By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz Hirai: PS Vita Sales Are on the Low End of Expectations

Dodece said:
Otakumegane said:
I don't really quite understand why VGKing is mad at me did I do something wrong? Is there some kinda code I broke?

You didn't do anything wrong, but he sure as hell was trying to do something wrong. He was trying to con your ass into buying a Vita. Desperate people say, and do desperate things. He probably thought you were gullible enough that his words alone could get you to go out and buy one. He was actually trying to defend his own investment. He needs you to buy one so that his doesn't become worthless. He just let his frustration get the better of him. On the whole Vita owners are paranoid, and overly aggressive. They are gun shy, because they are backing a failing platform with all their heart.

The truth about the platform is that it is well within the danger zone. A product that has been around for years can survive with sales like these, because there are enough established users to support third party game development. The Vita doesn't have enough users to justify third party development as it stands right now, and if sales don't dramatically improve right now. The portable won't be able to gather enough users up before third party developers begin to cancel their games, and abandon platform development completely.

Once that happens the game is over whether Sony likes it or not. They can't force retailers to carry the product, and they aren't going to convince consumers to pay the asking price if it isn't going to be getting new games, or just two or three a year. They could sell it a heavy discount at that point, but that is like killing your best cows to feed vultures. It would be like throwing good money away, because once a platform dies like this. It cannot be resurrected. The negative word of mouth alone kills off any potential sales. Anyway it is up to you whether you feel comfortable enough with the risk or not, but there is a real big risk with a purchase.

The fact of the matter is that the Vita is actually under performing the Dreamcast in both hardware and software, and we know how that story turned out for Sega. Sony probably can't even salvage the device like they did the PS3. Basically throwing billions of dollars at the problem until it somehow gets fixed. They just don't have the money to do that. Especially prior to the probable launch of a new home console.

I see. Thank you very much that cleared up a lot of questions I had. (Even worse than the Dreamcast? wow.) 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

That's nice Kaz, but I would like to know what Sony will do about that and I'm sure most 3rd party developers would too. Hope the Destination Playstation will show off some cool games, and some cool Sony games that aren't also available for the PS3...I'm ok with vita versions of games (uncharted, assassin's creed, killzone), but I want more Vita exclusive IP's.

Maybe with him admitting the PS Vita didn't do well, they will put some effort into making it sell better, instead of this hope and pray stuff they seemed to be doing this whole year. I want better advertising, I mean advertising that advertises all ps vita features, not just playing COD on a roof top.

spurgeonryan said:
I saw absolutely zero marketing this holiday. You need marketing to sell products.

I saw more Vita ads than Wii U lol

I saw more Vita/PS ad's than Xbox/Wii-u put together this Christmas. Wonder if it had any effect in the UK.. hmm seems it didnt put it above the Xbox in the UK.... so perhaps not. Did the 12GB not have an effect either.. wow.