By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek Exec Says Next-Gen requires 8GB RAM

Maybe it's just me, but if a developer insists on 8gb Ram there is probably a plan in place to use it. It's not just Crytek, but Epic and Dice I believe have also requested it, and I'm certain CDPR, Bethesda, EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc would all welcome it.

Like anything, if you make it available, good developers will use it, great developers will take advantage of it.

All of this should they/shouldn't they argument doesn't make sense to me, of course they should!

Around the Network
NotUS said:
Maybe it's just me, but if a developer insists on 8gb Ram there is probably a plan in place to use it. It's not just Crytek, but Epic and Dice I believe have also requested it, and I'm certain CDPR, Bethesda, EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc would all welcome it.

Like anything, if you make it available, good developers will use it, great developers will take advantage of it.

All of this should they/shouldn't they argument doesn't make sense to me, of course they should!

you are wrong dude. Bathesda needs 32gbs of ram the way they progam without optimization haha.

Not sure why some people assume that 4GB is enough, when we have lot of AAA developers asking for 8GB - and that's what they obviously consider to be minimum required if next-gen is to last as long as this one. Honestly, I don't think something like Halo4 would be possible if MS haven't increased memory to 512MB from originally planned 256MB, so even if they've planned for 4GB I'd bet they will listen to developers again on this one.

As for PC games not requiring 8GB - FarCry3 min requirements are 4GB, high-performance are 8GB - I expect to see lot of games with these sort of requirements in near future.

HoloDust said:
Not sure why some people assume that 4GB is enough, when we have lot of AAA developers asking for 8GB - and that's what they obviously consider to be minimum required if next-gen is to last as long as this one. Honestly, I don't think something like Halo4 would be possible if MS haven't increased memory to 512MB from originally planned 256MB, so even if they've planned for 4GB I'd bet they will listen to developers again on this one.

As for PC games not requiring 8GB - FarCry3 min requirements are 4GB, high-performance are 8GB - I expect to see lot of games with these sort of requirements in near future.

Really? If I open the task manager while playing 4-5GB is the max, no game I've ever played needed 8GB of RAM

KHlover said:
HoloDust said:

Really? If I open the task manager while playing 4-5GB is the max, no game I've ever played needed 8GB of RAM

Well, maybe you should report that to Ubisoft and tell them they were wrong and they should change their official "high performance" sys requirements. ;)

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
KHlover said:
HoloDust said:

Well, maybe you should report that to Ubisoft and tell them they were wrong and they should change their official "high performance" sys requirements. ;)

I think you're taking those recommandations too seriously. They are set higher than needed to prevent being too low. For example I won't be angry if the recommended processor is a core i7-2600K, but the game runs flawlessly with a core i5-2500K. But if a i5-2500k was recommended and the game wouldn't run on a core i7-2600k people would be pissed. Same with the RAM. 

Nah, 640k will always be plenty.

poroporo said:
Nah, 640k will always be plenty.

^^

KHlover said:
HoloDust said:

It's just my opinion, but that is how your task manager looks like today. Throw 8gb into a console and that resets/lifts the baseline for PC. A few years from now 8gb will be standard, 12-16 recommended for top end PC. I sure would love to see what games look and play like with those requirements.

NotUS said:
KHlover said:
HoloDust said:

It's just my opinion, but that is how your task manager looks like today. Throw 8gb into a console and that resets/lifts the baseline for PC. A few years from now 8gb will be standard, 12-16 recommended for top end PC. I sure would love to see what games look and play like with those requirements.

I doubt they would look much better than some of todays games with mods, so I hope most improvements will be made in the area of phsyics, level design and AI.