By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Need cables for my PS3

Lafiel said:
@ madskillz )

yea the normal PS2 component-cables work fine with the PS3

did you make sure your LCD is able to decode HDCP?

1080i is an HDCP format.

Yea, I have been in that K-Mart. Brings back some memories from when a friend and I went looking for a Wii for him. Took 8-7 stores, (started at the Wal-Mart on Academy), and we finally found it in that K-Mart.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
Demac said:
You can use HDMI or the Sony AV cable for Component or Composite. The component cables from the PS2 work fine in the PS3 but regular component cables do not.

Cool. I have component cables for my PS2. It has the same interface? That would be cool if it does.

Thanks.

Yes, you can use your PS2 cables.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

MrMafoo )

HDCP format? .. do you know what you are talking about ?

HDCP is the High-bandwith Digital Content Protection and no , _not_ every Monitor that can put out the resolution of 1080i does come with a decoder chip for HDCP

the HDMI output of the PS3 (and every other HDMI output) uses HDCP , but not every Monitor with a DVI in has the HDCP decoder , thats why I wanted to make sure madskillz has a HDCP compliant LCD , for he won't get a picture without that

the AV-Multi-out the PS3 has ,doesn't use HDCP , so the Beamer which will be connected with component-cables , doesn't need HDCP decoding for outputting a 1080i resolution

Basically, if you got your TV after the start of 2006, it will most like support HDCP, as HDMI 1.2a was finalized in Dec. 2005, and I'm pretty sure it made HDCP mandatory.

<insert awesome signature here>

Lafiel said:
MrMafoo )

HDCP is the High-bandwith Digital Content Protection and no , _not_ every Monitor that can put out the resolution of 1080i does come with a decoder chip for HDCP

the HDMI output of the PS3 (and every other HDMI output) uses HDCP , but not every Monitor with a DVI in has the HDCP decoder , thats why I wanted to make sure madskillz has a HDCP compliant LCD , for he won't get a picture without that

the AV-Multi-out the PS3 has ,doesn't use HDCP , so the Beamer which will be connected with component-cables , doesn't need HDCP decoding for outputting a 1080i resolution

if you have a TV that supports "1080i", meaning it says that somewhere on the box, it does HDCP. My 30" dell is 2560x1600, but does not support HDCP (thus no 1080i).

So to answer your question, yes, I know what I am talking about :)

Around the Network

@ MrMafoo )

that's not entirely true , many projectors and even some widescreen LCDs had that resolution (1920 x 1080 , interlaced , 60 Hz) without being "HD Ready" (that term includes resolutions of at least 720p + 1080i , HDCP compliant , at least 1 digital input HDMI/DVI )

your explanation only works for models made after the stardards for "HD" were specified

MrMafoo said:
Lafiel said:
MrMafoo )

if you have a TV that supports "1080i", meaning it says that somewhere on the box, it does HDCP. My 30" dell is 2560x1600, but does not support HDCP (thus no 1080i).

Not necessarily. There were TVs outputting 1080i long before HDCP was even released.

1080i over HDMI might require HDCP, though. Not sure about that. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

HDMI from PS3 requires HDCP for anything above 480P. Here is one link
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/ps3-dvi-hdmi-480p-1363.shtml
It also states it in the PS3 manuals.

rocketpig said:
MrMafoo said:
Lafiel said:
MrMafoo )

Not necessarily. There were TVs outputting 1080i long before HDCP was even released.

1080i over HDMI might require HDCP, though. Not sure about that. 

Gah, I just looked it up, and I seem to be talking out of my ass. Don’t mind me.

Lafiel said:
@ madskillz )

yea the normal PS2 component-cables work fine with the PS3

did you make sure your LCD is able to decode HDCP?

Hmmm ... I am not sure about that. It's a Samsung Syncmaster 22". I know it was having probs with my HD DVD player - but that's ok. I have a pretty cool setup - I have my video devices running to both my regular def TV and my projector, in case the LCD doesn't work.

To all - thanks for the help.