By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The winner for hardware revenue in December is.....Sony

^rol why so sad..also why did you get banned?

Around the Network

Jandre am cry!!!

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

The thing that concerns me most here is not the spin Sony is putting on the situation, but how any legitimate criticism of Sony is automatically considered Nintendo fanboyism.

(I guess the same happens when there is a legitimate criticism of Nintendo or MS, but I see it much less frequently)

People need to suck it up and take valid criticism of the box of electronics you hold so dear. None of the consoles are perfect, and all of them deserve critism. And Sony definitely deserves it for this ouright spining.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Griffin said:

I'm talking about home consoles, not handhelds.

Y'know if Sony fans want to stop getting mocked for cherrypicking stats (Oh the PS home console family SDFTM sold more than the Nintendo home console family in software...) they really should... I dunno STOP!

Please sit down Griffin.  You must be getting dizzy from all that spinning. 

Played_Out said:
mmnin said:
I can't believe that you made a topic like this on a forum that is known for its user knowledge on the meaning of sales and numbers in this industry.

He didn't. He made it on VGchartz.

People here seem to think that knowing the difference between revenue and profit gives them an understanding of economics. Most people here have probably never even heard of Adam Smith, much less read his work.

And to those flaming Sony for their spin-doctoring: what did you expect? That a company would highlight the numbers that suggest they are doing badly? And you call the OP dumb!

Profits are obviously what is needed to appease shareholders, but there are many industries with high revenues that sustain frequent losses (e.g. Hollywood studios, football clubs). Even though they are incurring heavy losses, an increase in cashflow through the business is good for a company like Sony. Is revenue as important as profit or units sold? No. Is it still worth pointing out? Yes.

You expect many people to read through two books that are both just shy of 1,000 pages? Hell i've only read one of em and I like economics.

Adam Smith's work is all just the basics now anyway. Economics have become way more complicated. You definitly don't have to read Adam Smith to have a firm grip of economics. There are plenty of other things that can get you the same amount of information in half the pages.

A Wealth of Nations is more for economics enthusiasts now a days than it is people who want to do it for a living.

People are calling the OP dumb because he's making pointless and outright wrong deductions from data that's heavily spinned.

Around the Network

The amount of fail in this thread is epic.

Gazz said:

This topic is about Sony making the best revenue off all manufacturers and with a high revenue they make the best chance of making a bit of profit. The PSP and PS2 both sold 1.1 million units each and with that they make up a lot for the (potential?) loss on the PS3 which sold 798K on it's own according to the article.

Like I said before, perhaps my numbers are way off but they atleast leave room for discussion and show I put effort into my reply instead of: Revenue minus more costs we automaticly assume means loss cause it's Sony. This topic is filled with those type of reactions.

Gazz, you can't possibly be serious with this comment, can you? Sure, in an abstract sense high revenue allows a greater chance of profit, but I don't think anything could be further from the truth in this particular case. Nintendo's financials today revealed that they made $1.2b profit on approximately $6b in sales. While Sony's gaming division may have revenue comparable or even higher than Nintendo's, there's absolutely no chance that their profit will be anywhere close.

If the PS2 and PSP do such a great job of offsetting the PS3's costs, how come Sony keeps losing so much money every quarter in their gaming division? Here are the recent numbers:

FY 2007  -232b Yen (-$2110m at $1 = 110 yen)
Q1 2008 -29.2b Yen (-$265m)
Q2 2008 -96.7b Yen (-$879m)

What amazes me is how Sony can post massive losses quarter after quarter on their gaming division, then continue to aggressively cut the price and bundle the PS3, while Sony fans insist with a straight face that Sony is profiting on PS3 hardware! Folks, something has to give somewhere!

Regardless, Sony's numbers are due out in a week. Should make for interesting reading.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

ChronotriggerJM said:

MMMMMM VGC is happening today :P This thread is so full of LOL it's not even funny xD

@OP, good post :P Good for Sony I guess :P

@HORDES OF WII FANS, who... gives... a... shit? Your all so intelegent that you coulden't just shrug it off and assume he's clueless? Nupe!!!! Gotta sound the bells >: ) I AM GO ON RAMPAGE NOW!!!!! I mean honest to god why does it matter so much to you LOL, someone pointing out that this site isn't Wii bias, yet the ratio of posters in a PS3 TOPIC is like 7 wii owners to every 3 ps3 XD This is absolutely rediculous!!! I never gave two attempts at giving a shit about the Playstations victory's over Nintendo! It's not like it affected me in the least! Why does every wannabe econmoics professor in here feel the need to post the same damn comment over and over xD I think Parokki stated that Revenue =/= profit. BAM DONE!!!! Feel happy for him that he's excited about something for shit's sake people xD

I kinda agree with you, its not nice people flaming him, thats what start all this rubbish fanboy wars. But at the same time i would say, its not really something that should be celebrated though.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Sullla said:
Gazz said:

This topic is about Sony making the best revenue off all manufacturers and with a high revenue they make the best chance of making a bit of profit. The PSP and PS2 both sold 1.1 million units each and with that they make up a lot for the (potential?) loss on the PS3 which sold 798K on it's own according to the article.

Like I said before, perhaps my numbers are way off but they atleast leave room for discussion and show I put effort into my reply instead of: Revenue minus more costs we automaticly assume means loss cause it's Sony. This topic is filled with those type of reactions.

Gazz, you can't possibly be serious with this comment, can you? Sure, in an abstract sense high revenue allows a greater chance of profit, but I don't think anything could be further from the truth in this particular case. Nintendo's financials today revealed that they made $1.2b profit on approximately $6b in sales. While Sony's gaming division may have revenue comparable or even higher than Nintendo's, there's absolutely no chance that their profit will be anywhere close.

If the PS2 and PSP do such a great job of offsetting the PS3's costs, how come Sony keeps losing so much money every quarter in their gaming division? Here are the recent numbers:

FY 2007  -232b Yen (-$2110m at $1 = 110 yen)
Q1 2008 -29.2b Yen (-$265m)
Q2 2008 -96.7b Yen (-$879m)

What amazes me is how Sony can post massive losses quarter after quarter on their gaming division, then continue to aggressively cut the price and bundle the PS3, while Sony fans insist with a straight face that Sony is profiting on PS3 hardware! Folks, something has to give somewhere!

Regardless, Sony's numbers are due out in a week. Should make for interesting reading.

Atleast someone is arguing with me with some actual numbers. It shows you put some effort into your comment and didn't post some 'Sony fanboys must suck it up and I post a general youtube clip to prove nothing I say' comment.

I am bloody serious with my comment. Higher revenue allows a greater chance of profit as you so beautifully said it yourself. I admit it's an abstract view, but first and foremost it's a valid view and that's what matters. I never said that Sony might make a profit that Nintendo did, all I pointed out was that they might make a profit at this point and assuming they make a loss automaticly is narrowminded.

I have seen no proof that the losses generated by Sony's gaming division are only based on the PS3 startup costs. Perhaps Sony investeds hundreds of millions into the new PSP model and they are also making a new PS2 model. In contrary to the other figures of previous quarters, the PSP suddendly started to sell like hot cupcakes and they may have made a huge profit. Once again, not saying it is true, but it is a possiblity you have to keep in mind.

It's wrong to assume that Sony just stood still in these last couple of months and nothing has been changed in the PS production line itself. You can win and lose millions in the production process and it's fair enough to atleast keep those factors in mind.It's strange how everyone who tryes to look at this topic from a different perspective gets labeled as being a Sony fanboy.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979