By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 'Crysis 3' not coming to Wii U due to lack of "business drive"

LOL EA doesn't owe Nintendo anything, this game would very likely bomb on the Wii U.

Third parties aren't obligated to 'create' a market on Wii U.

Nintendo has billions sitting in the bank but can't make their own flagship blockbuster 'mature' franchise ... why should third parties.

Ever notice that the Sonic group or Skylanders teams or Lego games never miss Nintendo platforms? Because Mario and company pave the way.

Nintendo makes no such investment to build a core base these days, even in the late 90s and early 2000s they were at least willing to try with things like Perfect Dark, Coker, and Eternal Darkness. Today those teams would probably be working on Yoshi game.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
LOL EA doesn't owe Nintendo anything, this game would very likely bomb on the Wii U.

Third parties aren't obligated to 'create' a market on Wii U.

Nintendo has billions sitting in the bank but can't make their own flagship blockbuster 'mature' franchise ... why should third parties.

Ever notice that the Sonic group or Skylanders teams or Lego games never miss Nintendo platforms? Because Mario and company pave the way.

Nintendo makes no such investment to build a core base these days, even in the late 90s and early 2000s they were at least willing to try with things like Perfect Dark, Coker, and Eternal Darkness. Today those teams would probably be working on Yoshi game.

But you're almost right about the devs, the first two games are Rare games and they are making Kinect games for X360 like Darts Vs. Zombies.

Also goto here.

Sounds reasonable...  It'll never be confirmed but it sounds plausible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, remember last year when the President of EA came onto Nintendo's E3 Stage and announced their "very close partnership" with Nintendo like double rainbows just happen and we were going to get a ton of high quality games for Wii U?

What happened to that?

Well supposedly, eight months before E3 and many months after this is what it was like between EA and Nintendo. Nintendo noticed that many people commended EA's online system and netcode they did for their Wii games (Madden, Medal of Honor, ect) so they asked them if they could work on contract to help build the core online ecosystem for their next gen console. EA provide a ton of consoling to Nintendo, such as how to make low-latency net code, username account systems, social networks and more. While other companies did provide input as well, EA made sure to provide the most input and support for the Wii U's R&D.

As an reward, EA received development kits even before Ubisoft, Valve or Tecmo Koei. Many of EA's studios were interested, especially Bioware who have been wanting to put their own games on a Nintendo system for ages and finally had the technical ability to do it with a Mass Effect Trilogy port and Dragon Age 3 on slate for the system.

Here comes the problem. At a meeting in Kyoto, a month or so after Peter Moore visited them, Nintendo of Japan showed EA their new Nintendo Network and Miiverse online system for Wii U. They wanted to congratulate them helping them with the support and paid them for their counseling.

This is where reportedly EA according to my friends who were at the meeting the core executives at EA got greedy. They then offered this deal to Nintendo where EA could go further with the online system adding smartphone/tablet functionality, communities, Facebook and Twitter interactions and more. Better netcode and something that would truly rival X-Box Live and PSN.

The catch? Nintendo would have to make the Nintendo Network for Wii U officially part of Origin and run Origin's interface and netcode. Ergo, Nintendo Network would be an Origin-exclusive network.

Nintendo actually did debate for a minute if they should accept EA's deal, but they quickly decided (and put their foot down) that there was WAY more harm than good doing this. Even though Nintendo Network can link to Origin and it's servers, having the core network running on Origin would provide quality control issues. For example, if EA wanted to sell some low end DLC for $50 each when realistically consumers would buy it only for $5, EA could do this without Nintendo having any say since it was their network and not Nintendo's. Also, if a rival company let's say Activision wanted to put Modern Warfare 4 on Wii U, EA could give Activison the WORST netcode and support resources while putting all their back into Battlefield 4, thus making a rival look worse than EA"s products.

These unfair business possibilities and consumer complaints on Origin for PC made Nintendo reject EA's offering for Origin and instead opted to keep the platform open to it's own internal network and able to link/patch in other networks such as Steam and uPlay.

This, like the PSN vs. Capcom incident that caused MH4 to jump ship, destroyed any momentum that Nintendo had with EA for Wii U. While EA still likes Wii U and will support it, from what I understand unless the launch titles or future titles sell way beyond expectations, EA will simply "throw Wii U bones" by putting some multiplatform games without giving them any real budgets. This means we are going to get low quality in terms of budget and manpower ports of various EA games with no soul behind them and thus the original agreement of ME3, FIFA and Madden are gimped and the developers have only that small budget to work with.

