the source. “And no, Sonic isn’t getting any new friends. All of the playable characters will be existing Sonic characters.”

Each character is said to have their own skills “to help them progress in stages easier where others will have more difficulty.” For example, Sonic and Shadow may not easily be able to make it up a wall, but Tails can fly and Knuckles can climb, allowing them access to an exit that the two hedgehogs can’t reach.

The 3DS version will be “similar in idea, but smaller in scope,” says the source. It will feature fewer stages, still with multiple paths, but there doesn’t seem to be more than two branches per stage.

This new Sonic, said to be in development since before Sonic Generations was released, will launch this fall the earliest, or winter the latest, the source ends.

Salt

Remember, this is just a rumor, so take it lightly. Sonic Stadium claims to have verified its sources as best as possible. If this is announced next month, you’ll see it here.

Around the Network

It would not be shocking. Since 2010 in celebration of hedgehog/groundhog day SEGA announces its next Sonic game. Sonic fandom has come to the conclusion that each character will play like sonic with their own abilities like the classic's

If it is the Generations folks behind it sign me up, that was a truly great Sonic game.

Multiple routes with hidden exits leading to different stages, eh?

Sounds awesome. Not native to Sonic, but awesome.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'd love it if they did a Sonic game that was structured the way most 2D and 3D Mario games are with an overworld where you can access different levels and areas in non-linear fashion and replay ones you've already completed as well. I haven't played much of the modern Sonic games, I just remember the classic 2D games, and the one thing that always bugged me about them was that as platformers like Mario and DKC evolved the genre, the Sonic games stuck stubbornly to the "beat the game in one sitting or die trying" structure.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Whoops, sorry didn't mean to make a new thread, I didn't notice this one. Yeah i'm excited and hopefully it's true, I think it's a bit odd that the 3DS version was mentioned to be so different.

As long as the quality is up there with Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors...bring it on.

UnitSmiley said:
Whoops, sorry didn't mean to make a new thread, I didn't notice this one. Yeah i'm excited and hopefully it's true, I think it's a bit odd that the 3DS version was mentioned to be so different.

It shouldn't be. Every handheld version of a home console Sonic game is always different.

Xxain said:
UnitSmiley said:

It shouldn't be. Every handheld version of a home console Sonic game is always different.

I don't have a lot of experience with the handheld versions, but what I read was that the Vita version is going to be pretty similar to the others with a few minor graphical differences. I know the 3DS isn't quite as powerful, but it sounds like the 3DS version is going to be underwhelming compared to the other versions. At least that's how i'm picking it up as.

This will be the first Sonic game I purchase since.... a very long time. Only because it's available on the Vita.

If it looks interesting, anyway.

4 ≈ One