By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Android Fails in Business.

binary solo said:
I don't think Google or handset makers have done a good job of selling the Android phone ecosystem to business. When in fact it's easier customisability actually makes it a better option.

In theory, yes. In practical application, no. The amount of time a company spends to pay their IT department to work with different OS skins, vastly different hardware capabilities, and different OS versions outweighs any customization options Android offers the user. The short support lifespan of an Android device makes it difficult to keep all users on similar hardware and the same OS. Even though iOS can be a real pain in the ass at times, the fact that four years of phones can upgrade to the same OS is a HUGE time-saver for IT departments.

All Google has to do is force the same skin on all phones, force more consistent OS update schedules, and most of their problems vanish overnight. The only issue is whether they're going to start strong-arming some of their third party vendors to make this happen.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

And here's me still using an LG phone I brought 6 years ago, And was already outdated when I brought it lol

rocketpig said:
binary solo said:
I don't think Google or handset makers have done a good job of selling the Android phone ecosystem to business. When in fact it's easier customisability actually makes it a better option.

In theory, yes. In practical application, no. The amount of time a company spends to pay their IT department to work with different OS skins, vastly different hardware capabilities, and different OS versions outweighs any customization options Android offers the user. The short support lifespan of an Android device makes it difficult to keep all users on similar hardware and the same OS. Even though iOS can be a real pain in the ass at times, the fact that four years of phones can upgrade to the same OS is a HUGE time-saver for IT departments.

All Google has to do is force the same skin on all phones, force more consistent OS update schedules, and most of their problems vanish overnight. The only issue is whether they're going to start strong-arming some of their third party vendors to make this happen.

Other vendors? Maybe. But I don't think Google is in a position to strongarm Samsung into doing anything. Any attempt to force the issue would probably lead to a new Android fork.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
rocketpig said:
binary solo said:

Other vendors? Maybe. But I don't think Google is in a position to strongarm Samsung into doing anything. Any attempt to force the issue would probably lead to a new Android fork.

True. It may be too late for Google to reverse this momentum. They should have started off with a more hard-line approach to vendor skinning. It wouldn't have hurt their business. Phone manufacturers still need a phone OS and if Google stayed on top of updates and provided a free operating system, vendors would still have used Android. It beats paying Microsoft to use their (until recently) extremely lackluster mobile offerings.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Yeah, I can understand why they want windows phones and tablets so much, it links to the PC's in the office seamlessly with MS office, which is perfect for them. Android don't really have an answer to that. iPhones are great for them too, as a few mac apps can be found there too.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018