By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo, hire this guy!!!! (Wii Head Motion, awesome!)

Well Smidlee one of the big differences between TrackIR and this is that it could not only be much cheaper to get this but that if the neccessary IR headband/whatever apparatus eventually gets used gets bundled with a game it'd be much easier to market and sell on a mass scale. Imagine it being set up at a GS or Best Buy demo somewhere. It could sell quite well with the right software.

Around the Network
azrm2k said:
Well Smidlee one of the big differences between TrackIR and this is that it could not only be much cheaper to get this but that if the neccessary IR headband/whatever apparatus eventually gets used gets bundled with a game it'd be much easier to market and sell on a mass scale. Imagine it being set up at a GS or Best Buy demo somewhere. It could sell quite well with the right software.

It's not just the price it the fact you have to learn to keep your head and body still while playing. Plus the fact head tracking actually IMO hurt your aim in FPS more than helps it especially playing online. Your have a combine of your character movement plus head movement plus aiming with an controller. In another words as a hardcore gamer (someone who pay for both Trackir 3 and X45 joystick/throttle) even I don't care for TrackIR for FPS or racing. Even with flight sim like IL2, it took me time to learn to work my head (body) with joystick plus throttle.

Ninty should hire him - a game implementing that would be awesome

Smidlee said:

Already done but doesn't sell that well on PC with hardcore gamers so don't expect it on consoles anytime soon.
Here is demos of PC games already using TrackIR.
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-videos.html

The PC applications of this technique are pretty flawed, due to the conventional inputs (keyboard + mouse) that the PC uses which chain the player to a desk, and to a chicken-and-egg problem where no software is designed to take advantage of the hardware because almost nobody has it, and nobody has the hardware because there's no software to take full advantage of it. That's why most of those videos just use head tracking like a second mouse input for looking around, instead of creating a 3d illusion. It seems silly that you move your head to left to move the camera left, but have to keep looking straight ahead (now out of the right corner of your eye) to actually see what's left.

Head tracking doesn't mean too much when you're sitting in a chair, but the 3D illusion can be quite striking  when the player can wildly change his/her position and distance relative to the screen. The Wii already has players used to standing up and moving around, unlike the PC.

Furthermore, the Wii solves the chicken-and-egg problem by providing the expensive and sophisticated part of the technology in the form of a second Wii remote. Most of the hardware is already there, any software would just have to pack in a stand and an LED headband for a $10 markup over the game.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Games like IL2 doesn't have 6D movement because 6D wasn't added until TrackIR 3. TrackIR 4 went totally 6D movement which newer flight sims/games includes. So older PC games like you said doesn't included 6D movement.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
Games like IL2 doesn't have 6D movement because 6D wasn't added until TrackIR 3. TrackIR 4 went totally 6D movement which newer flight sims/games includes. So older PC games like you said doesn't included 6D movement.

I was only looking at the videos I saw on youtube. They were mostly Battlefield or Allied Assault and they all claimed to be using TrackIR 4 Pro.

There was one video using it for 3D illusion in BF 2, but I still contend that it isn't worth much when you're stuck sitting at a desk. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
Smidlee said:

I was only looking at the videos I saw on youtube. They were mostly Battlefield or Allied Assault and they all claimed to be using TrackIR 4 Pro.

Then it has 6D movement just as the OP video. 

Smidlee said:
azrm2k said:

It's not just the price it the fact you have to learn to keep your head and body still while playing. Plus the fact head tracking actually IMO hurt your aim in FPS more than helps it especially playing online. Your have a combine of your character movement plus head movement plus aiming with an controller. In another words as a hardcore gamer (someone who pay for both Trackir 3 and X45 joystick/throttle) even I don't care for TrackIR for FPS or racing. Even with flight sim like IL2, it took me time to learn to work my head (body) with joystick plus throttle.

Head tracking with conventional controls, yes. But with a pointer, it would make the experience seem more lifelike, and actually help.

Have you ever played Paintball? If so, have you ever played a scenario game, where you are in a building? When you do, you never stick the marker out the window (or it will get tagged, and you are out). You always sit inside the room, and pan around with your marker inside.

Shooting out of the window of that building would be the same as playing paintball with this setup. Exactly the same.

Never in a gaming world (that's cheap enough to be on a home), has this ever been accomplished. I would buy a Wii for that experience. (If I knew I would never buy another game for it, I would buy it just for something like this).

Well a mouse is a pointer. and yes I have play paintball as well as a lot FPS online. FPS online is very fast pace and some FPS has head movement (keys) to lean around the corner,window,etc.

I 'm sure some here would probably like it so maybe there's a developer crazy enough (remember the Xbox mega comtroller) to make a game with head tracking.