By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If MS/Sony/Ninty Could Own One of its Competitors, Who Should Own What?

Who Should Own Who? (For the Best!)

Microsoft owns Nintendo 19 11.52%

Nintendo owns Microsoft 7 4.24%

Microsoft owns Sony 21 12.73%

Sony owns Microsoft 11 6.67%

Sony owns Nintendo 45 27.27%

Nintendo owns Sony 44 26.67%

Too much to Take In!!!!! 18 10.91%

Total:165

Here's a crazy question for Everyone, If one company could no longer go on (financially,etc) whatever the case may be who should pick them up and use them to there assets?

Imagine Nintendo being own by Sony, SSB or any 1st party would boost Sony's Hardware in a heartbeat, or Microsoft owning Sony! Maybe Nintendo owning Microsoft (jus gaming relax) and have crazy xboxlive feats and achievements! Master Chief in SSB anyone?

Remember that this is most likely never going to happen! Jus pick what would be the most interesting!

Pls vote and dont be scared to post!

Around the Network

Microsoft and Nintendo. Why? Because that would make the perfect console for the East and West. MSFT games for the West and Nintendo games for the East.  Plus Financially MSFT can afford them, I don't think sony would be able to in their current state

BTW, your best thread yet :)

It would not be a completely outrageous suggestion at this point to wonder about Sony selling its gaming division to another company. Suppose the buyer was Microsoft, who could actually afford them. Would Microsoft suddenly become relevant in Japan, or would Japan become 100% Nintendo territory? My guess is the latter. The Japanese market won't take a Western console seriously. The global market would become extremely polarized, with MicroSony dominating the West and Nintendo effectively having a monopoly on the industry in Japan. This would lead to Nintendo securing key Japanese exclusives like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and possibly Final Fantasy. They would still sell decently well in the West thanks to their first-party franchises, and that generation would probably be very balanced in global sales.

Either combination of Nintendo and Sony, however, would literally break the industry. Microsoft can't compete with that. No one can compete with that. SonTendo would have a complete global monopoly on dedicated video game consoles. Ultimately, I think that could have disastrous results.

the_dengle said:
It would not be a completely outrageous suggestion at this point to wonder about Sony selling its gaming division to another company. Suppose the buyer was Microsoft, who could actually afford them. Would Microsoft suddenly become relevant in Japan, or would Japan become 100% Nintendo territory? My guess is the latter. The Japanese market won't take a Western console seriously. The global market would become extremely polarized, with MicroSony dominating the West and Nintendo effectively having a monopoly on the industry in Japan. This would lead to Nintendo securing key Japanese exclusives like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and possibly Final Fantasy. They would still sell decently well in the West thanks to their first-party franchises, and that generation would probably be very balanced in global sales.

this is very thought out and it makes sense.  Props man.  Some Sony franchises would help MSFT though in the East but yeah Nintendo would dominate in the east.

JayWood2010 said:

Microsoft and Nintendo. Why? Because that would make the perfect console for the East and West. MSFT games for the West and Nintendo games for the East.

Want to hear something funny i wanted to post this yesterday (b4 holiday) but i was like made too many threads (like 4or5) and today but i remember your post lol! I said i'll wait intill night, ( me trying to get away with it :-> ) Anyway i like Microsoft alot (even though i love Nintendo) There shooters like GoW and Halo are whats missing in Nintendo! I like star fox but its its own game (not a typo), and metroid is crazy fun but plays with a different feeling IMO! I like Sony's Third Party more than its 1st (Ex Final Fantasy [square enix]) BUT to each their own i guess! Thanks 4liking, Hope others will too!

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
the_dengle said:

this is very thought out and it makes sense.  Props man.  Some Sony franchises would help MSFT though in the East but yeah Nintendo would dominate in the east.

