By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Rumour: Sony Files Patent For Dynamic Content Switching Between Architecturally Distinct GPUs

BenVTrigger said:
Looked it up and it's a real patent issued by Sony

That basically confirms dual APU and GPU in next Playstation. Why else would they bother patenting something like that

Because it brings in money whenever somebody uses the principle?

Around the Network
zumnupy10 said:
According to the guys of Neogaf. The weaker GPU will be used for other functionalities , while a more powerful one will be used for games.

Power efficiency seems to be a main concern for Sony.

What I wrote here weeks/months ago. There is really no mystery to this patent. It's jut a way to collect money (like patents have become nowadays) if anyone goes the same/a similar route in the future.

adriane23 said:

Since no one want to actually provide a link to the actual patent.

You're welcome....

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220120320068%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120320068&RS=DN/20120320068

Thanks, lol.

How are we only just hearing about this? The patent was filed in July!

Mmmfishtacos said:

My laptop Has an A10 and it run Diablo 3 with everything up at 120 frames a second.

No it doesn't, don't make up stuff just to contradict people when you can easily be disproven. Check the figures at Anandtech (Diablo 3 is one of those non-taxing games that are often used to benchmark laptops, incidentally. For example http://www.anandtech.com/show/5865/laptop-graphics-face-off-diablo-iii-performance/3 ) Anandtech figures show typically 20fps for laptops with 1080p monitors.

Birimbau said:
Every day a new rumor appears, thanks that I don't believe in any them until the console and its specs are announced officially.

This isn't a rumor, SCEA actually filed this patent.

Around the Network

From what I understand this is all to make multi-tasking as easy and fast as possible.

You know how accessing the XMB while playing a PS3 game is extremely slow? The game is using up all the resources which is why the XMB is so low. With the PS4, one GPU will be dedicated to XMB/apps/etc while the other more powerful one is reserved for games only. This would make switching between an App and a game smooth as butter. This is exactly what the rumor from VG247 said about accessing the PS Store while in-game.

Sounds very promising.

drkohler said:
zumnupy10 said:
According to the guys of Neogaf. The weaker GPU will be used for other functionalities , while a more powerful one will be used for games.

Power efficiency seems to be a main concern for Sony.

What I wrote here weeks/months ago. There is really no mystery to this patent. It's jut a way to collect money (like patents have become nowadays) if anyone goes the same/a similar route in the future.

Most people will avoid implementing patented tech in their products. They will find a work around. THAT is the point of patents, to make your products unique and prevent competitors from using techniques you invented.

Great news if true... Sony is walking in the right path.

APU for SO and others backgrounds stuffs
GPU dedicaded to games

That is in line with the Sony said before... the SO and background stuffs will not interfer in the games... the oposite to PS3 you can run a lot of apps while play a game without performance sacrifices.

drkohler said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

My laptop Has an A10 and it run Diablo 3 with everything up at 120 frames a second.

No it doesn't, don't make up stuff just to contradict people when you can easily be disproven. Check the figures at Anandtech (Diablo 3 is one of those non-taxing games that are often used to benchmark laptops, incidentally. For example http://www.anandtech.com/show/5865/laptop-graphics-face-off-diablo-iii-performance/3 ) Anandtech figures show typically 20fps for laptops with 1080p monitors.

Well i have the game and the laptop and it in fact does. It runs 60 frames a second with out issue, and we all know that my screen is higher than 1080P. So there's that, I don't need a website to tell me what frames persecond I'm running. Thank you.

Interesting stuff.

That makes me think how long will it be until a studio finds a way to use both GPUs for games, like use the discrete GPU for all the graphic stuff and use the integrated one for things like physics and AI.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.