By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 / 360 gap is now less than 2 million. Is it inevitable PS3 passes 360 in 2013?

Will the PS3 pass the 360 in 2013?

Yes, and it will pass it early in the year 45 34.62%

Yes, but it will take a w... 62 47.69%

No, Microsoft will have a... 10 7.69%

It will be close / tie 10 7.69%

The PS3 will never pass the 360 Lifetime 3 2.31%

Total:130

If the price cut for X360 won't happen, then PS3 will match its numbers by april.

Around the Network

I'm tempted to say yes, but honestly it doesn't matter to me anymore.
The "winners" and "losers" of this gen have been desided long ago.
Now lets enjoy the rest of this gen and dream of the next one!

Who f'n cares if ps3 ends up selling more....the, Xbox 360 has been a surprising success.... Now all Microsoft has to do is get the majority of these same owners next gen and they will dominate North America again, perhaps even Europe also.

So why care? I'm more concerned with next gen....
Are people really that concerned with their precious console not being last?
Well news flash fanboys, both of them lost

bananaking21 said:
Talal said:
Guys I haven't been on this site for ages so this might be a stupid question. I was looking around for sales and saw that as of Sep 2012 PS3 sold 70.2 and the 360 sold 70, is that true?

no. sony announced that as of 4th of novermber the PS3 shipped 70 million. MS announced that at the end of Sepetember (Q3) the 360 shipped 70 million. basically the PS3 was just a month behind

Oh, I see. Thanks. Wikipedia has the dates wrong then.

KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
It won't matter because once it does pass the 360 people will automatically go in defense mode and say how it took them 6 years to do it and the PS2 sold 150m blah blah blah. Yes, I can predict the future.

Weve been saying this for years.

Yes this is true but it will be much more relevant when it actually happens, don't you think?

Weve also been saying for years due to gen over gen comparisons, 360 wins regardless. Also how since all 3 next gen consoles are due out soon, you have a pretty short window to celebrate victory because im 100% positive the Nintendo and MS fans will have moved on to WiiU and next Xbox getting a head start on PS4 ;)

Only the PS3 camp will care, and itll fall on deaf ears.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Talal said:
bananaking21 said:
Talal said:
Guys I haven't been on this site for ages so this might be a stupid question. I was looking around for sales and saw that as of Sep 2012 PS3 sold 70.2 and the 360 sold 70, is that true?

no. sony announced that as of 4th of novermber the PS3 shipped 70 million. MS announced that at the end of Sepetember (Q3) the 360 shipped 70 million. basically the PS3 was just a month behind

Oh, I see. Thanks. Wikipedia has the dates wrong then.

no worries. dont count on Wikipedia when it comes to console sales, they usually have something wrong. 

Miguel_Zorro said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
It won't matter because once it does pass the 360 people will automatically go in defense mode and say how it took them 6 years to do it and the PS2 sold 150m blah blah blah. Yes, I can predict the future.

Yes this is true but it will be much more relevant when it actually happens, don't you think?

Weve also been saying for years due to gen over gen comparisons, 360 wins regardless. Also how since all 3 next gen consoles are due out soon, you have a pretty short window to celebrate victory because im 100% positive the Nintendo and MS fans will have moved on to WiiU and next Xbox getting a head start on PS4 ;)

You'll care, you'll just pretend that you won't.  Otherwise you wouldn't put so much effort into posts arguing that it's irrelevant.

At least you guys seem to now agree that this is inevitable.

This.

Miguel_Zorro said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:

You'll care, you'll just pretend that you won't.  Otherwise you wouldn't put so much effort into posts arguing that it's irrelevant.

At least you guys seem to now agree that this is inevitable.

I always saw this coming. I just think that 360 will hold out until its successor. Thats mission acclomplished to MS, and to me anyway.

I put effort because I don't like smug 3rd place fans acting like its the PS2 days.But when the next Xbox comes out, I literally have something new and current to take my attention away from what is happening now.

Plus, int he grand scheme, 360 was beating PS3 from 2005-2013. Thats 9 calender years. I guess you guys are due to celebrate a couple for yourselves lol

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

The PS3 passing the 360 doesn't actually matter. It will just underscore that the PS3 sold more units in less time than the 360. We already know that, though. The PS3's rate of sale is significantly higher than the 360's already, edging past it in total sales doesn't really mean a lot. Neither Sony nor Microsoft will get a trophy for finishing "2nd" or "3rd". Those are fan metrics, for the most part. The truth is that they will finish virtually tied in terms of total units sold.

Those who will really be affected by this are the ones who continuously talked about the PS3 finishing third in this generation. I've heard that said so often, for so many years, intended as an insult. It's amusing to watch those people back-peddle now by claiming that it doesn't matter.

For the record, I think it's going to be hard for the PS3 to pass the 360. It's going to have to accomplish most of its sales early, as the numbers are probably going to drop a lot near the end of the year (assuming reveals).

I still think it is incredible that the 360 maintains it's position now with 4 years since it's last price cut! PS3 has had at least 2 cuts sine the last 360 cut, and the PS3 SKU's are even cheaper than 360 (PS3 250GB vs 360 250GB in the US at least).

I still expect MS to do some sort of gangbuster pricecut at some point, but this year will be the new Xbox releasing so I'm not sure if the cut will have as much of an effect as it would have had in the last year or two.