Thanks. I disagree about Sony's franchises, though; their biggest sellers this gen were Gran Turismo, Uncharted, and LittleBigPlanet, all very popular in America and Europe, and not popular at all in Japan. Their best-selling first-party PS3 game in Japan was GT5 at... 780k. Sony is in an odd place: They sell well in Japan because they get good Japanese third-party support, and they get good Japanese third-party support because they sell well in Japan. It comes back to them being a Japanese hardware company. If they suddenly stopped receiving that support, or were suddenly absorbed into a Western company...

tbone51 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Microsoft and Nintendo. Why? Because that would make the perfect console for the East and West. MSFT games for the West and Nintendo games for the East.

Want to hear something funny i wanted to post this yesterday (b4 holiday) but i was like made too many threads (like 4or5) and today but i remember your post lol! I said i'll wait intill night, ( me trying to get away with it :-> ) Anyway i like Microsoft alot (even though i love Nintendo) There shooters like GoW and Halo are whats missing in Nintendo! I like star fox but its its own game (not a typo), and metroid is crazy fun but plays with a different feeling IMO! I like Sony's Third Party more than its 1st (Ex Final Fantasy [square enix]) BUT to each their own i guess! Thanks 4liking, Hope others will too!

lol Yeah I just got home and got a late night workout in so Im still wide awake lol  But the only reason I chose MSFT taking Nintendo instead of the other way around is because MSFT consoles have better graphics.  If Gears, Halo, and Forza went to Nintendo instead of the NeXbox they would actually have to lower the graphics.  I didn't choose sony because  MSFT and Sony already are similar in many ways. Halo-Resistance Gran Turismo-Forza Gears-Uncharted Fable-well actually sony has yet to make a western RPG that I'm aware of.  But eah they are just too similar to make a mix between the two.  Plus Rare could be with Nintendo again in a way

the_dengle said:
JayWood2010 said:
the_dengle said:

Thanks. I disagree about Sony's franchises, though; their biggest sellers this gen were Gran Turismo, Uncharted, and LittleBigPlanet, all very popular in America and Europe, and not popular at all in Japan. Their best-selling first-party PS3 game in Japan was Hot Shots golf at... 750k. Sony is in an odd place: They sell well in Japan because they get good Japanese third-party support, and they get good Japanese third-party support because they sell well in Japan. It comes back to them being a Japanese hardware company. If they suddenly stopped receiving that support, or were suddenly absorbed into a Western company...

hmm, now that you mention it, they don't have any Japanese games do they?  That is strange.  But would sony really mix well with MSFT.  The only franchise that MSFT would benifit from is Gran Turismo but even then Forza and Turn 10 has been making better games this generation althoug Gran Turismo sells better.  Besides that maybe Uncharted and God of War but they wouldn't be getting much new customers because that is basically the same market they already have.

JayWood2010 said:

hmm, now that you mention it, they don't have any Japanese games do they?  That is strange.  But would sony really mix well with MSFT.  The only franchise that MSFT would benifit from is Gran Turismo but even then Forza and Turn 10 has been making better games this generation althoug Gran Turismo sells better.  Besides that maybe Uncharted and God of War but they wouldn't be getting much new customers because that is basically the same market they already have.

Gran Turismo would probably be a nice compliment to Forza, which for the most part has been a biannual series for Microsoft. Release GT games in off-years, have a new racing game every year without flooding the market with a single franchise. Microsoft would certainly be selling more software at the very least, making their console more profitable.

For the people saying MS could buy Nintendo... I think MS would destroy Nintendo. Look at what they did to Rare.

the_dengle said:
JayWood2010 said:

Gran Turismo would probably be a nice compliment to Forza, which for the most part has been a biannual series for Microsoft. Release GT games in off-years, have a new racing game every year without flooding the market with a single franchise. Microsoft would certainly be selling more software at the very least, making their console more profitable.

For the people saying MS could buy Nintendo... I think MS would destroy Nintendo. Look at what they did to Rare.

Rare has made some good games with MSFT including Conker Live and Reloaded, Kameo, and Viva Pinata.  I will blame them for not allowing some games.  Still  a Banjo Three and a Conker's Bad Fur day 2 is a must. As for Forza and Gran Turismo I guess if they both took turns releaseing every two years then that would be ok.  Forza is always 2 years so if GT replaced the two year method they both would have 4 years.