By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Where to be born in 2013?

Also, may I humbly ask that New England be ranked separately from the rest of the U.S.? Our education system, average income, and public health are all a good bit better than the rest of the country. I can't help but believe that West Virginia all by itself cost us a spot or two :P

Around the Network
Normando said:
Also, may I humbly ask that New England be ranked separately from the rest of the U.S.? Our education system, average income, and public health are all a good bit better than the rest of the country. I can't help but believe that West Virginia all by itself cost us a spot or two :P

I despise West Virginia. I hope I'm never forced to go there ever again.

As with any list, you can't make everyone happy, but it seems to me that it is deeply flawed. For example America and Britain are way too low and Israel way high

Aj_habfan said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Aj_habfan said:
kain_kusanagi said:
The top 20 are so close it really doesn't matter.

Loser talk from #16.

Here at #9, we know it's all about the top 10.

How's the winter up there at #9? It's pretty nice here at a measly .43 points lower. It's probably not all that much different for you anyway since 99% of your population lives as close to NA #17 as they possibly can and shop across the board to avoid the GST. I guess the great white north isn't too bad if you stay in to watch some Hollywood movies and enjoy some delicious McDonalds. Yep, that .43 difference makes all the differences and makes that whole GST, PST, and HST totally worth it.

You might be interested to know that the UN Human Development Index rates the US at #4 and Canada at #8 and that while the US makes public it's poverty rate Canada keeps theirs under wraps. Not that any of it really matters since we are talking about such a tiny difference.

Personally I'm a big fan of both countries and its people. Nearly  the whole Top 20 on this list are really great free nations. But if I had to move away from my beloved homeland I think I'd probably go with #2 over #9.

Watch the way you speak to your superiors #16. 

Maybe a complete lack of a sense of humour is hurting your score? Ignorance and arrogance combined is very ugly. I guess the tax system can be a bit confusing though, but you at least know the names, so I can't fault your misknowledge too much.

If you read my words without sensing even a little bit of humor you either have none yourself or suffer from some kind of maple syrup induced partial diabetes blindness. That or you've taken too many pucks to the head.

naruball said:
As with any list, you can't make everyone happy, but it seems to me that it is deeply flawed. For example America and Britain are way too low and Israel way high

This might be a bit better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index#2011_report

UN Human Development Index 2011 Report

1.  Norway 0.943 ()
  2.  Australia 0.929 ()
  3.  Netherlands 0.910 ()
  4.  United States 0.910 ()
  5.  New Zealand 0.908 ()
  6.  Canada 0.908 ()
  7.  Ireland 0.908 ()
  8.  Liechtenstein 0.905 ()
  9.  Germany 0.905 ()
  10.  Sweden 0.904 ()
  11.  Switzerland 0.903 ()
  12.  Japan 0.901 ()
  13.  Hong Kong 0.898 ( 1)
  14.  Iceland 0.898 ( 1)
  15.  South Korea 0.897 ()
  16.  Denmark 0.895 ()
  1.  Israel 0.888 ()
  2.  Belgium 0.886 ()
  3.  Austria 0.885 ()
  4.  France 0.884 ()
  5.  Slovenia 0.884 ()
  6.  Finland 0.882 ()
  7.  Spain 0.878 ()
  8.  Italy 0.874 ()
  9.  Luxembourg 0.867 ()
  10.  Singapore 0.866 ()
  11.  Czech Republic 0.865 ()
  12.  United Kingdom 0.863 ()
  13.  Greece 0.861 ()
  14.  United Arab Emirates 0.846 ()
  15.  Cyprus 0.840 ()
  16.  Andorra 0.838 ()
  1.  Brunei 0.838 ()
  2.  Estonia 0.835 ()
  3.  Slovakia 0.834 ()
  4.  Malta 0.832 ()
  5.  Qatar 0.831 ()
  6.  Hungary 0.816 ()
  7.  Poland 0.813 ()
  8.  Lithuania 0.810 ( 1)
  9.  Portugal 0.809 ( 1)
  10.  Bahrain 0.806 ()
  11.  Latvia 0.805 ()
  12.  Chile 0.805 ()
  13.  Argentina 0.797 ( 1)
  14.  Croatia 0.796 ( 1)
  15.  Barbados 0.793 ()

Around the Network

Interesting that the UAE tied Germany. Since I live in the UAE, I see no reason why anyone would want to be born here other than the very low crime rate.
Since this is the Economist Intelligence Unit, I think they use many different index's to construct their quality of life index. So, they factor in many things like Human rights, infrastructure quality, literacy rate etc.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

NintendoPie said:
bouzane said:
Seeing that Canada is slowly becoming a toilet I wouldn't mind moving to Colorado. I don't care if America is lower on the list, at least it is free (relatively speaking of course).

I'm guessing the reason you want to move to Colorado is because of the recent marijuana legalization? 

I wold much rather move to Canada then move there now.

That and they also have far better gun rights.

Unsurprising to see Australia and Canada so high up. I wish i could live there, they make Britain look pathetic, and to think we used to own them!

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Kantor said:
Yup, Britain is apparently a hellhole. We are below Kuwait and Chile.

Switzerland and Canada look attractive.

switzerland is boring as hell 

As far as opportunities and chances go, I'm glad I was born in the United States, despite its placement on the list. Particularly, I'm glad for the Higher Education system.