Aielyn said:
ocean-1984 said:
... shovel-ware...

As soon as I saw this, I knew you were full of it.

Shovelware games do not sell well. Ever. If you think that games like Carnival Games are shovelware, then explain why it sold nearly 4 million copies while the 99% of other games similar to it all flopped.

The shovelware games are the games that were heaped onto the system at low cost in the hopes of getting "lucky". Games in the top 100 are games that were properly made and were mostly the "originals" - the games that convinced developers to heap other games that are "similar" to them onto the system. Carnival Games (to stick with this specific instance) was properly made for the Wii, and was released when there was no particular reason to think that there was a market for the game. It flourished, and within about half a year, there was a flood of similar titles. The "half a year" is relevant, by the way.

Indeed, this distinction is a good demonstration of WHY Crysis 3 should be released on the Wii U - because it would create the market, and perform well.

Oh, and by the way everyone, Crysis routinely sells under 1 million copies, according to VGChartz. If the dev costs of the game are high enough to be an issue, then releasing on more platforms should help them to not make a massive loss on the game. If the dev costs are low, there's no harm in releasing the game on the Wii U anyway. So really, the argument that dev costs relative to potential sales are the reason is just plain wrong.

Yeah, exacly Carnival Games got lucky, and it is shovel-vare,  56 on metacritic... Mothers buy those games for kids because they look nice and collorful. I have Wii collectig dust for years and im not getting WiiU simply because it will end up like this as well. Back then i bought Wii for Red Stell now we have ZombiU. Its all very simillar. Publishers know that and they wont invest in games like Crysis on WiiU. Hopefully sitiuation will be diffirent and we get the best of two worlds.

Honestly, after what EA pulled with Mass Effect is just a tragedy... charging Wii U owners $60 for an 8 month old game while selling Mass Effect Trilogy for an even cheaper price on other systems is just low. Aside from yearly Madden and FIFA, I think the less EA, the better.

This makes a huge opportunity for Ubisoft and Activision to make some serious headway on the platform.

Around the Network
ocean-1984 said:
Yeah, exacly Carnival Games got lucky, and it is shovel-vare,  56 on metacritic... Mothers buy those games for kids because they look nice and collorful. I have Wii collectig dust for years and im not getting WiiU simply because it will end up like this as well. Back then i bought Wii for Red Stell now we have ZombiU. Its all very simillar. Publishers know that and they wont invest in games like Crysis on WiiU. Hopefully sitiuation will be diffirent and we get the best of two worlds.

If you honestly believe that Carnival Games's success was just a matter of luck, then you really don't understand the videogame industry.

If Carnival Games's success was due to it appealing to people too stupid to know the difference, then ALL games fitting that description would have a similar level of success.

And shock horror - a game that's not even remotely designed for the core gamer gets a relatively low score when rated by core gamers. Who could have foreseen that? By the way, fun fact - two review sites actually rated it over 80%. GameTrailers gave it a 7.3/10. On the flipside, GamePro gave it a 2/5.

And by the way, you mention that "Publishers know that and they won't invest in games like Crysis on WiiU". Are you suggesting that they DID invest in such games on the Wii? Or are you suggesting that, after failing so badly with the Wii, their choice with the Wii U should be to do exactly what they did with the Wii? Because the definition of insanity comes to mind.

Oh Come the fcuk on guys.. who gives a flying fk.. Crysis is shit and overrated.

Like I mentioned in the thread I created just yesterday, this is going to be the rule for a majority of 3rd party games for 2013 for the Wii U not the exception. Im sure the 3rd party developers have late stage kits from Sony and Microsoft and are at this point willing to take the risk to develop for those consoles than take the sure bet of the games not selling for the Wii U.

Kenology said:
Aielyn said:
Sounds to me like something equivalent to that Operation Rainfall thing needs to be started, targeted at EA.

Please, just no.

I'm not so much concerned with EA's games. I'm concerned with the "EA Partners" games. Games from Crytek, for instance. There are also a few EA-owned studios that I'm slightly concerned with - it would be a shame if games like Boom Blox didn't make it to the Wii U.

well im glad it has been confirmed officially that EA are still but hurt about the origin fiasco.

I will laugh when EA keeps looking money because of egos.