By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Getting a gaming laptop

I've been looking to buy a new laptop for a while but only have my eyes on one: Msi gaming notebook gt70 i7 - 3630m. The specs given by Carrefour are as follows: 

3rd generation intel i7 3630 QM processor 2.4 ghz up to 3.4ghz with 6MB L3 cache memory 16GB Ram (1600 MHz), 750 GB (7200 rpm) + 128gb SSD. 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M dedicated graphics gddr 5. Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. 17.3", full HD Led screen, anti glare.

A few other extras like Blu ray and DVD drive.

It costs 8999 AED, which is $2500 US dollars.

Is it worth it?

Around the Network

That's a great laptop... but the obligatory advice: You can get a beast of a PC with $2500 that won't get outdated as quick and can be upgraded, so unless you absolutely need it to be portable invest in a PC instead.

Well I thought about making a pc from the ground up but I'll be moving about a lot in less than a year and would love to play some games I bought for pc that ran absolutely atrociously on my previous and dead laptop xD. I'm still deciding though, and if there are anymore suggestions of gaming laptops much would be appreciated :)

If you want to custom build one could try: http://www.originpc.com

They are bit pricey though.

pezus said:
My motto these days is to buy a cheap and portable laptop along with upgrading my gaming rig. Buying a laptop for gaming is...very expensive.

or a tablet

Around the Network
pezus said:
My motto these days is to buy a cheap and portable laptop along with upgrading my gaming rig. Buying a laptop for gaming is...very expensive.

Well , I guess it's the price for putting power on a (more or less) portable, machine. I'm still counting my options :p but that's a good strategy that I was planning to use until I knew id be travelling quite frequently in the coming year. A desktop is too big to bring along xD

I haven't looked into those portable tablet devices that can play pc games and have a wii u controller like look to them. Are those worth getting (personally I never liked the look of em).

I think it is vastly overpriced. You should be able to get a midrange gaming laptop (i.e. will play modern games at high settings at 1080p) for  under $1000. (I had a look through Carrefour UAE but they idiotically don't give graphics chip model numbers for anything I looked at)

Then when you have moved you can get a desktop which is much better value.

I'm not sure what those pc tablet things were but I remember seeing vid of one playing crysis at a high setting. Not sure what they are called.

And about the Carrefour UAE website, they show the specs, and I compared it to the higher priced Msi laptop which costs a rediculous 14999 AED or $4083 US dollars. I looked at the graphics card which happened to be an inferior one compared to the one Ive mentioned in the op which is why I'm so tempted.

I wish there were proper computer shops around here that weren't so hidden >.

I say spend $2000 on a decent gaming desktop, no holds barred.
Then buy a cheap AMD trinity notebook for about $500, you would be surprised how well those IGP's play games at 720P when backed with decent speedy RAM.

When I was a notebook gamer years ago it was amazing how fast I replaced systems for more gaming performance, it was literally a money sink. - However PC gaming was moving at a frantic pace back in those days where you needed a new GPU almost every 12 months, it's not that bad these days thankfully, unless you want 120hz, Triple Monitor etc'.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I'm so done with these computer advice threads.

I'll leave the collective 'you' in the hands of people with way too much money to spend and who think everyone enjoys overclocking or messing with multi-GPU drivers.