By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So...how much do you all estimate each Xbox360 costs to produce?

Well, they're still not making any profit. The RROD has probably cost them over 2 billion by now, and they're nearing $10 billion in overall losses from the Xbox brand.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
hoerenkind said:
Legend11 said:

Here's iSuppli's breakdown of cost for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 in November 2006:

PS3 and Xbox 360: Breakdown of production costs (US$)

Item

PS3 (60GB version)

Xbox 360 (20GB hard drive version)

Motherboard, CPU, graphics processor, chipset, etc.

Optical disc drive/player

Hard disc drive

Power supply

Bluetooth, 802.11 b/g network modules

N/A

Other components

N/A

Chassis and related

Assembly

Total cost

Retail price

The falcon chipset released in 2007 is known to have reduced the cost of the system.  Assuming an extremely conservative 25% drop in costs since 2006 a premium cost Microsoft ~$242.78 to make.  It's extremely likely in my opinion that the actual cost of making a premium is between $200-$242.78.

The reason why the PS3's manufacturing price has dropped so much compared to the Xbox 360 in one year is because the Xbox 360 experienced such a drop in it's first year of production (it went from ~$715 to ~$323.30 to produce.

that total cost is misleading it should be total production cost

That is the combined materials and manufacturing cost.

Here, see for yourself, here's an even more indept breakdown in which they state that it's the combined materals and manufacturing cost:

http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

exactly so marketing/shipping costs are NOT included

X-Man said:
Well, they're still not making any profit. The RROD has probably cost them over 2 billion by now, and they're nearing $10 billion in overall losses from the Xbox brand.

Dang, dude. Do you have a source for this other than your butt?

OT - My bad on the earnings ... and Legend, as always, has the correct info. 

madskillz said:
X-Man said:

RROD has indeed cost $1 billion so far according to MS themselves, and any Microsoft earnings report 2001-2007 shows over $10 billion in net losses since console production began.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

madskillz said:
X-Man said:

Lol, do you feel threatened or something? There's no need to be hostile.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Lost-7-Billion-on-Xbox-and-MSN-9486.shtml

Microsoft lost $7 billion on the original Xbox and MSN, most of it which was a result of Xbox production costs. Add that to the 3-? billion they've lost on the 360, and it's nearing $10 billion.

Around the Network

Considering thats Xbox AND MSN...Is not a fair representation.

Either way, I'd say the X360 is around the $220-$230 area + marketing and shipping through the supply chains.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Considering thats Xbox AND MSN...Is not a fair representation.

Either way, I'd say the X360 is around the $220-$230 area + marketing and shipping through the supply chains.

The majority of the $7 billion was lost on Xbox hardware, they reportedly lost a billion a year. Overall 360 losses are possibly worse factoring in the Red Ring of Death. 

X-Man said:
madskillz said:
X-Man said:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Lost-7-Billion-on-Xbox-and-MSN-9486.shtml

Microsoft lost $7 billion on the original Xbox and MSN, most of it which was a result of Xbox production costs. Add that to the 3-? billion they've lost on the 360, and it's nearing $10 billion.

No, I don't feel threatened. I knew it was high, but I wasn't counting on you adding MSN as well, which isn't part of the gaming division, no?

I am confident in my console choices. I will soon have all three consoles, but no real plans to expand my PS3 library at the moment ... 

madskillz said:
X-Man said:
madskillz said:
X-Man said:

No, I don't feel threatened. I knew it was high, but I wasn't counting on you adding MSN as well, which isn't part of the gaming division, no?

I am confident in my console choices. I will soon have all three consoles, but no real plans to expand my PS3 library at the moment ... 

Including MSN it's actually OVER $10 billion, excluding MSN it's closing in on it like I said.

X-Man said:
madskillz said:
X-Man said:
madskillz said:
X-Man said:

Including MSN it's actually OVER $10 billion, excluding MSN it's closing in on it like I said.

so what? we know they lost money but they are making now