By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2013: The year of the microconsole?

Tagged games:

Which currently announced Microconsole are you interested in?

OuYa 11 61.11%

Nvidia Shield 2 11.11%

Game Stick 0 0%

Other 5 27.78%

Total:18

Ehh... What the hell was Dreamcast doing on the list with 3DO and CDi.

It's really just about games. The competition is going to going to be hard; with Java games, flash games, mobile games, Facebook games, it's going to be hard to sell an expensive controller to plug to your TV.

Not that I didn't like the idea, but the obvious problems are the apparent lack of multiplayer, the tone in the article of "a platform anyone can make games to" and as it was presented; no hassle in publishing the games, like you have on other platforms.

The first "no quality control" obscure game, and the platform is dead. You'll drown in free or nearly free crappy games, and after that, nobody makes money.
And you still need to have the age rating in a game.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

One thing is for sure I'm definitely won't be wasting my money on any of these devices.

BasilZero said:
the2real4mafol said:

Never heard of the game stick, but out of any of them only the Nvidia Shield has my interest so far. But they all just seem too expensive or weak so far

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

Its the one in the banner in the OP.

Wow that's extremely portable, i have no idea how they got a games console onto a USB stick though. That's just insane! But it looks good, i might pay close attention to this. I just wonder since it's android, would many games support the controller? But, i wish they could ordinary consoles smaller, i fear they will be quite bulky again. But things could be quite interesting in gaming, if things carry on this way. Who knows where gaming could be by 2020.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Ouya and Gamestick are low-end
Shield, Steambox and Wii U are mid-end
X720 and PS4 are high-end

I'm somewhat interested in a steambox. I'd like a duel-boot with android (Google TV). I'm hoping for a 4 year lifecycle with every two years a new iteration. I'm also interested in Oculus Rift. I'll be waiting how things pan out, but steambox is on my radar. Not buying anything for at least 2 years.

Game stick is nothing but an AndroidOS on a stick, like this, just with a little more power and a bluetooth controller.

Around the Network

Honestly not interested in any of these consoles, maybe once good games come out I'd be interested, but I really don't care to play any current android games on a big screen or on a handheld that very likely will be expensive.